Identification of members

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
once again and in very simple terms, the only reason article 13 is in our TOS is the very reason Mike stated.....nothing more

i want to understand who i'm dealing with to connect the dots. find common ground. learn something.

as for using your real name rather than a pseudonym that has never been a demand by WBF. There are many fora who insist one's real name be used in order to post.....we don't

I believe Elliott had this intent clearly in mind when he started this thread ....divulging one's industry affiliation creates a common ground for members to understand with whom they are interchanging posts. Nothing more. For this to cause chest thumping by one member is IMO nothing more than a distraction . I maintain that such distractions in a forum such as ours is tantamount to a fly on a horse's ass. Hit the IGNORE button and the person craving attention will find his chest pumping is only heard by himself

oeno

Jun 7, 2014
I think all dealers should be given a sub forum called Wheat.

All others should be in a sub forum called Chaff. As long as we stick to these forums and don’t intersect I am happy
I think all dealers should be given a sub forum called Weeta. All others should be in a sub forum called bix (note the non-capitalization). While this might unfairly tilt toward UK users, at least those chaffed (not chuffed) are in a forum called by the first name of the greatest white trumpet player.....

Reactions: bonzo75

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
once again and in very simple terms, the only reason article 13 is in our TOS is the very reason Mike stated.....nothing more

How can I access the TOS (forum rules, I suppose)? I can't easily find it in the menu after searching for a few minutes.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
How can I access the TOS (forum rules, I suppose)? I can't easily find it in the menu after searching for a few minutes.

“Terms and rules“ is at the bottom of the page when using an iPad.

1A9BE2CD-78AE-441B-9853-8AD23AB9A3E4.png

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

Scroll to the bottom of the page.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Ok, thanks guys!

That's kinda hidden. As I said, I couldn't easily find it, in the top menu that is, which is a problem I think.

Or not.

In the eyes of the beholder, I guess.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

you don’t have to scroll to bottom they are at the very top subforum Forum Announcements

Republicoftexas69

As a long time member and one that was told that I did have to identify myself and what my business affliations were I think that all members should use their real names and have to post their real systems if they want to be allowed to post. I personally find way to many that act like experts and yet they have no credentials published or non published.
Your thoughts?
The internet is full of fakers, phonies and BS artistsand I believe that this forum should be a "real" place. Why not make WBF a shinning example of what the internet could truly be!
Ok now come get me :)
My name is Jeff, I am a ME and EE work in mechanical power transmission for HDD, AWD and Power Sports. I think your post is silly. Oh and my system is posted.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
My name is Jeff, I am a ME and EE work in mechanical power transmission for HDD, AWD and Power Sports. I think your post is silly. Oh and my system is posted.
Nice to meet you Jeff .

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Nice to meet you Jeff .
This reminds me of the Seinfeld sketch where Kramer wanted everyone in NYC to wear name badges, so everyone could all talk to each other.
"Hey...Bill...how's it going?"
"Hey...Jack...great, just great. You?"

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

you don’t have to scroll to bottom they are at the very top subforum Forum Announcements

You still have to go to the subform "Forum Announcements" and then it is at the bottom of "sticky threads" (who looks there?). That's hidden, in my book.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
One last thing about our TOS …..they were drafted by three lawyers

1. We don’t control what members posts. Furthermore, please understand that we cannot and will not read every post on the forum. As such, nothing should be viewed as opinions of the forum owners.

Steve, I am suggesting that someone can indeed control what members post. I think TOS #1 needs clarification.

3. Please do not use this forum to post any material which is knowingly false...

You and I disagree about my assertion regarding #1. One of us is posting material that is knowingly false. I stated that ddk's signature was deleted by someone without his knowledge or consent. You commented that my post is "total misinformation."

If my comment is false, I am willing to be corrected and I will retract my comment and apologize and the moderators can suspend or ban me for violating TOS #3. If that comment is true, then your assertion that my post is total misinformation is knowingly false, and you are in violation of TOS #3. Which is it?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
1. We don’t control what members posts. Furthermore, please understand that we cannot and will not read every post on the forum. As such, nothing should be viewed as opinions of the forum owners.

Steve, I am suggesting that someone can indeed control what members post. I think TOS #1 needs clarification.

3. Please do not use this forum to post any material which is knowingly false...

You and I disagree about my assertion regarding #1. One of us is posting material that is knowingly false. I stated that ddk's signature was deleted by someone without his knowledge or consent. You commented that my post is "total misinformation."

If my comment is false, I am willing to be corrected and I will retract my comment and apologize and the moderators can suspend or ban me for violating TOS #3. If that comment is true, then your assertion that my post is total misinformation is knowingly false, and you are in violation of TOS #3. Which is it?

1 - Peter, I can say with 100% certainty that the moderators did not change anyone’s signature.

2 - How can anyone control what someone posts?

3 - Why are you so concerned with ddk’s account?

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
This reminds me of the Seinfeld sketch where Kramer wanted everyone in NYC to wear name badges, so everyone could all talk to each other.
"Hey...Bill...how's it going?"
"Hey...Jack...great, just great. You?"
Billy Ray Valentine...Capricorn

Reactions: Bobvin

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
1 - Peter, I can say with 100% certainty that the moderators did not change anyone’s signature.

2 - How can anyone control what someone posts?

3 - Why are you so concerned with ddk’s account?

dminches,

I am not assuming that the moderators did change anyone's signature. I do not know who did. I mean "control what someone posts" in the sense that it can be edited and erased after the fact. I think it is possible based on the example I give.

I am concerned because ddk's signature did not disappear on its own. Up the thread someone asked if the TOS is enforceable. I responded that someone can enter accounts and delete or edit content including signatures. That implies the TOS is enforceable by someone. It seems that someone does not have to inform the member or apparently others involved in moderating or owning the site. It is either true or false. ddk tells me he had nothing to do with it, his signature just disappeared one day.

I think someone deleted it. If that is true, I think it is fair to be honest about it and for the members to understand that this happened, that it is possible, and that it can happen again. It seems the account itself can not be deleted because WBF needs it to access the content which has value. This very issue prompted others to leave the site. I am curious if it is true in the spirit of transparency and better understanding what can happen.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
dminches,

I am not assuming that the moderators did change anyone's signature. I do not know who did. I mean "control what someone posts" in the sense that it can be edited and erased after the fact. I think it is possible based on the example I give.

I am concerned because ddk's signature did not disappear on its own. Up the thread someone asked if the TOS is enforceable. I responded that someone can enter accounts and delete or edit content including signatures. That implies the TOS is enforceable by someone. It seems that someone does not have to inform the member or apparently others involved in moderating or owning the site. It is either true or false. ddk tells me he had nothing to do with it, his signature just disappeared one day.

I think someone deleted it. If that is true, I think it is fair to be honest about it and for the members to understand that this happened, that it is possible, and that it can happen again. It seems the account itself can not be deleted because WBF needs it to access the content which has value. This very issue prompted others to leave the site. I am curious if it is true in the spirit of transparency and better understanding what can happen.

Part of the role of moderation is having the ability to delete content that violates the TOS. If that was not possible then there would be no moderation since the TOS could not be enforced.

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
Nice to meet you Jeff .

Elliot, why do you accept Jeff’s background and system at face value?

You refuse to accept my stated background and systems as real. You mocked my credentials and said that I’m a fake, a college dropout living in my mother’s basement.

I like to think that my reference one-of-a-kind digital playback systems that I have at home are better sounding than the Wadax. Accept the challenge and we can both find out if that is true during your visit.

We are still waiting on your response. You were very accusatory and spouting off about intellectual honesty. Where are you now big man? Why are you so quiet?

Last edited:
Reactions: XV-1 and Kingsrule

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Part of the role of moderation is having the ability to delete content that violates the TOS. If that was not possible then there would be no moderation since the TOS could not be enforced.

I understand that. I am talking about something else. As far as I know, ddk's signature was not violating the TOS and you already stated that the moderators did nothing here. If it was in violation, then it could be removed by the moderators. But since you state that did not happen, we are left to wonder what did. The content was removed without notice and seemingly not in violation of any rules AND not by the moderators. Take a step back. If what I describe did indeed happen, and it seems that it did, is that not concerning? And you as a moderator were not even informed.

Steve posted that I am spreading misinformation. If I am, someone should tell me how and provide evidence, and then sanction me. If I am not, then, there should be some clarity on TOS #1 since we should understand what we are agreeing to when joining as members.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amir and tima

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I understand that. I am talking about something else. ddk's signature was not violating the TOS and you already stated that the moderators did nothing here. The content was removed without notice and seemingly not in violation of any rules AND not by the moderators. Take a step back. If that in fact happened, and it seems that it did, is that not concerning? And you as a moderator were not even informed.

Steve posted that I am spreading misinformation. If I am, someone should tell me how and provide evidence, and then sanction me. If I am not, then, there should be some clarity on TOS #1 since we should understand what we are agreeing to when joining as members.

The moderators work for the owners so other stuff that happens is not a concern for us. This isn’t a paid gig.

Honestly, I am more bothered by how people treat each other here. I don’t understand the need to levy personal attacks. To me, that is the worst violation. (Commenting as a member, not moderator.)

My comments are getting off track so I will end it here.

Reactions: adyc and Gunnar

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing