I said I would never buy another Turntable...Argh !!!

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Great progress, Christian!

Reactions: rockitman

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Keep the pictures flowing. Fun to watch the progress.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I plan to put the Herzan TS140 on the floor tomorrow to try the preamp on. I may eventually put both Lamm phono PS’s and the Allnic pHono PS stacked on top of each other on top of the TS140 instead of taking up rack space with them.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
If you replace the glass/doors with safety glass then you won’t need curtains to listen. I know people will say otherwise but they’re wrong. Unless you have treatment up the wall always reflects, but usually its a positive thing that adds 3d sound - as long as the speakers are not too close as the delay must be long enough not to smear.

The problem with windows is they sound bad when reflecting, not because the reflect. Safety glass dampens ringing so you actually get one of the best quality reflections outside of wood.

Reactions: mulveling

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
If you replace the glass/doors with safety glass then you won’t need curtains to listen. I know people will say otherwise but they’re wrong. Unless you have treatment up the wall always reflects, but usually its a positive thing that adds 3d sound - as long as the speakers are not too close as the delay must be long enough not to smear.

The problem with windows is they sound bad when reflecting, not because the reflect. Safety glass dampens ringing so you actually get one of the best quality reflections outside of wood.

That sounds like an very expensive option over just keeping the window treatments down.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I plan to put the Herzan TS140 on the floor tomorrow to try the preamp on. I may eventually put both Lamm phono PS’s and the Allnic pHono PS stacked on top of each other on top of the TS140 instead of taking up rack space with them.

The Lamm two PS stacking on top of each other is ok? No effect to sound or get too hot in your experience?

Kind regards,
Tang

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
That sounds like an very expensive option over just keeping the window treatments down.

Sure it’s expensive, but the alternative for me personally is never ever closing curtains unless someone else comes over. I would give up the hobby all together if I had to go vampire. I assume some may feel the same.

Christian has views all 360* so I wouldn’t be surprised if a man who buys a hundreds of acres, a $100k TT and so on, might splurdge for some specialized windows.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
i once had a similar situation in a Miami condo, about half the room was floor to ceiling hurricane proof windows. I did not want to mess up the ocean/beach
view but needed light/reflection control. A acoustic company made me 16 separate motorized acoustic curtains with black out curtains inside.
I had separate settings for home theater daytime mode,nighttime mode and music mode. One push of a button and the 120 inch perforated screen, the
curtains and the center channel (suspended on piano wire)came out of the ceiling. when not in use nothing was visible.

Reactions: rockitman

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
i once had a similar situation in a Miami condo, about half the room was floor to ceiling hurricane proof windows. I did not want to mess up the ocean/beach
view but needed light/reflection control. A acoustic company made me 16 separate motorized acoustic curtains with black out curtains inside.
I had separate settings for home theater daytime mode,nighttime mode and music mode. One push of a button and the 120 inch perforated screen, the
curtains and the center channel (suspended on piano wire)came out of the ceiling. when not in use nothing was visible.
Sound like a plaboy den.

Tang ;)

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I got a feeling that might be accurate for Lagonda.
That was the old me ! Now i’m just an old guy sitting between the speakers. :)

Reactions: christoph

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Sound like a plaboy den.

Tang ;)
Like you i was married at the time. To a Playboy girl ! A couple of times they
used my place for fotoshoots, i was very helpful! ;)

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

I have trouble believing that safety glass has the same noise reduction coefficient of, say, drywall. What is the NRC of safety glass?

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I said it reflects, not absorbs. Drywall does to a much lesser degree. Wood is pretty good at reflecting. The condition is simply the speaker cannot be too close to backwall, otherwise the reflections are bad.

The problem with regular windows is they ring, and the potentially beneficial reflections just sound fatiguing, and off.

I don’t see drywall in the photo.

Reactions: PeterA

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
You definitely don’t want to stack the Lamm pieces.
david

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing