If you still spin CDs, this may be the best option.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
20190525_170836-2.jpg
On 25th, May, I went to Yongsan Electronic Land, Seoul, Korea.

With this combination, it sounds effortless, very detailed with clear focus, deep and wide soundstage.

It is one of the best high end sound that I had ever heard.

The front end was Metronome Kalista Reference 30 year anniversary model.

Ypsilon Aellus monoblocks and PST100 pre amplfiers was used to drive 150K$ Avalon Saga speakers.

http://www.avalonacoustics.com/models_saga.html

The specification of Saga is

Driver Complement:
1" Concave Carbon/Glass Neodymium Tweeter
7" Concave radial magnetic Ceramic Midrange
(2) 13" Nomex Kevlar Generation II Composite Woofers
All drivers utilize proprietary neodymium magnetic technologies.

Sensitivity:
92 dB

Impedance:
4 ohms nominal (3.8 ohms minimum)

Frequency Response:
20Hz to 45kHz

Recommended Amplifier Power:
25 to 500 watts

Wiring Methods:
Dual binding post

Dimensions:
68" high (178 cm)
14.5" wide (37 cm)
17" deep (43 cm)

Weight:
260 pounds each (118 kg each)

20190525_163305-2.jpg

Kalista Dreamplay transport and Dac with two separate power supplies look grand.

https://www.hifiplus.com/articles/kalista-dreamplay-cd-transport-and-dac/

This Kalista Dreamplay transport and Dac is not cheap with price tag of 100K$.

But it seems to match the sound of MSB Select II with transport.

I am getting strong temptation to snatch this beauty.

I have to check my bank balance after going back to my home in US.;)

This is my first encounter with Ypsilon amplifiers and I am also deeply impressed with the quality of its sound and relatively affordable price.

PST100 pre amplifier has both active and passive mode.

Passive give more transparent sound while sacrificing little bit of dynamics.

Yongsan Electronic Land used to house more than 200 high end audio shops about 15 years ago, while it had dwindled to around 100 shops now.

But it is still one of the best place to audition high end audio and vintage audio.

As I go through the top digital systems in Korea, it is getting more difficult to choose one to replace my 10 years old EMMLab Dac2( new price was 9k$).

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Thomas, I heard a Metronome cd transport/dac combo 3-4 years ago at the ML Neolith launch in London. I was a little underwhelmed by the sound, it seemed very "digital", w little analog flow or texture. Hopefully this combo does better.

Reactions: Folsom and thomask

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Thomas, I heard a Metronome cd transport/dac combo 3-4 years ago at the ML Neolith launch in London. I was a little underwhelmed by the sound, it seemed very "digital", w little analog flow or texture. Hopefully this combo does better.

As I say often you were unlucky - I still keep my Metronome Calypso Reference / C2A DAC. Although it has less detail and grip than the Vivaldi, less defined bass and surely is more colored, it has great texture and flow.

My distributor does not have the new Metrome Kalista DAC in stock, otherwise I would surely want to listen to it in my system.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US

Thanks for your input.

I am not so sure whether they had improved since then or some system matching.

I had listened to new 30 years anniversary limited version.

This one sounds as good as MSB Select II.

Last edited:

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
As I say often you were unlucky - I still keep my Metronome Calypso Reference / C2A DAC. Although it has less detail and grip than the Vivaldi, less defined bass and surely is more colored, it has great texture and flow.

My distributor does not have the new Metrome Kalista DAC in stock, otherwise I would surely want to listen to it in my system.

This new version has deep bass and lot of details.

Now they may have hit the Jackpot.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
This new version has deep bass and lot of details.

Now they may have hit the Jackpot.

The new version has two type of selectable DAC chips and SS or tube output - it is like having a turntable with four arms and cartridges. Which option did you listen?

Reactions: thomask

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
The new version has two type of selectable DAC chips and SS or tube output - it is like having a turntable with four arms and cartridges. Which option did you listen?
I had tried four different combinations.

I usually prefer tube out for more analog sound but while SS out has more transparent sound.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I had tried four different combinations.

I usually prefer tube out for more analog sound but while SS out has more transparent sound.

What tube is it using? With Lampi we found some tubes being less transparent while some are extremely transparent. 242 and 101d for example are extremely transparent. The lower down non DHT models with tubes like ECC82 types are not as transparent.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
What tube is it using? With Lampi we found some tubes being less transparent while some are extremely transparent. 242 and 101d for example are extremely transparent. The lower down non DHT models with tubes like ECC82 types are not as transparent.
Unfortunately, I have no information on it.

Tube is inside it so that tube rolling is not easy.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

The default tube for Metronome Technolgie JAN-Philips 6922 green label tube. I have also tried the Telefunken ECC88 on the C8+, but it was only for a very short time.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
The appointment to audition Trinity Dac and Formula HXD Dac with SGM Extreme Server got postponed to May 28th.

The owner of the shop who let me audition Metronome has high opinion about Trinity Dac.

Thus I am also curious how Trinity Dac sounds.

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Thanks for sharing your experiences :cool:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

Maybe he is more sensitive to “synthetics” than you are...just an alternative explanation rather than him being so unlucky...

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

Depends on the tube quality and of course the circuit in which it is used. IDHT tubes will have a different harmonic flavor (or lack thereof) but can be just as transparent.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
The default tube for Metronome Technolgie JAN-Philips 6922 green label tube. I have also tried the Telefunken ECC88 on the C8+, but it was only for a very short time.

An ok tube...not the best but not bad.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Maybe he is more sensitive to “synthetics” than you are...just an alternative explanation rather than him being so unlucky...

What do you mean by "synthetics"?

Spiritofmusic was very precise in this description - it was just the opposite that it is usually associated with the Metronome Kalista's. It is why I posted my remark.

Reactions: Al M. and thomask

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
View attachment 53166
On 25th, May, I went to Yongsan Electronic Land, Seoul, Korea.

With this combination, it sounds effortless, very detailed with clear focus, deep and wide soundstage.

It is one of the best high end sound that I had ever heard.

The front end was Metronome Kalista Reference 30 year anniversary model.

Ypsilon Aellus monoblocks and PST100 pre amplfiers was used to drive 150K$ Avalon Saga speakers.

http://www.avalonacoustics.com/models_saga.html

The specification of Saga is

Driver Complement:
1" Concave Carbon/Glass Neodymium Tweeter
7" Concave radial magnetic Ceramic Midrange
(2) 13" Nomex Kevlar Generation II Composite Woofers
All drivers utilize proprietary neodymium magnetic technologies.

Sensitivity:
92 dB

Impedance:
4 ohms nominal (3.8 ohms minimum)

Frequency Response:
20Hz to 45kHz

Recommended Amplifier Power:
25 to 500 watts

Wiring Methods:
Dual binding post

Dimensions:
68" high (178 cm)
14.5" wide (37 cm)
17" deep (43 cm)

Weight:
260 pounds each (118 kg each)

View attachment 53165

Kalista Dreamplay transport and Dac with two separate power supplies look grand.

https://www.hifiplus.com/articles/kalista-dreamplay-cd-transport-and-dac/

This Kalista Dreamplay transport and Dac is not cheap with price tag of 100K$.

But it seems to match the sound of MSB Select II with transport.

I am getting strong temptation to snatch this beauty.

I have to check my bank balance after going back to my home in US.;)

This is my first encounter with Ypsilon amplifiers and I am also deeply impressed with the quality of its sound and relatively affordable price.

PST100 pre amplifier has both active and passive mode.

Passive give more transparent sound while sacrificing little bit of dynamics.

Yongsan Electronic Land used to house more than 200 high end audio shops about 15 years ago, while it had dwindled to around 100 shops now.

But it is still one of the best place to audition high end audio and vintage audio.

As I go through the top digital systems in Korea, it is getting more difficult to choose one to replace my 10 years old EMMLab Dac2( new price was 9k$).
Hello Thomask,
Thanks for sharing!

I listened to the Dreamplay transport+dac in Hong Kong before. They are super musical and involving!

However I think the title can be a bit more accurate if it were : " If you still spin only CD, ... ".
There are several top universal tranaports in the market which may be as good.
Thanks again!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing