If you could..what would you......??

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
If you could replace your current speakers with another make/model...and budget was no issue; what would your #1 choice be?

However, let’s make this a little more interesting...to add to the question, let’s assume that your current room and your current electronics have to be taken into consideration. So, if you have a small room, then automatically nominating a speaker like the Wilson Wamms would not work. If you have a liking for a very inefficient speaker and you already own and like a flea powered amp, then nominating Apogee Scintilla’s would not work, etc.,

Ok, let’s hear em...:cool:

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
So, if you have a small room, then automatically nominating a speaker like the Wilson Wamms would not work.

Not exactly true there are ways to get a big speaker to work properly in a tight space, there are other properties of the room that come into play that can destroy the sound even if the space is large enough.

david

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I never get where the concept of large speaker means large room. Generally larger speakers have larger drivers, which makes them more adept to a smallef space since they have higher directinality. Basically the opposite is true of what people want to think.

So long as the physical space allows, it isnt a bad idea. In the case of dipoles and open baffles min space is required.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Jeez, you guys are right...why didn’t I think of this all along; I should have bought Gary’s Genesis Dragons and made them work in my 10x9 room....you think:rolleyes::D:p

K, shall we get back to my OP...

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Jeez, you guys are right...why didn’t I think of this all along; I should have bought Gary’s Genesis Dragons and made them work in my 10x9 room....you think:rolleyes::D:p

If you have the ceiling height!

david

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY

You might have room for a chair! :D

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
I would feel physically uncomfortable sitting in front of a large speaker system as mentioned in a small 10 x 9 space, so much so that they simply would spoil some of the enjoyment of the music no matter how well they can perform in the right size space. A speaker should (IMO!!) fit visually and sonically.

Anyway, to Re-rail Davey's thread, in my room, two models spring to mind: Martin Logan Neolith and B&W Nautilus. I have a good idea of what the Neolith would do and am very open to the experience, but the Nautilus is a thought based decision as I have not heard them before, so I base this choice on my understanding of speaker design and construction..

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

I have tried the big Soundlab A1's in a 9´x 15' room and they sounded great.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I would feel physically uncomfortable sitting in front of a large speaker system as mentioned in a small 10 x 9 space, so much so that they simply would spoil some of the enjoyment of the music no matter how well they can perform in the right size space. A speaker should (IMO!!) fit visually and sonically. (...)

I share your view - particularly because such system would usually have a minimal sweet spot , small variations in position causing abrupt and uncomfortable changes in sound. Each of us has its own way of listening to a system, and we often forget about it when commenting equipment.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I can't argue with the visual... It's hard to imagine the soundstage when you're very imposed on by the visual.

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
I would replace my Aviors with the Lyra and just learn to live with the bigger speakers:cool:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I would feel physically uncomfortable sitting in front of a large speaker system as mentioned in a small 10 x 9 space, so much so that they simply would spoil some of the enjoyment of the music no matter how well they can perform in the right size space. A speaker should (IMO!!) fit visually and sonically.

Anyway, to Re-rail Davey's thread, in my room, two models spring to mind: Martin Logan Neolith and B&W Nautilus. I have a good idea of what the Neolith would do and am very open to the experience, but the Nautilus is a thought based decision as I have not heard them before, so I base this choice on my understanding of speaker design and construction..

+1.

Thank you Paul.

Maybe I should start a new thread...that one would be titled----what huge speaker system have you crammed into your room and kludged up the rest of the system to make it sound acceptable?

Meanwhile, I would like to get back to my OP.

BTW, I have heard the original B&W Nautilus, it is a heck of a great speaker! In some ways, it is very reminiscent of the current top-of-the-line Vivids, as it should be- since the designer is one and the same. Up until a few years back, I would say it was the best speaker I had heard. Would have been my choice in a mid size plus room if price be no object.

Last edited:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I would replace my Aviors with the Lyra and just learn to live with the bigger speakers:cool:

One of the things that impressed me about the Lyra's, is that they are not that large a speaker...and yet can apparently compete with some of the much larger systems out there. Nonetheless, if they were NOT a good match for your room...and the Avior's were better, would this in fact be a wise move???

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Taking the room out of the equasion regardless which is not wise , its hard to switch to smaller speakers again , one gets easily spoiled.:D effortless is addictive

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
One of the things that impressed me about the Lyra's, is that they are not that large a speaker...and yet can apparently compete with some of the much larger systems out there. Nonetheless, if they were NOT a good match for your room...and the Avior's were better, would this in fact be a wise move???

Good question...I believe the Lyra was designed to sound big with a more accommodating footprint but I never worried about speaker and room size. I have kept the Avior because it works in my room and probably won't change speakers until I change rooms. I imagine the Lyra would work but not the Arrakis unless I want them to go through the ceiling.:D

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
I would like to try the large Focals, but I think they will not be efficient enough to replace my Vapor Nimbus. I use 30W SET amps.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing