I said I would never buy another Turntable...Argh !!!

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I’m hearing great sound right out of the box. There is room for the sound, quite literally compared to the basement dungeon I came from.
That dungeon sure had some nice “torture devices” ! :)

Reactions: rockitman

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I
considering the ddk influence, the odds are higher going to horns, which would also play more to that room than dynamic cones. the only drawback is that big horns would block the view. but less so than lowered window coverings.

I just don’t see horns being the right speaker for the Grateful Dead.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I already had a re-inforcement beam installed with a 30,000lb load capacity. There will be no floor bowing or deformation. It runs right underneath the equipment area/right speaker. The flooring is 1” oak on top of 1” plywood (radiant heated floor) which sits on the floor joists. Perhaps a floor plate will be in order. I can always take the top plate from my herzan AVI table unit and put the AS/AS Stand on top of that. The steel plate would disperse the feet loads more evenly.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention...
We might have to use that plate but it will look and sound better if we cover it with matching wood flooring or a rug.

The Nothing has been improved since that first prototype, there’s a new foot design and the upper section is now isolated from the lower section and feet to avoid floor born vibrations or bouncy floor affecting the rack.

david

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I

I just don’t see horns being the right speaker for the Grateful Dead.

Looks like I haven't heard the full potential of Wilson Alexandria X-2.2 yet.... (Big Room and I like what I'm hearing so far), so they are staying for the foreseeable future. If horns can play rock, they can play grateful dead. GD is psychedelic electrified blues/rock anyway...

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Looks like I haven't heard the full potential of Wilson Alexandria X-2.2 yet.... (Big Room and I like what I'm hearing so far), so they are staying for the foreseeable future. If horns can play rock, they can play grateful dead. GD is psychedelic electrified blues/rock anyway...

Dear Christian,

I remember my deadhead friends having me try shroom listening to GD at boarding school. Everything went psychedelic, the Mickey Mouse from a towel hanging even came out dancing, and the music sounded fantastic regardless of speakers. In fact it was just a beatup hand painted boombox. So I think definitely there is a way for horns to do psychedelic :p.

Kindest regards,
Tang

Reactions: kodomo and dminches

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Dear Christian,

I remember my deadhead friends having me try shroom listening to GD at boarding school. Everything went psychedelic, the Mickey Mouse from a towel hanging even came out dancing, and the music sounded fantastic regardless of speakers. In fact it was just a beatup hand painted boombox. So I think definitely there is a way for horns to do psychedelic :p.

Kindest regards,
Tang
Awesome story Tang !!! Sounds like it was a blast !

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
We might have to use that plate but it will look and sound better if we cover it with matching wood flooring or a rug.

The Nothing has been improved since that first prototype, there’s a new foot design and the upper section is now isolated from the lower section and feet to avoid floor born vibrations or bouncy floor affecting the rack.

david

This reminds me a bit of Tang's Stacore rack construction which seems quite clever.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing