I2S cable recommendation?

jfx

Apr 30, 2020
Hi I'm looking for I2S recommendations maybe under 500 USD. Not huge fan on Audioquest. Was thinking Phasure may be a good option but would love to hear some suggestions. Using for Rockna Wavelight Server to Wavelight DAC. Ideally <1m. Thanks.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hi I'm looking for I2S recommendations maybe under 500 USD. Not huge fan on Audioquest. Was thinking Phasure may be a good option but would love to hear some suggestions. Using for Rockna Wavelight Server to Wavelight DAC. Ideally <1m. Thanks.
It's hdmi cable format.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019
1. https://stordiau.com/collections/cables-and-more-snakes-oil/products/hdmi-2-i2s-cable
2. https://www.tubulus.net/product/tubulus-argentus-i2s-cable/
3. https://shop.sommercable.com/en/Cable/HiFi-Home/Multimediakabel-EXCELSIOR-BlueWater-EBH4.html

I'm thinking of getting No.2 though CK's recommendation of CC looks delicious too. Going to use it to connect my recent purchase, the Gaia DDC to the Terminator. If anyone has other first hand experience please do share. I have only used a AQ Chocolate before and it was ok. Thank you guys.

Reactions: CKKeung

MTB Vince

May 11, 2019
Dundas, ON Canada
Revelation Audio Labs advertising on A'gon. He is asking $700 for the 1.25m length but if my experience is any indicator, he'll accept an offer closer to your budget @jfx

jfx

Apr 30, 2020
Thanks for the heads up Vince. Tough choice.. Revelation cables look good, haven't heard much of Crystal Cable but their HDMI looks well built too.

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019
Revelation Audio Labs advertising on A'gon. He is asking $700 for the 1.25m length but if my experience is any indicator, he'll accept an offer closer to your budget @jfx
Just contacted him on audio gon. Any prior experience with his cables sir.

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Be careful of purchasing RAL new . Delivery maybe an issue . Do search RAL audiogon

Reactions: Abyss Man

MTB Vince

May 11, 2019
Dundas, ON Canada
Just contacted him on audio gon. Any prior experience with his cables sir.

At the behest of several keen members of the PS Audio forum, I purchased a 1.25m example to run as I2S between my CD transport and PS Audio DirectStream DAC. This allowed me to repurpose the Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 HDMI between our Oppomod 203 and the pre-processor. I still need one more nice HDMI between a new Oppomod I2S output card I added to the UHD-203 and the DirectStream for 2ch SACD and DVD-A playback. I'm leaning toward a 2nd RAL cable for that.

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019
Guys I'm leaning towards the Tubulus Argentus HDMI any impressions from that manufacturer? The Phasure looks good too. Any inputs and personal experiences are highly welcomed and thank you so much.

ag3__

Jul 31, 2020
Guys I'm leaning towards the Tubulus Argentus HDMI any impressions from that manufacturer? The Phasure looks good too. Any inputs and personal experiences are highly welcomed and thank you so much.

Im on the same quest. The rest of my cables are OCC Silver from Audiosensibility and I absolutely love them. Unfortunately he doesn't offer an HDMI using OCC Silver. I'm using a SOTM unit into a SU-1 then HDMI out into the Rockna Wavedream SE.

I've got both the RAL and Tubulus Argentus on hand.

The RAL looks distinctively handmade (i.e. not finished like a high end cable). It is extremely detailed - moreso than even my AES cable from AudioSens. Great upper mids and up. Lots of air. Huge soundstage and great imaging. Clean clean clean sounding cable. However - it's light on the bottom end, and not the most dense/full sound. More.of an introspective/cinematic listen than a toe tapping.

The Tubulus is the opposite. Well built. Not as detailed as my AES cable (3rd place) but great full sounding lower mid range and bass is extremely clean and powerful. Upper mids and highs lack detail and sheen compared to the other 2. Very little air. This cable is still breaking in but generally you can tell the overall sound of the cable early.

Long story short - 2 different cables. If I could combine them both they'd be perfect but as things stand I'm not 100% satisfied with either however the detail on the RAL is addicting.

I'm hoping WW comes out with an OCC Silver HDMI. They've started using this in the #8 line.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ugc and CKKeung

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
Not sure if this helps, but I purchased a tubulus phono/power supply umbilical which was custom made for me.

Both cable and service was excellent and a definite upgrade, so I can recommend the company to you at least.

good luck with your search

ag3__

Jul 31, 2020
Not sure if this helps, but I purchased a tubulus phono/power supply umbilical which was custom made for me.

Both cable and service was excellent and a definite upgrade, so I can recommend the company to you at least.

good luck with your search

Totally agree - fantastic company to deal with

jazzbug88

Aug 6, 2020
I'm in the same boat, need a good HDMI cable between my DCC and PS Audio DSD.
There are RAL, Phasure & Tubulus, any suggestion and experience please?

MTB Vince

May 11, 2019
Dundas, ON Canada
I'm in the same boat, need a good HDMI cable between my DCC and PS Audio DSD.
There are RAL, Phasure & Tubulus, any suggestion and experience please?

Can't speak to the latter two products but my RAL I2S (HDMI) cable sounds great between the Jay's CDT2 and the DSD. Don't expect speedy delivery of this handmade cable though... Or a snug fit in component jacks.

jazzbug88

Aug 6, 2020
Can't speak to the latter two products but my RAL I2S (HDMI) cable sounds great between the Jay's CDT2 and the DSD. Don't expect speedy delivery of this handmade cable though... Or a snug fit in component jacks.
Thx MTB Vince, I heard about that about RAL from afew forums, that's bit worry.
But thanks for the input:)

ag3__

Jul 31, 2020
I can recommend both RAL and Tubulus. See my post above. RAL for more detail, Tubulus for more bottom end and fullness.

I actually didn't have too many issues with the RAL delivery .. took him a few days longer to ship than he had said. (Tip .. when asking for an update email .. tell him you're looking to grab more alot more cables from him .. leverage).

Honestly Phazure has paragraphs of writing but I'm simple, I just want silver conductor (4N+) a decent gauge and good connects. And I can't find that on their product page so not interested.

Reactions: richard_crl032

MTB Vince

May 11, 2019
Dundas, ON Canada
My RAL cable was actually shipped within a day or two payment but that has definitely not been a consistent thing with other members on the PS Audio Forums. Some were run around for several weeks before the immediately provided tracking number showed a package actually going into the mail system.

jazzbug88

Aug 6, 2020
I can recommend both RAL and Tubulus. See my post above. RAL for more detail, Tubulus for more bottom end and fullness.

I actually didn't have too many issues with the RAL delivery .. took him a few days longer to ship than he had said. (Tip .. when asking for an update email .. tell him you're looking to grab more alot more cables from him .. leverage).

Honestly Phazure has paragraphs of writing but I'm simple, I just want silver conductor (4N+) a decent gauge and good connects. And I can't find that on their product page so not interested.
Thx ag3, I read your impression of RAL & Tubulus, it's literally the only review I could find online of the comparison. I totally trust your first hand info. Not sure if your Tubulus has improved after the burn in?
I'm totally with your for the RAL & Tubulus result, also the Phasure cable material non silver item. Actually after their tech read I don't even know what material it uses, guess its copper.
The 3 cable are all in my price range, I just want to buy one and it's troubling:confused:

ag3__

Jul 31, 2020
Thx ag3, I read your impression of RAL & Tubulus, it's literally the only review I could find online of the comparison. I totally trust your first hand info. Not sure if your Tubulus has improved after the burn in?
I'm totally with your for the RAL & Tubulus result, also the Phasure cable material non silver item. Actually after their tech read I don't even know what material it uses, guess its copper.
The 3 cable are all in my price range, I just want to buy one and it's troubling:confused:

If I had to pick, the RAL is the winner. The lack of reverb/air/trails around instruments on the Tubulus was a deal breaker for me. I can live with quieter, albeit ultra clean bass, on the RAL in exchange for top notch detail.

Unless your system is already too lean/quick and needs some body, I think the RAL is the best choice.

Reactions: richard_crl032

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing