Identification of members

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
As a long time member and one that was told that I did have to identify myself and what my business affliations were I think that all members should use their real names and have to post their real systems if they want to be allowed to post. I personally find way to many that act like experts and yet they have no credentials published or non published.
Your thoughts?
The internet is full of fakers, phonies and BS artistsand I believe that this forum should be a "real" place. Why not make WBF a shinning example of what the internet could truly be!
Ok now come get me :)

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
As a long time member and one that was told that I did have to identify myself and what my business affliations were I think that all members should use their real names and have to post their real systems if they want to be allowed to post. I personally find way to many that act like experts and yet they have no credentials published or non published.
Your thoughts?
The internet is full of fakers, phonies and BS artistsand I believe that this forum should be a "real" place. Why not make WBF a shinning example of what the internet could truly be!
Ok now come get me :)
we totally agree Elliot and to that extent it is clearly defined in WBF's Terms of Service Article 13

DeadWax

Apr 11, 2020
Be careful going to this path. While I understand your intent, this type of "gatekeeping" can be perceived as not being inclusive and generally off-putting to folks wanting to participate at all which would be contrary to the site's "mission" of sharing.

Reactions: jeff1225

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Be careful going to this path. While I understand your intent, this type of "gatekeeping" can be perceived as not being inclusive and generally off-putting to folks wanting to participate at all which would be contrary to the site's "mission" of sharing.
IMO anyone can read but to give your opinion its only fair that you are identified to show some validity.
Inclusion come on dont go there no one is stopped from reading but pretending to be an expert when you are FOS is just wrong.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
we totally agree Elliot and to that extent it is clearly defined in WBF's Terms of Service Article 13

Steve I just went through someone who I wont name insulting and trying to discredit me by him stating all his education and his letters from Nasa yet to my surprise no one knows who he is. Then others want to jump on the pile and they have nothing listed as well.
THis site can be a real castle on the hill if people truly had to be real IMO,
This rule should apply to all not just industry members

DeadWax

Apr 11, 2020
but pretending to be an expert when you are FOS is just wrong.
Agreed! Sounds like you're aiming to strike the right balance.

Reactions: Elliot G.

Steve Williams

Steve I just went through someone who I wont name insulting and trying to discredit me by him stating all his education and his letters from Nasa yet to my surprise no one knows who he is. Then others want to jump on the pile and they have nothing listed as well.
THis site can be a real castle on the hill if people truly had to be real IMO,
This rule should apply to all not just industry members
I saw that as well Elliot. That individual is well known for those very antics and as far as we know he is nothing more than an enthusiast and a chest pumper. We have an ignore button for such members. What we have asked members in the past is that if they see someone who states he is a reviewer or has credentials but not shown in his signature, they should report the post and the mods will reach out and insist that the member's industry affiliation be added to his signature section

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
True story. I attended a lecture once by a dear friend and mentor who was also the well-respected Chairman of his Department. On his title slide for the lecture, he listed himself as “Chief of Intergalactic Ophthalmology”. Someone in the audience burst out and said “Who gave you that title”. He replied “I did”. The dialog continued “What organization sanctioned that?” “The one I just created” he replied. The audience laughed. The lecture then went on to present some very erudite medical arguments of why residents, fellows and practitioners shouldn’t believe everything they read. At the conclusion of the lecture, he asked the audience “Now, who here really thinks I am the Chief of Intergalactic Ophthalmology? He made his point. So it is with the charlatans, twits and goof-balls we encounter on many public forums these days. Not sure imposing real identification would be an effective remedy. “Don’t believe everything you read” comes to mind as perhaps the most useful guidance here.

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Carlos doesnt need NASA papers afaik. ;)
If he has only half the gear that he posts about in his vids , then he is the Audiophile GOAT afaik :cool:.
I think WBF works just fine

Last edited:

Steve Williams

It's simple....for the member Elliot referred to .....
1. Use the IGNORE button as he is not a reviewer or a member of the industry but rather someone who has an inflated image of himself.If everyone uses the IGNORE function. said members get the message real fast

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
It is very easy to identify the ignorant, charlatans, twits and goof-balls by what they post. And likewise, it is very easy to identify the educated and knowledgeable also by what they post. Identify is one thing, facts are a matter all together much more powerful and insightful.

Reactions: cjfrbw and PeterA

Steve Williams

It is very easy to identify the ignorant, charlatans, twits and goof-balls by what they post. And likewise, it is very easy to identify the educated and knowledgeable also by what they post. Identify is one thing, facts are a matter all together much more powerful and insightful.
Like I said.....IGNORE.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
True story. I attended a lecture once by a dear friend and mentor who was also the well-respected the Chairman of his Department. On his title slide for the lecture, he listed himself as “Chief of Intergalactic Ophthalmology”. Someone in the audience burst out and said “Who gave you that title”. He replied “I did”. The dialog continued “What organization sanctioned that” “The one I just created” he replied. The audience laughed. The lecture then went on to present some very erudite medical arguments of why residents, fellows and practitioners shouldn’t believe everything they read. At the conclusion of the lecture, he asked the audience “Now, who here really thinks I am the Chief of Intergalactic Ophthalmology? He made his point. So it is with the charlatans, twits and goof-balls we encounter on many public forums these days. Not sure imposing real identification would be an effective remedy. “Don’t believe everything you read” comes to mind as perhaps the most useful guidance here.
Marty, Self ID is *all* the rage.
"I feel, therefore I am".

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I don't think Yyou have to use your real name unless you are here for profit

I have always used my real name with one exception. I was having some fun. I thought would eventually figure out who I was and eventually someone told them.
These are crazy times I have been the subject of some nasty comments. They could find out where you live and work. Someone could call and subject you to further harrassment.

Reactions: SCAudiophile

MaxwellsEq

Mar 18, 2023
I know companies and people that work for them that use Twitter and Instagram feeds and posts on discussion groups to identify individuals and their personal preferences etc. They use the resultant models to do market research which they sell to large companies.

As one of them said to me last week, "why do people put their names in their posts and account names, or their birth year or age in their account names or handles. I'd never do that". It was an interesting observation.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I find it difficult enough to remember one name for each member, let alone two names for many members.

Reactions: sujay

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
BTW IMO this is why nothing changes in our world. No one is willing to try anything that might improve anything unless there is money to be made.
My father was , and I am sad that I have to agree with him, that if you want to know the truth follow the money.
I find it difficult enough to remember one name for each member, let alone two names for many members.
i know your name :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing