If you could..what would you......??

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
I like both of your wishes but I would go with Henk refurbished Apogee FullRanges. Scintillas I already had ;)

After re-reading this thread, I think I would invite @kodomo to my place for an extended period of time and let him go wild with a passive multiway horn System like his :D
If possible with Plasma horn tweeter. Are they able to do 100dB?
The Subwoofer could use the room over the winter garden/TV room (should be a few thousand Liters).

Thanks Cristoph, I am honored! You are not alone, some other friend has been pushing me to build him a speaker as well and I will do that rather than doing one of my own projects this winter. I have already started. It is different than mine, still horns of course, from 80hz to 20khz. I will share it when it is done :) This is my hobby and my actual business is taking a lot of my time. Thank god my winters are a little more free... I had some side projects I wanted to do for this time alignment issue. A system with actuators that moves horns backwards or forwards to match impulse rises. Complete with its mini pc, dedicated software, measurement mic. Built into the frame of the horns itself.

The plasma horn tweeter can do 110db @ 1m max. It is 94db efficient and volume and crossover is adjustable on the unit to match with the rest of the system. I like them too, but I would love to see a more efficient one in the future to keep 100+ db efficiency of a good horn system.

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Thanks Cristoph, I am honored! You are not alone, some other friend has been pushing me to build him a speaker as well and I will do that rather than doing one of my own projects this winter. I have already started. It is different than mine, still horns of course, from 80hz to 20khz. I will share it when it is done :) This is my hobby and my actual business is taking a lot of my time. Thank god my winters are a little more free... I had some side projects I wanted to do for this time alignment issue. A system with actuators that moves horns backwards or forwards to match impulse rises. Complete with its mini pc, dedicated software, measurement mic. Built into the frame of the horns itself.

The plasma horn tweeter can do 110db @ 1m max. It is 94db efficient and volume and crossover is adjustable on the unit to match with the rest of the system. I like them too, but I would love to see a more efficient one in the future to keep 100+ db efficiency of a good horn system.

Dear Kodomo
I'm sorry, I didn't want to force you into anything.
I wanted to express, that I would prefer your System over anything commercially available and NOT put you on the spot :oops:
But I would REALLY be VERY interested to learn from the Project for your friend (maybe you can spell some beans about that Project in your System Thread) :cool:

Your side Project with the moving horns has quite some Bond movie character :D

Regarding the plasma tweeter. Are there other (commercially available) offerings than the one from A Capella?
You think there is a chance for a 100 dB efficient Plasma horn tweeter in the near future? I fear rather not... :rolleyes:

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich
Dear Kodomo
I'm sorry, I didn't want to force you into anything.
I wanted to express, that I would prefer your System over anything commercially available and NOT put you on the spot :oops:
But I would REALLY be VERY interested to learn from the Project for your friend (maybe you can spell some beans about that Project in your System Thread) :cool:

Your side Project with the moving horns has quite some Bond movie character :D

Regarding the plasma tweeter. Are there other (commercially available) offerings than the one from A Capella?
You think there is a chance for a 100 dB efficient Plasma horn tweeter in the near future? I fear rather not... :rolleyes:
Lansche makes one that has a maximum eff. of 96 dB / 1 W / 1 m

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Heard the Lansche 65k model and the 20k model in the same room as devore orangutans. Initially the Lansche impress. Great stage, nice mids and musicality. But then same thing repeats every recording. Not an issue if you don't want to hear different performances. The devore just flow and let you enjoy the performance more naturally. I preferred them. Currently my back up if I cannot budget for or fit in an universum.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich
Heard the Lansche 65k model and the 20k model in the same room as devore orangutans. Initially the Lansche impress. Great stage, nice mids and musicality. But then same thing repeats every recording. Not an issue if you don't want to hear different performances. The devore just flow and let you enjoy the performance more naturally. I preferred them. Currently my back up if I cannot budget for or fit in an universum.

But the tech inside the tweeter and thus resulting attributes cannot be paralleled.
If you do not like the sound of it, I'm totaly fine with that.

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Technically, Lansche plasma tweeters look like the best commercially available plasmas but afaik they do not sell them as individual units. The Lansche corona plasma tweeters have two octaves lower cutoff then acapella ion tw1.

However, I did not have the chance to audition them so I do not have an idea about the sound they produce. I hope this year in Munich, I will have the chance. I also want to talk to the designer about the possibility for one with higher cutoff and higher efficiency. I do not need the plasma go that low so maybe he can keep the efficiency higher.

I have also wondered how they would be paired with a we15a or we66 as the corona can do 1.5khz crossover. It can replace the jbl type waveguide with tad 2001 that hornsolutions.de uses in their topology.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
What amps where driving the Lansches?
I only really liked the Lansche Cubus, and only when driven by tube amps, but that was VERY good :cool:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
What amps where driving the Lansches?
I only really liked the Lansche Cubus, and only when driven by tube amps, but that was VERY good :cool:

I think you guys are missing my point. It is not that they did not sound good. They did. Quite good. They did not change on recordings, the style of presentation stayed the same. If this is not an issue they are very good sounding. The plasma technology is supposed to be much ahead of the Acapella.

I heard them with various valves. NAF 2a3 8w on which the dynamic range was flat, the Rike (german brand) 20w with 550 tubes, and the jadis integrated 100w. Sounded best with latter two.

Devores sounded the best with NAF, and were overall my preferred.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
The plasma technology is supposed to be much ahead of the Acapella
What makes you say that?
The Lansche guy?
If you ask the A Capella guy, what do you think he would say? :rolleyes:

16hz lover

Aug 2, 2013
I would be very happy with a new set of Magnepan 3.7i
I didn't think that it would happen this quick, but after selling my Micro Seiki TT and Sumiko Blackbird cartridge, I found the 3.7's locally on CL, right after a big price reduction. This is in the previous owners room full of Macintosh gear. I've never heard 3.7's sound so anemic as driven by the MC 275 tube amp he had. Knowing that they were going to sound much different in my room with some actual wattage on them was the only reason I bought them. 00c0c_atypwj5Wr9S_600x450 (1).jpg

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Funny, Davey - I"m going through the "dream speaker" search right now to see if an upgrade to my Devores are in order next year. So far my list includes...

Rockport Avior- Altair 2 auditioned, so done
Wilson Sasha DAW- heard at event, will have full audition
YG Acoustics Hailey 2 -coming in January
Gamut RS7i - hearing its little brother next weekend

and if I get a trip to NYC for Spring Break (my gfriend is a principal), I plan to hear the Stenheim Alumine 5 and Cessaro Wagner. Neither is available for demo on the best coast.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Keith, I think Alex has the new Sasha DAW’s in the store, I would think they would be a strong contender, if you have the room size.

The Gamut’s are excellent, although I suspect they would be a tad too difficult to drive with your Ref 75. BTW, that might be the same issue for the DAW’s, so a listen on your amp would be a very good idea.
( same probably applies for the new YG’s....not known to be that efficient)

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
For me... Wilson Benesch Endeavour

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing