Ian's Audio Set-Up

IanG-UK

Apr 11, 2011
Here is my partially completed listening room with Advanced Acoustics foam in the corners and GIK panels at the back and sides. Eventually the corners will have curtaining so that the set-up is visually more acceptable. The Magico M3 speakers are ideal for the room - producing a clean extended and dimensional sound with the speakers being narrow enough to not dominate the space.

Devialet Expert Pro 1000 (OdA) with Antipodes CX server and EX renderer (primary source) and P1 Ripper and P2 reclocker with extra digital outputs. Also with Roon source.

On side wall, MacBookPro (secondary source - Devialet Air) with iPads and router. Also with Qobuz source.

In another room behind wall behind Devialet 1000, Shunyata Triton and Typhon.

I hope this now stops me buying anything else!

Attachments

• photos hifi A.jpeg
    photos hifi A.jpeg
    117.6 KB · Views: 5
  • photos hifi B2.jpeg
    photos hifi B2.jpeg
    80.7 KB · Views: 8
  • photos hifi C2.jpeg
    photos hifi C2.jpeg
    91.4 KB · Views: 6
  • photos hifi D.jpeg
    photos hifi D.jpeg
    73.2 KB · Views: 8

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Here is my partially completed listening room... The Magico M3 speakers are ideal for the room... Devialet Expert Pro 1000 (OdA) with Antipodes CX server and EX renderer (primary source) and P1 Ripper and P2 reclocker with extra digital outputs. In another room behind wall behind Devialet 1000, Shunyata Triton and Typhon.
I hope this now stops me buying anything else!
Great gear you’ve built up Ian, also love the very valiant intention of getting to a stepping off buying any more gear phase... the best of British on that... the oh so difficult aim of oh so many of us! :D Happy listening with it all!

IanG-UK

Apr 11, 2011
Yes I have been there before and failed. Hopefully increasing maturity and the industry heading down a single local or external streaming source will stop me buying more. And "the best of British" for a UK based guy ironically results in kit made in New Zealand, France and USA x 3. The first time ever without a British component! Unless you count the cheap foam corner units.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

IanG-UK

Apr 11, 2011
Great gear you’ve built up Ian, also love the very valiant intention of getting to a stepping off buying any more gear phase... the best of British on that... the oh so difficult aim of oh so many of us! :D Happy listening with it all!

I must admit to admiring your Harbeth loudspeakers. I'm not sure whether you are UK based but you could get nothing more of a UK company than Harbeth, at least since the demise of so many others. Alan Shaw (he must be 70) runs it still, I believe, and is a no nonsense guy! I think the 40.2 is the reference.

You might know, a few years ago, about Alan Shaw's challenge that if anyone could reliably identify the differences between two well engineered amplifiers of sufficient power, using the 40.2s, he would give them a pair. I think it related to a Naim customer claim at the time. No one took up the challenge.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I must admit to admiring your Harbeth loudspeakers. I'm not sure whether you are UK based but you could get nothing more of a UK company than Harbeth, at least since the demise of so many others. Alan Shaw (he must be 70) runs it still, I believe, and is a no nonsense guy! I think the 40.2 is the reference.

You might know, a few years ago, about Alan Shaw's challenge that if anyone could reliably identify the differences between two well engineered amplifiers of sufficient power, using the 40.2s, he would give them a pair. I think it related to a Naim customer claim at the time. No one took up the challenge.
The big Harbys can win you over musically. They do reflect the spirit of the amp they are partnered with though and I’ve heard quite a few different good amps on them and they all sounded different (thank heavens).

I have them to use them in a shared living space where they make music for everyone and also when I am at home working and the focus can be on a range of things, just living and being with others, cooking, eating, enjoying day to day life.

The pap horns and Maggie 20.7s are for me different in that just make you listen absolutely 100 per cent and are (for me) for very much dedicated listening (say for one or two listeners) where it is the music that is central and the sole focus of the time. I love all three speakers because they do different things, create different experiences and also have different roles... but one pair is likely to go eventually :oops:

Last edited:

IanG-UK

Apr 11, 2011
Now completed with curtaining!

IMG_1323.jpg

brodricj

Mar 13, 2016
1. You need Mpods on those M3 as the next upgrade path.
2. Way too much toe-in on those speakers.

IanG-UK

Apr 11, 2011
1. You need Mpods on those M3 as the next upgrade path.
2. Way too much toe-in on those speakers.

Hi thanks for suggestions.

1. Yes, the Mpods would be an option but there are two things holding me back.

First, they cost £10k which is just crazy. That, with discount, almost buys two pairs of Quad ESL2812 loudspeakers!

Second, it is impossible to comparatively test them. It is a three person job to lay the speakers on their sides and connect the Mpods and reposition them. I guess this would take 90 minutes. And another 90 minutes to take them off. I am not prepared to buy Mpods speculatively at this stage when there are better things to do with money. Were they essential, Magico would not sell the speakers without them, so I regard them as a discretionary addition and one of questionable spend. I bet that, apart from Magico themselves, there is no one in the world who has been able to do a true comparative listening test. Alan Sircom in HiFi+, who tested them, almost certainly did not do the "With Mpod/Without Mpod" comparison. Of course, the passage of time might tempt me!

2. The toe-in is in accordance with Magico's recommendation and following conversations with Peter Mackay who is their Vice-President of Marketing and Sales. And they sound really good. So they will stay as they are!

brodricj

Mar 13, 2016
Normally the speakers should be toed-in to intersect with a point 1-2' behind the listening position. If they sound too dull toe them in a little more. Your speakers appear to be intersecting a point in front of the listening position. I've never seen a pair of M3 toed in that much before, unless the photo is giving a wrong impression of the angles.

And about fitting Mpods. It's a two person job and you don't need to lay the speakers on their sides. The job can be done in 15 minutes.

IanG-UK

Apr 11, 2011
Thanks for that. The picture does give the wrong impression. They intersect at the listening position and, as you say, the general Magico recommendation is that intersection should be in an experimental range from the listening position to 2 feet behind it. I probably favour the more direct delivery - I must avoid using terms "bright" or "dull" or "transparent" or "smooth" to suggest any criticism in any direction!

I hadn't appreciated the "easier" Mpod job. The speakers are a hell of a move for just two people - and the thought of one person tilting them whilst the other fits the Mpods gives me a picture of the speaker sliding along the granite stand and breaking in two. With a £45k bill!

brodricj

Mar 13, 2016
Bright and dull are accepted words for the process. Too bright, toe out. Too dull, toe in.

The speaker won't slide when fitting Mpods. No drama at all for two sturdy lads to fit them.

brodricj

Mar 13, 2016
Oh, I might also mention, I like the Typhon/Triton combination. I'm actually looking for a Typhon to buy myself but they are difficult to find.

IanG-UK

Apr 11, 2011
Yes I believe Caelin is steadily withdrawing the Typhon/Triton product as I believe he thinks it is commercially non-tenable and/or he is producing new things which address more issues whilst still thinking that the Typhon/Triton is the best in its particular field. But I won't trying the newer stuff as the Typhon/Triton for me is housed perfectly and I suspect the price penalty for changing is disproportionate as is the case with most high-end kit!

brodricj

Mar 13, 2016
Typhon/Triton was discontinued quite a while ago. Closeout Typhon was on Musc Direct months ago but I missed out. Typhon is universal voltage hence why I wanted to lay my hands on one of those. Triton is not.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing