I said I would never buy another Turntable...Argh !!!

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
i love my barn. it's the ultimate 'away' space for my hifi passion. and i can get as loud as i want, for as long as i want, when ever i want.

OTOH i miss having my dear wife (of 45 years Friday) down the hallway. there are many times when i wish she was more around my listening. hearing what i'm playing, poking her head in. i have to try much harder to do things with her and spend the time. and that does not always happen.

sure.....many wish they had the separate space. but that cuts both ways.

i'm sure you will find the joy in your new situation.

Congratulations on your 45th Anniversary!

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
30 seconds of this guy is all I could take, shouldn't have him in the same video with such a nice car :)!

david

Ironically, Doug DeMuro is one of the highest viewed car reviewers on YouTube with over 2.4M subscribers!

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Well I learned something new today....Wood joisted floors are springy...so much so that heavy walking makes the AF1 stylus skip. Looks like I will be adding 32’ of support beam to stop/reduce the spring in the fooor. Since going Vinyl again in 2010, I was on concrete basement flooring and clearly never experienced this problem.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
30 seconds of this guy is all I could take, shouldn't have him in the same video with such a nice car :)!

david
He is right about a lot, it is a weird car ! The computer for the instruments was made by a now defunct Texas company, that specialized in space technology.
These kind of screen went into space, and are also found on the big
SSL mixing pults in many recording studios. A really funky feature was
backup voice warnings, spoken trough a small speaker under the steering column, in high born British accent, a woman of course.
I still remember the first time my car spoke to me, “alternator, please check alternator “ and my wife looked at me and said “a woman of course, you love her more than me “ !:)

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Well I learned something new today....Wood joisted floors are springy...so much so that heavy walking makes the AF1 stylus skip. Looks like I will be adding 32’ of support beam to stop/reduce the spring in the fooor. Since going Vinyl again in 2010, I was on concrete basement flooring and clearly never experienced this problem.
Have David make you an extension of the “nothing rack”and cut a hole down to the concrete floor in the basement, it’s only wood !;)

Reactions: rockitman

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

looking at the picture in this post......

https://whatsbestforum.com/threads/...ther-turntable-argh.23947/page-93#post-551003

.......after noodling it for a few minutes, my thought is you have to somehow take the suspended wood floor out of the equation. don't think you will ever actually 'fix' that floor sufficiently to make the tt's entirely happy. all that mass moving just a little will not settle down anytime soon.

here is one way to do that (maybe there are easier ways).

think wall bracket. build a shelf a couple inches off the floor attached to the front and side walls. support it on the outside edge by posts going through the floor to the concrete floor below. you will hardly see them. they can be steel rod. they can be located directly under the Nothing Rack feet. you can have as many posts as you want. it can be perfectly stiff. and you will not need to walk on it.

this will remove the foot falls from the equation. both tt's can go on it. you will have to relocate your amps maybe. it won't be cheap, but it won't be major expensive and it should not upset the look of things.

Last edited:
Reactions: bonzo75 and Lagonda

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Unfortunately, while wood floors look great, they are imo not that desirable for the analog devotee. The reasons are as Christian just touched on, plus the fact that wood is actually a fairly soft surface (relatively speaking!) Most wooden floors are built over a sub surface, which can also be a softish compound. The net result is that once something heavy sits on the floor, the wood will tend to compress or flex. The other factor is that wood tends to have some deadening impact on the overall acoustics of the room, and in a way that is many times difficult to predict. Looks great, sound wise...:confused:

Last edited:

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

https://whatsbestforum.com/threads/...ther-turntable-argh.23947/page-93#post-551003

.......after noodling it for a few minutes, my thought is you have to somehow take the suspended wood floor out of the equation. don't think you will ever actually 'fix' that floor sufficiently to make the tt's entirely happy. all that mass moving just a little will not settle down anytime soon.

think wall bracket. build a shelf a couple inches off the floor attached to the front and side walls. support it on the outside edge by posts going through the floor to the concrete floor below. you will hardly see them. they can be steel rod. they can be located directly under the Nothing Rack feet. you can have as many as you want. it can perfectly stiff. and you will not need to walk on it.

this will remove the foot falls from the equation. both tt's can go on it. you will have to relocate your amps maybe. it won't be cheap, but it won't be major expensive and it should not upset the look of things.

I am not sure it needs to be attached to the walls. The key is isolating the platform from the floor. Just having a platform supported by whatever number of poles are needed, passing all the way to the basement floor should be sufficient. Easier said that done, I am sure.

Reactions: Lagonda

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I am not sure it needs to be attached to the walls. The key is isolating the platform from the floor. Just having a platform supported by whatever number of poles are needed, passing all the way to the basement floor should be sufficient. Easier said that done, I am sure.

for a cohesive look a raised gear platform will look proper and those massive walls will be an asset for stability. otherwise some sort of engineered in anti-sway would have to be designed in to deal with horizontal resonance. the walls, especially close to a floor junction, will be rock solid.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah

think wall bracket. build a shelf a couple inches off the floor attached to the front and side walls. support it on the outside edge by posts going through the floor to the concrete floor below. you will hardly see them. they can be steel rod. they can be located directly under the Nothing Rack feet. you can have as many posts as you want. it can be perfectly stiff. and you will not need to walk on it.

I took the bouncy floors into consideration and designed the lower section of The Nothing with it in mind, the engineering isn't visible and based on isolation principles used in large telescopes. Now the upper sections of the rack with the shelves are isolated from the floor within the lower side blocks. Top down vibration, resonance will dissipate through the lower blocks and floor up resonance will not reach the rack. The top shelf under the tt has 3 levels of isolation and resonance control, there's nothing (pun intended) getting to the tt, there's a reason it's called The Nothing:)!

At this point the issue with the floor is the bass from the speakers which also has a solution.

david

Reactions: tima and Lagonda

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I took the bouncy floors into consideration and designed the lower section of The Nothing with it in mind, the engineering isn't visible and based on isolation principles used in large telescopes. Now the upper sections of the rack with the shelves are isolated from the floor within the lower side blocks. Top down vibration, resonance will dissipate through the lower blocks and floor up resonance will not reach the rack. The top shelf under the tt has 3 levels of isolation and resonance control, there's nothing (pun intended) getting to the tt, there's a reason it's called The Nothing:)! At this point the issue with the floor is the bass from the speakers which also has a solution.

david
Christian is a big man with heavy feet ! :)

Reactions: ddk

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

That is fascinating. I'm surprised with the air isolation and HRS platform under the AF1 plus that new micro-laminated support beam under your gear. I also have a suspended wooden floor, and my house is much older with really soft wide pine boards and timber beams. I placed steel columns directly under each speaker/amp and two under my front end equipment rack. These go from the bedrock basement floor to the underside of the wood beams. Of course, the three Vibraplanes help also.

Perhaps all you need is two more of those expandable steel columns under that micro-laminated beam to make it more rigid. I'd try that first. Or place one column with a built up 2' X 2' plywood cap directly under the floor boards below your AF1.

I have thought about placing the speakers on a platform supported directly by columns to the basement completely independent of the listening room floor, but that solution would severely restrict speaker placement changes.

Last edited:
Reactions: lordcloud

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I took the bouncy floors into consideration and designed the lower section of The Nothing with it in mind, the engineering isn't visible and based on isolation principles used in large telescopes. Now the upper sections of the rack with the shelves are isolated from the floor within the lower side blocks. Top down vibration, resonance will dissipate through the lower blocks and floor up resonance will not reach the rack. The top shelf under the tt has 3 levels of isolation and resonance control, there's nothing (pun intended) getting to the tt, there's a reason it's called The Nothing:)!

At this point the issue with the floor is the bass from the speakers which also has a solution.

david

if you say it can neutralize a bouncy floor and footfalls, i suppose it likely will.

this should be educational.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
He is right about a lot, it is a weird car ! The computer for the instruments was made by a now defunct Texas company, that specialized in space technology.
These kind of screen went into space, and are also found on the big
SSL mixing pults in many recording studios. A really funky feature was
backup voice warnings, spoken trough a small speaker under the steering column, in high born British accent, a woman of course.
I still remember the first time my car spoke to me, “alternator, please check alternator “ and my wife looked at me and said “a woman of course, you love her more than me “ !:)

I remember the car well when it first came out we were living in UK and my friend got one of the first 10 off the production, it was difficult to service it back then how do you do it now?

david

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
if you say it can neutralize a bouncy floor and footfalls, i suppose it likely will.

this should be educational.
I know it will deal with the floor while tt is playing and the resonance from the bass won't affect it either but we have see how it deals with Chris stomping around.

david

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing