Identification of members

wil

Jul 22, 2015
Carlos, Let me know if you live near the Boston area. I will be glad to make a trip over to meet you and check out your gear. It would be fun and I will certainly learn something. I could take a video and photos to verify and report back in these pages. But, I don't think this validation is necessary. We read the content of your posts and form our own opinions. This is all pretty silly if you ask me.
It seems to me Carlos is about as transparent as anyone here. He has a ten page thread showing videos of a mind boggling amount of (mostly unusual) audio gear in multiple rooms.

Holli82

Jun 6, 2010
I just called my local Porsche dealer, insulted him publicly, and challenged him to deliver a 911 GT3 RS to my house for an extended loan free of charge. Im waiting patiently for his reply.

thank you for sharing this amazing negotiation technique to get free stuff Carlos. You are such an asset to WBF.
WAIT!!!! See if he can swing 2. Mine is getting a little long in tooth. I'll settle for a GT3 :cool:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
The moderators work for the owners so other stuff that happens is not a concern for us. This isn’t a paid gig.

Honestly, I am more bothered by how people treat each other here. I don’t understand the need to levy personal attacks. To me, that is the worst violation. (Commenting as a member, not moderator.)

My comments are getting off track so I will end it here.

So just to get things clear .
If a member decides to leave the forum and this member asks for his system thread to be deleted .
The forum administration will not do that ?

Brg HJ

Reactions: PeterA

MagnusG

VIP/Donor
Oct 5, 2022
Saltsjöbaden, Sweden
If a member decides to leave the forum and this member asks for his system thread to be deleted .

Brg HJ
I hope the forum wouldn’t do that. Especially if other members have contributed to the thread, which would be the normal case I guess. What is provided in a forum should stay. A personal blog is the alternative if one wants to decide what shall be deleted or not.

Reactions: wil

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I hope the forum wouldn’t do that

This forum has changed off course over the years , it became much more commercial
There use to be more knowledgeable people posting from which you could learn something .
If a person has contributed before but wishes to be no longer part of it , the forum should respect that persons wish imo
I m also not here to discuss which colour of fuse sounds better etc , i like to learn new things from knowledgeable people with great systems.

Ps But im sure the forum administration can answer my question

Last edited:

MagnusG

VIP/Donor
Oct 5, 2022
Saltsjöbaden, Sweden
I m also not here to discuss which colour of fuse/ cable sounds better, i ve got better things do
Well, neither am I.

All forums change over time. I think that should be common knowledge. If you don’t like the turn a forum takes you’re free to leave it. But as long as you contribute it’s assumable that you accept it as it is. And other members should be able to trust that the forum remains untouched even if someone decides to leave. Just my personal opinion but I believe also it’s normal standards for any forum.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Well, neither am I.

All forums change over time. I think that should be common knowledge. If you don’t like the turn a forum takes you’re free to leave it. But as long as you contribute it’s assumable that you accept it as it is. And other members should be able to trust that the forum remains untouched even if someone decides to leave. Just my personal opinion but I believe also it’s normal standards for any forum.

Im not talking about threads in general where he/ she has contributed , im only talking about a members personal system thread .

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Im not talking about threads in general where he/ she has contributed , im only talking about a members personal system thread .

Andro, it is clear that WBF keeps your content including your personal system thread. This is why they disable the delete button after a couple days. Yes, people have left once they’ve learned this policy. The content is the value.

MagnusG

VIP/Donor
Oct 5, 2022
Saltsjöbaden, Sweden
I’m talking about all threads, inluding threads about personal systems. Which normally contains contributions from other members. Why should they have their posts deleted? I’m sure there are exceptions, but I haven’t been to a forum where members can delete threads. I think it would be very bad if it was possible.

A separate question is the commercial side. Nothing wrong with trying to make money out of a forum. Seems to be a full time effort here at least. And I cannot see what it has to do with the members not being able to delete threads. If it really would affect the revenues it must be extremely marginal.

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
Andro, it is clear that WBF keeps your content including your personal system thread. This is why they disable the delete button after a couple days. Yes, people have left once they’ve learned this policy. The content is the value.

That is why some of us stopped updating our system thread.

Much is made by the site owners and moderators about the TOS for this site and then you see the directed personal attacks towards me by Steve Williams (site co-owner), Elliot, and Jeff1225 on this and other threads and the moderators failure to step in and respond to the personal attacks, you can clearly see that these TOS are not applied fairly or without prejudice across the board.

As they say, with time, people’s true colors will show. There is fertile soil for an alternative.

Last edited:

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

Brg HJ

That is not the moderators call. We are not administrators.

However, according to the TOS, anything posted here becomes the property of the owners.

18. All material posted becomes the property of the What's Best Forum. All postings and material contained in this site are copyrighted and may NOT be republished or reposted without express written consent of forum administrators.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

Yes, I have noticed that.

Much is made by the site owners and moderators about the TOS for this site and then you see the directed personal attacks towards me by Steve Williams (site co-owner), Elliot, and Jeff1225 on this and other threads and the moderators failure to step in and respond to the personal attacks, you can clearly see that these TOS are not applied fairly or without prejudice across the board.

I agree

As they say, with time, people’s true colors will show. There is fertile soil for an alternative.

Yes, but it would take a lot of effort.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

Just so it is clear, that provision has always been in the TOS and when people signed up they confirmed that they read the TOS. If they didn't, that's on them. While it may not have been your intention, your post makes it seem like that provision was sprung on them after the fact. It was not.

Rensselaer

VIP/Donor
Mar 23, 2021

It seems to me we have drifted far from what the original posters thread asked, which I think was limiting access to only those persons who use their real names and show their real systems. Illuminating further in his thread that he thinks there are persons not published and not in the Industry who are peddling BS.

In regards to the OP's point I already left one short reply; "argument ab auctoriate", which is to say that I would not personally agree that there exists greater truth in the opinion of anyone by reason of their personal equipment, their business or whether they succeeded in getting their thoughts published at some time. I figure everyone who has joined this forum has some knowledge about some aspects or areas of this hobby, and grant that some have more than others, but the majority of the material I have read on this forum is based upon belief, not science.

When I find a thread that looks interesting to me, I read each entry carefully and if the entry is mostly opinion based upon faulty logic (eg. appeal to numbers, ie. most audiophiles would agree that ..., and we all know that 10,000 Lemmings couldn't possibly be wrong) I just move on (grant you that when I first started on this forum I would take it on, big mistake).

Real useful information can be found in the postings of anyone, no matter whether heavily into the Industry or just a newbe trying to understand what everyone is talking about. Experience is not restricted to those of so-called authority, and though it may mean nothing to you it might be exactly what someone else is looking to learn about.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Just so it is clear, that provision has always been in the TOS and when people signed up they confirmed that they read the TOS. If they didn't, that's on them. While it may not have been your intention, your post makes it seem like that provision was sprung on them after the fact. It was not.

I never said it was. That is your interpretation. People are surprised to learn it though. Everyone should read the TOS. This should be about clarity and transparency

Last edited:

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I never said it was. That is your interpretation. People are surprised to learn it though. This should be about clarity and transparency

The provision is not only there but bolded. The fact that people are surprised to learn it is on them. No one else can be responsible for people not reading what they said they read. How could they make it more clear and transparent?

Reactions: adyc

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
The provision is not only there but bolded. The fact that people are surprised to learn it is on them. No one else can be responsible for people not reading what they said they read. How could they make it more clear and transparent?

As i said before, the TOS (terms of service) is hidden, which is why I had never read it.

You either have to go to the subform "Forum Announcements" and then it is at the bottom of "sticky threads" (who looks there?).

Or, as others thankfully have guided me to, you look at the very bottom of the WBF page ("Terms and rules", in small print).

That's both hidden, in my book. I couldn't find it on my own even after a 5 minute search, and I like to think that I am not necessarily the dumbest person on the planet.

The TOS should be clearly visible in the top menu.

Reactions: PeterA

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

I agree. Al M said he had trouble finding the TOS. I am not complaining about the TOS. People should be aware of what they say, particularly the content clause.

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Or, as others thankfully have guided me to, you look at the very bottom of the WBF page ("Terms and rules", in small print).
As i said before, the TOS (terms of service) is hidden, which is why I had never read it.

You either have to go to the subform "Forum Announcements" and then it is at the bottom of "sticky threads" (who looks there?).

That's both hidden, in my book. I couldn't find it on my own even after a 5 minute search, and I like to think that I am not necessarily the dumbest person on the planet.

The TOS should be clearly visible in the top menu.

Established and widely implemented design element of web site construction.

Quite literally world wide web placement of site maps and other site features or regulations.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I think you are advised to read TOS when you register.
TOS is not unique to WBF.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing