Ideal Network for Audio?

Germanboxers

Dec 14, 2015
I could really use some help from you network and network audio experts. I will be replacing my lampizator Golden Gate Dac fed via USB from a capsv3 computer (linear power supply fed) as an NAA (roon + HQPlayer in office does the heavy lifting) in the music room to an MSB Reference DAC with renderer V2. My intent was to move the capsv3 computer near the switch in the basement and just plug in an ethernet cable into the MSB renderer.

Attached image shows how the network is arrange. What is the ideal network arrangement for Audio? Any other thoughts?
Audio Layout-4-1-2019.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: jaynyc

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I could really use some help from you network and network audio experts. I will be replacing my lampizator Golden Gate Dac fed via USB from a capsv3 computer (linear power supply fed) as an NAA (roon + HQPlayer in office does the heavy lifting) in the music room to an MSB Reference DAC with renderer V2. My intent was to move the capsv3 computer near the switch in the basement and just plug in an ethernet cable into the MSB renderer.

Attached image shows how the network is arrange. What is the ideal network arrangement for Audio? Any other thoughts?
View attachment 49997
Hello Germanboxer,
Possible to replace your Cisco switch in the Basement Utility with a SOtM sNH-10G switch and run an optical fiber to another SOtM switch in your Music/HT Room which then connect your MSB Ref DAC with a good ethernet cable such as Vertere/Dalby Audio Meda?

I guess you will give LPS to all the network components.

jturbo

Jan 20, 2018
Lexington, KY
Hello Germanboxer,
Possible to replace your Cisco switch in the Basement Utility with a SOtM sNH-10G switch and run an optical fiber to another SOtM switch in your Music/HT Room which then connect your MSB Ref DAC with a good ethernet cable such as Vertere/Dalby Audio Meda?

I guess you will give LPS to all the network components.

Would you still use LPSes on the upstream cisco and sotm switch?
If so, im wondering how the noise is introducing across the fiber between the sotm switches. Or do you think there is another mechanism at work?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Would you still use LPSes on the upstream cisco and sotm switch?
If so, im wondering how the noise is introducing across the fiber between the sotm switches. Or do you think there is another mechanism at work?

If feasible, please use LPS for the whole CAS/network system.

Friends and I did comparison.
Even one single switching psu in the house will make the sound worse.
IMHO please remove all such switching psu from the wallsockets, even if the electrical appliance supplied by them are not turned on.
You may do such an experiment at home easily.

I am not a tech guy but believe that switching psu will pollute the powerlines of the whole house.

jturbo

Jan 20, 2018
Lexington, KY
This is a measurement on ground (safety earth) with a smps plugged into the powergrid. You will measure this everywhere in your home. The scale is in KHz.

View attachment 50012

I use a torus isolation xformer. Would that filter the rest of the house? If not, our houses are full of dozens of low end power supplies.

I think my spouse would love me putting the entire house on power strips to clean up the audio.
I think the advertisement would be to eliminate phantom power.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
I use a torus isolation xformer. Would that filter the rest of the house? If not, our houses are full of dozens of low end power supplies.

I think my spouse would love me putting the entire house on power strips to clean up the audio.
I think the advertisement would be to eliminate phantom power.

Usually the secondary is referenced (connected) to ground (safety earth) so it does not do anything about this unfortunately.

Reactions: CKKeung

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...)
Even one single switching psu in the house will make the sound worse.
IMHO please remove all such switching psu from the wallsockets, even if the electrical appliance supplied by them are not turned on.
You may do such an experiment at home easily.

I am not a tech guy but believe that switching psu will pollute the powerlines of the whole house.

IMHO only if you do not take proper actions to isolate your audio mains from disturbances or your system has abnormal susceptibility to mains or ground noise.

Systems have such variance that IMHO in these aspects we can not expect that what results in our system results in other systems.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing