If you were building a new Windows computer primarily for music, what mb etc would you choose?

Echolane

Apr 24, 2018
California
If you were to build a computer today which ATX form factor mother board, chipset & etc. would you choose to build a desktop computer that would primarily be used for music?

I recently upgraded my Windows 7 computer to Windows 10. I REALLY did’t like Windows 10 so after about three unhappy months, I re-installed Windows 7 on a spare hard drive and now it’s I have a dual boot system.

Then I had a little fire in my power supply! It just fried a couple of wires on the power supply and damaged an optical drive, but I no longer trust the hardware and I want to build a new computer. And I want to do it *now* before there aren’t any motherboards to buy that will support Windows 7. Any computer geeks around that can make some suggestions to get me started?

I used to be a heavy computer user, but now I do most things on my iPad and don’t spend a lot of time at my desktop except for music. My Audiomat Arpege tube amp and Spendor S3/5 Monitor Speakers sit idle there because the internal ASUS Xonar Essence II Sound Card is constantly going down on me. Some sort of incompatibility I think with my motherboard? I don’t know what the problem is, but I am not moving it forward to the new build, but will be buying an external DAC instead.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I have been where you are. I built up a system, then finally bought a real server. My built up units sounded good but the PS is really where its at. Not the mainboard. You want Server 2016 along with good software such as AO and HQ player via Roon. You need a good case and non fan heat sinks. I would really call Ben at Mojo Audio and see if he has an old server for you to try. Get it and play with it. Try and update if for better performance. It's a starting point to see what a decent unit is like. That or get a Roon nuc. Versions with a linear PS sound much better. Of go on Audiogon and find a old server and use it. If you know Linux you can probably mod it.

Echolane

Apr 24, 2018
California
Thanks for the tips, but meanwhile I’ve decided to get a Roon Nucleus. In fact I am waiting for delivery of my cable order which is expected tomorrow so I can hook up my waiting computer audio system and also send Roon streaming throughout the other audio systems in my house.

Router > Ethernet > Roon Nucleus
Computer > USB > Berkeley Alpha USB > Audio Alchemy DAC + PS-5 LPS > Audio Alchemy DMP-1 Music Server (Roon Endpoint) > Audiomat Arpege int. tube amp > Spendor S3/5 Speakers

Nevertheless, my curiosity is aroused as I’ve never heard of Server 2016. Is Server a stand-alone OS or an extension of Windows 10?

Last edited:

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
You will like the Roon Nuc. What model. Does it have a upgraded linear PS. You will hear that. Especially if you store files on it and usb to the dac and out to the amp. You may not need the endpoint any more. Depends on how good your ethernet is. It will probably become a personal choice,

Echolane

Apr 24, 2018
California
I think I’ll like it too! There are just two models, the entry level and the +, and I don’t have the +.

Glad you asked about the power supply as it does NOT have an upgraded power supply, at least not yet, and I think it needs one. I read that upgraded Power supplies are not needed if the Nucleus is located away from the music system. While it is remote from my main audio system in the living room, it is certainly not remote from the computer audio system. That definitely concerns me.

This is also a topic that interests me greatly. I’m a bit of a fanatic about the quality of the power supply in anything I buy because I think they make a difference in audio quality. But when it’s not included, I have no idea whose product I should choose. I hear good things about Uptone Audio product.

As to the endpoint - I thought I would need it because I don’t plan to have the computer on all the time. But aside from that, the DMP-1 comes *very* highly recommended for audio quality, so I will use it.

Last edited:

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I would build using a Xeon processor and a mobo which supported ECC memory.

Reactions: ferenc_k

Echolane

Apr 24, 2018
California

Why would you choose a Xeon processor?

I looked up ECC memory because I hadn’t heard of it. interesting! It Does seem appropriate if I were to build a computer primarily for audio, though I no longer am. But suppose I choose to do ripping on my computer. Wouldn’t the ripping software provide the error checking capability? So then you wouldn’t really need ECC memory?!

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

Why would you choose a Xeon processor?

I looked up ECC memory because I hadn’t heard of it. interesting! It Does seem appropriate if I were to build a computer primarily for audio, though I no longer am. But suppose I choose to do ripping on my computer. Wouldn’t the ripping software provide the error checking capability? So then you wouldn’t really need ECC memory?!

The ripping program does its own error correction but that doesn't affect other operations.

The top music PCs are built based on xeon processors. They have done the research and decided it works best. I don't have all the technical information at my fingertips.

Reactions: Echolane

ferenc_k

Apr 9, 2011
I am extremely happy with this config:

Audio PC:
Asus P10S-WS workstation alaplap, Intel, C236, LGA1151, ATX, : P10S-WS1
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/P10S-WS/

Intel Xeon E3-1235LV5 - 2 GHz, 25W TDP
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...-processor-e3-1235l-v5-8m-cache-2-00-ghz.html

Nofan CR-80EH CPU cooler, passive
http://www.nofancomputer.com/eng/products/CR-80EH.php

Apacer 75.B93H7.G000B 4 GB UDIMM 2400 MHz ECC 4 pcs

Power supply is an external 20V, 10A linear PSU, locally made and a HDPlex 450 W DC - to -ATX converter

I am using it with Audiolinux, as a Roon Bridge, Hqplayer NAA and Airplay 2

Control PC with Roon Core is a MacBook Pro, running from an external 20V, 10A linear PSU using an Elgato Thunderbolt 3 dock as a DC to Thunderbolt 3 converter. It has a 48 TB Thunderbolt 3 storage from LaCie.

Need no storage, Audiolinux is booting directly to the RAM from an USB stick, which is removed after booting.
I have few different TCXO and OCXO clocked USB card, like PP, Pink Faun and jPlay Femto, preferring Pink Faun. USB cards are powered externally from a dedicated 5V, 3A linear PSU.

After using Mac OS X for music since 2002, I am converted and using a dedicated AL/PC combo. Works like charm with a Holo Audio Spring 2 KTE DAC even with DSD512 and 1024. Another iMac Pro is connected to it using a Singer SU-1 USB/I2S converter.

Reactions: matthias

Echolane

Apr 24, 2018
California
I am extremely happy with this config:

Audio PC:
Asus P10S-WS workstation alaplap, Intel, C236, LGA1151, ATX, : P10S-WS1
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/P10S-WS/

Intel Xeon E3-1235LV5 - 2 GHz, 25W TDP
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...-processor-e3-1235l-v5-8m-cache-2-00-ghz.html

Nofan CR-80EH CPU cooler, passive
http://www.nofancomputer.com/eng/products/CR-80EH.php

Apacer 75.B93H7.G000B 4 GB UDIMM 2400 MHz ECC 4 pcs

Power supply is an external 20V, 10A linear PSU, locally made and a HDPlex 450 W DC - to -ATX converter

I am using it with Audiolinux, as a Roon Bridge, Hqplayer NAA and Airplay 2

Control PC with Roon Core is a MacBook Pro, running from an external 20V, 10A linear PSU using an Elgato Thunderbolt 3 dock as a DC to Thunderbolt 3 converter. It has a 48 TB Thunderbolt 3 storage from LaCie.

Need no storage, Audiolinux is booting directly to the RAM from an USB stick, which is removed after booting.
I have few different TCXO and OCXO clocked USB card, like PP, Pink Faun and jPlay Femto, preferring Pink Faun. USB cards are powered externally from a dedicated 5V, 3A linear PSU.

After using Mac OS X for music since 2002, I am converted and using a dedicated AL/PC combo. Works like charm with a Holo Audio Spring 2 KTE DAC even with DSD512 and 1024. Another iMac Pro is connected to it using a Singer SU-1 USB/I2S converter.

Congrats on what looks to be a superior audio focused computer. It does look way complicated and makes me glad I’ve chosen to go with a Roon Nucleus!

ferenc_k

Apr 9, 2011
Congrats on what looks to be a superior audio focused computer. It does look way complicated and makes me glad I’ve chosen to go with a Roon Nucleus!

Actually it was not complex, taken very few hours to build and seems perfectly suitable for Audiolinux. I tried at least a dozen different ways of building, using different PCs, parts, USB cards, power supplies, etc, including Roon Nucleus. The overall cost of roughly 1500-1600 USD and works, sounds much better in my system than anything else. I tried two higher-end custom made PCs as well, way above 6k and did not feel convinced to pay the difference. After the initial setup you just do not need to touch Audiolinux at all, it is continuously switched on, with 25W TDP Xeon CPU and no storage, no fan, no GPU inside it does not consume too much power and generate practically no heat. Everything happens on my Roon Core/Hqplayer Control PC, which is the mentioned MacBook Pro.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
These audio PCs are really easy to build. They have few parts (mobo, CPU, memory, power supply) and just require loading some software.

My Roon server is in a fanless case (Streacom) and the power supply is external. Once you build one of these the next ones are pretty simple.

rando

Sep 22, 2019
I want to do it *now* before there aren’t any motherboards to buy that will support Windows 7. Any computer geeks around that can make some suggestions to get me started?

Since you may care to pursue this further. Intel issued a revision to the H310 chipset called H310c that can run W7 on Coffee Lake and Coffee Lake Refresh processors, ie current offerings. That is a very low end mb chipset, but worth mentioning here.

What may be of more interest is wufuc. The last version is available through unofficial archived channels if you should need it at some point before January 14, 2020.

Finally, be careful not to use the latest W7 ISO (Build 7601.24214.180801). It is full of telemetry and other goodies that will cause no end of issues. Again the internet has many verifiable archived repositories of previous builds. A few of them passing as Windows 7 lite are quite an improvement on functionality and speed. Meaning a stripped down version with numerous tweaks implemented that would be time consuming or otherwise impossible.

Hope this helped even if it was too late to help. Best of luck with your new Roon Nucleus and the forthcoming Windows 11.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Return the roon Nuc and buy a SonicTransporter...more flexibility, great OS, more for the money and sounds better......

Echolane

Apr 24, 2018
California
Thanks for good wishes on redoing my computer. I might need them! What I finally decided to do is look for my current motherboard, an Intel DZ87KLT-75K, which is the last of Intel’s motherboards. My processor is a Core i7 which is close to a Xeon In performance. I was hoping I could just slip it in and be up and running without even doing a reload of the two OSs. I couldn’t find a new one, so I bought a used one, albeit it with fingers crossed. The seller said it was stripped from a business‘s computer and had not been overclocked. Well, hopefully.....it arrived earlier this week, so I hope my computer will soon be up and running without issues.

Echolane

Apr 24, 2018
California
Return the roon Nuc and buy a SonicTransporter...more flexibility, great OS, more for the money and sounds better......

i thought the same and wanted a Sonic Transporter, but could never really resolve the question of which was better. Meanwhile a Nucleus came available through a friend. It had been used once at an audio show and was priced very attractively, so I bought it . I’m sure I could sell it.

Why does the Sonic Transporter sound better? I am planning to add a power supply to the Nucleus and would do the same with a Sonic Transporter.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Yes a PS is a great upgrade. I tried the Keces and SBooster MkII....I liked both.

With the ST u can add other apps. I thought the i7 was faster, and more resolving than the Nuc. And their OS was solid.

Echolane

Apr 24, 2018
California
What about those who say you don’t need an upgraded power supply for a Nucleus (or Sonic Transporter) if it’s some distance from your audio system. Which doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. It seems to me if it cleans up noise then it sends on clean audio, whether near or far.

i particularly need to use SongKong and it can be added to the ST, which is a point in its favor.

Please enlighten me: why do you need the computing power of an i7 ST over the i5 ST?

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany

Ferenc,
can you please provide a link to the external 20V LPS for MacBook Pro?
How much is it?
Thanks

Matt

ferenc_k

Apr 9, 2011
Ferenc,
can you please provide a link to the external 20V LPS for MacBook Pro?
How much is it?
Thanks

Matt

It was made locally by a company called Hydrasound. Please realize that it is a power supply for Elgato Thunderbolt 3 dock and it powers Macbook Pro through the dock. Not directly. It has benefits because this way all the dock connected accessories can be powered from the dock too. The price was roughly 400 Euro.

Reactions: matthias

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing