If I Had Ten Thousand Dollars (Sing it!!)

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca
OK lets say the sky's the limit on the rest of your system, but you could only spend 10-15k on a new pair of speakers. What would those speakers be?:rolleyes:

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I'd start by paying someone $500 to dig up all the system lists in threads identical to this one, then go from there.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I love questions like this! Surveying Audiogon, there are some really good choices out there in this price range including:
Wilson Sophia 2
Revel Ultima Salon 2
Focal Scala Utopia III v2
And a real sleeper- Sony SS AR-1. Not a classical "audiophile" speaker, but a damn good one nonetheless.

These are all rather 'traditional". i excluded horns and planars but there's plenty of those out there for sure.

Reactions: NorthStar

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I'd start by paying someone $500 to dig up all the system lists in threads identical to this one, then go from there.

:D

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I nominate Magnepan 20.7s for $15,000.

Drive them with Aesthetix Atlas Eclipse mono hybrid amplifiers (or high power solid-state or push-pull tube amps if you want to spend a lot more money), add your source and preamplifier, and top off with a pair of REL 212/SE subwoofers. You are done!

A friend of mine has exactly this system, and I love it!

The total cost of this system would be less than many dynamic driver loudspeakers.

Eventually you can choose to replace the 212s with a “six-pack” of REL G1 Mk. IIs.

Last edited:

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada

Identical thread? No I don't think so..

My question is pretty specific, I think.

For example I have a friend who has a 100k system fronted by a 10k pair of speakers that sounds truly epic. Yet I've heard these exact speakers several times with lesser electronics at shows and in homes and they always sounded mediocre at best. They have a pretty nasty reputation on most forums as well.

It's one thing to find a relatively forgiving speaker at a 10k price point (many would put entry level Sonus Fabers in this camp for example) that can sound almost universally good if not great in a wide variety of systems; its quite another kettle of fish to find reasonably priced speakers that can really show off electronics that cost many multiples of the speaker's asking price.

I am interested only in the latter.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I nominate Magnepan 20.7s for $15,000.

Drive them with Aesthetix Atlas Eclipse mono hybrid amplifiers (or high power solid-state or push-pull tube amps if you want to spend a lot more money), add your source and preamplifier, and top off with a pair of REL 212/SE subwoofers. You are done!

A friend of mine has exactly this system, and I love it!

The total cost of this system would be less than many dynamic driver loudspeakers.

Eventually you can choose to replace the 212s with a “six-pack” of REL G1 Mk. IIs.
I'm in with this one, in fact my goal.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
Funny, my six-pack of Rel G1s will be in my system forever.. regardless of any future electronics and main speakers.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
It’s good you already have it!

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I love questions like this! Surveying Audiogon, there are some really good choices out there in this price range including:
Wilson Sophia 2
Revel Ultima Salon 2
Focal Scala Utopia III v2
And a real sleeper- Sony SS AR-1. Not a classical "audiophile" speaker, but a damn good one nonetheless.

These are all rather 'traditional". i excluded horns and planars but there's plenty of those out there for sure.

Agreed. And I think the Sony is better than the other three

Reactions: PeterA

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Identical thread? No I don't think so..

My question is pretty specific, I think.

For example I have a friend who has a 100k system fronted by a 10k pair of speakers that sounds truly epic. Yet I've heard these exact speakers several times with lesser electronics at shows and in homes and they always sounded mediocre at best. They have a pretty nasty reputation on most forums as well.

It's one thing to find a relatively forgiving speaker at a 10k price point (many would put entry level Sonus Fabers in this camp for example) that can sound almost universally good if not great in a wide variety of systems; its quite another kettle of fish to find reasonably priced speakers that can really show off electronics that cost many multiples of the speaker's asking price.

I am interested only in the latter.

I'd buy mine, Reference 3A Reflector monitors ($ 12K), which are augmented in my system by dual JL Audio F112v2 subs.

These speakers are very unforgiving since highly resolving, but sound amazing with my Octave amplification of about $ 30K total, in a room with sound treatment about equal the price of the speakers. They are in many ways as good as much larger speakers several times the price, in some ways not so much. But the overall package is stunning for the price, at least to my taste.

And they fit better into my room (24 feet long and 8.5 feet high, but mostly only 12 feet wide) than larger speakers would. They also can do some intimate stuff in an unparalleled manner.

Reactions: Folsom

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I remember being blown away by these speakers years ago both in sound and cabinet construction. They are hand made and designed in a way that they actually don't need any glue or screws to stay together.
I could not believe the sound I heard and in my opinion smoke many others in that price range, which doubles the price point of this thread at $27k.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I remember being blown away by these speakers years ago both in sound and cabinet construction. They are hand made and designed in a way that they actually don't need any glue or screws to stay together.
I could not believe the sound I heard and in my opinion smoke many others in that price range, which doubles the price point of this thread at $27k.

Sony makes some of the best hardware on the planet imo, and their ES electronics are also massively underrated.

Reactions: GSOphile

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Okay here we go again , i think there are indeed multiple of these threads .
First magico V3 wilson WP 7 avalon ascendant

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Agreed. And I think the Sony is better than the other three
Possibly but it was not optimal in my room. Just a bit dead and airless.........................and, although I mean "just a bit," it was disqualifying. I've heard it sound better elsewhere.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing