AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
GND Defender

Optimal system configuration = one Ground/Earth for the whole system as multiple Grounds/Earths mean your amplifier will suffer from an annoying low frequency hum.

The current available solutions can:
* Endanger equipment safety
* Jeopardise EMI shielding
* Be used in a single country (US) only

The GNDDefender is the iFi solution

* Intelligently breaks DC ground loops to eliminate ground loop hum
* Safely retains EMI shielding
* Does not effect equipment safety
Can be used around the globe

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
How does the GND Blocker size up?

* AI Ground Detection - each unit will automatically disconnect the ground on that device
* Ground Safe - auto reinstatement of ground connection to pass current if a fault is detected
* Voltage rating 90 – 240 volts
* Surge overload rating 220A
* Continuous current rating 10A (1100W – 2400W)
* Universal IEC
* Hospital-grade IEC connectors
* Dimensions: 68 x 37 x 32 mm / 2.7” x 1.5” x 1.3”
* Weight: 61g / 2.2oz

1616495171141.png

Vienna

VIP/Donor

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
@ddk might find this interesting, or anyone else that's a vinyl nut.
What does the Defender have to do anything with vinyl:)? The Defender gnd seems to deal with certain types of ground loops which can be an issue in any type of system including all digital ones. It has nothing to do with hum from cartridges and/or phono cables and won’t fix those issues.

david

Reactions: Vienna

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
What does the Defender have to do anything with vinyl:)? The Defender gnd seems to deal with certain types of ground loops which can be an issue in any type of system including all digital ones. It has nothing to do with hum from cartridges and/or phono cables and won’t fix those issues.

david

You told me yourself that you've had to use 3 to 2 prong adapter on gear before. This does exactly that, it's a ground break that doesn't sacrifice safety from what the description says.

The loops are much more normal for vinyl setups.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
You told me yourself that you've had to use 3 to 2 prong adapter on gear before. This does exactly that, it's a ground break that doesn't sacrifice safety from what the description says.

The loops are much more normal for vinyl setups.
I haven’t found that to be true, what’s the correlation between the front ends and electrical ground loops, analog or digital?

Yes, on occasion I lift the ground on one or more components to deal with hum but that doesn’t pose any safety issues all you need is one grounded component. I can still chassis ground everything if needed too. The Defender might do what it says on the website but I prefer figuring it out manually, there are always sonic considerations both positive and negative depending on the equipment.

david

Last edited:

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
All equipment that has 3 prongs forms a loop through the AC system between source and amp. It may be very weak or strong, apparently audible or not. The frequencies affected may vary. The nature of parasitics make it always true, even if a circuit is well isolated with a lot of rejection.

One grounded component isn't that safe if you're relaying on IC's to transfer. IC's can heat up and burn up. A strap could work between the components. Having a lifted ground is certainly at your own risk.

I was certain you'd have to test it, if you were to keep it in a tool bag.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
All equipment that has 3 prongs forms a loop through the AC system between source and amp. It may be very weak or strong, apparently audible or not. The frequencies affected may vary. The nature of parasitics make it always true, even if a circuit is well isolated with a lot of rejection.

One grounded component isn't that safe if you're relaying on IC's to transfer. IC's can heat up and burn up. A strap could work between the components. Having a lifted ground is certainly at your own risk.

I was certain you'd have to test it, if you were to keep it in a tool bag.
Another tool for the toolbox is always good and the Defender looks like an interesting one! Morley makes something similar called the Hum Exterminator that I used before in HT systems and once for the schools PA But never in a high end two channel system.

david

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Another tool for the toolbox is always good and the Defender looks like an interesting one! Morley makes something similar called the Hum Exterminator that I used before in HT systems and once for the schools PA But never in a high end two channel system.

david

I use one of those on my TV's amp actually. TV's don't have the best designs when using an analog out...

They aren't a full true break, but reduce by a huge magnitude. I know the exact parts they use. I think they're totally worth it even thought the parts are extremely cheap, because making your own is a real PITA. However the GND Defender if it's what it says, should be a full break which to me is good it's worth considering just putting on everything if it doesn't cause any issues. (obviously from stereo to stereo that benefit would vary)

Reactions: ddk

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
You are both right. It would greatly benefit digital and analogue. Why don't you try it out and see for yourself? Drop me a private message if you are interested.

Here is a short video for you:

GND Defender

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Just a reminder that with a GND Defender at the IEC power input, it will intelligently detect and remove the ground loop at the component.

Behind this, the GND Defender:
- Intelligently breaks DC ground loops to eliminate ground loop hum
- EMI shielding is retained
- Equipment Safety is unaffected (not a ground lift – so maintains equipment safety ground)

It can be used in many applictions, not just your amplifier.

1617791454599.png

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Is it fair to say that in a system where the subwoofer appears to be creating a ground loop hum (ie, unplugging it or disconnecting the IC to the preamp completely kills the hum)...AND this sub has only a 2-prong IEC, that this GND Defender would not be helpful...because the ground on the sub is already effectively 'N/A' without the 3rd prong on the IEC?

Is it also better to connect chassis screw of this unit to grounding screw of the amp?

Jovance Todorov

Jun 24, 2022
Hello,
I'm Jovance, musician from North Macedonia.

Please help me! What is the best solution for powered speakers (JBL PRX715XLF and JBL PRX 712) - DC blocker or GND deffender or maybe SESCOM IL-19 hum eliminator attached directly to passive mixer BEHRINGER X32 outputs?
What is the best solution for my kerboard YAMAHA TYROS 5? - DC blocker or GND deffender atached to the keyboard or maybe passive stereo DI BOX betwen mixer and keyboard?

Last edited:
Reactions: AMR / iFi audio

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Hello,
I'm Jovance, musician from North Macedonia.

Please help me! What is the best solution for powered speakers (JBL PRX715XLF and JBL PRX 712) - DC blocker or GND deffender or maybe SESCOM IL-19 hum eliminator attached directly to passive mixer BEHRINGER X32 outputs?
What is the best solution for my kerboard YAMAHA TYROS 5? - DC blocker or GND deffender atached to the keyboard or maybe passive stereo DI BOX betwen mixer and keyboard?
Hello Jovance!
Thank you for reaching out to us. The best solution depends on your issue. Is there something wrong with your setup? Or you are looking for a solution to improve the sound of your setup?
DC blocker, GND defender and AC iPurifier all have different purposes.

Reactions: Jovance Todorov

Jovance Todorov

Jun 24, 2022
Hello Jovance!
Thank you for reaching out to us. The best solution depends on your issue. Is there something wrong with your setup? Or you are looking for a solution to improve the sound of your setup?
DC blocker, GND defender and AC iPurifier all have different purposes.
Thank you for your help. I have a litle hum on speakers, and I want to eliminate it.

I think that hum is from ground loops.

Now I'm using RADIAL PRO D2 PASSIVE STEREO DI BOX betwen Tyros5 and mixer, and this combination eliminate high frequency hum, but there is stil some hum on speakers. Because of that I want to try with DC BLOCKER OR GND DEFENDER to improve sound quality.
What you think: is it better to connect GND DEFFENDER on TYROS5 to eliminate ground loop problem or to stay just with Radial stereo Di box?

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Thank you for your help. I have a litle hum on speakers, and I want to eliminate it.

I think that hum is from ground loops.

Now I'm using RADIAL PRO D2 PASSIVE STEREO DI BOX betwen Tyros5 and mixer, and this combination eliminate high frequency hum, but there is stil some hum on speakers. Because of that I want to try with DC BLOCKER OR GND DEFENDER to improve sound quality.
What you think: is it better to connect GND DEFFENDER on TYROS5 to eliminate ground loop problem or to stay just with Radial stereo Di box?
Please, try your speakers with no input connected. Is the hum at the same volume as it is when connected to your source?

Depending on the issue, you can try all of the products I have mentioned. We will try to narrow it down for you.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing