Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Ok so I can use one of the pigtails. Disregard the above. I will probably have to buy a type c to type a converter.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I am connedted. This should not be a problem for newer phones.. Most come with type c. I have no idea about those weird iphones.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
No I think it is the smaller one. I think Type C is supplied.
I feel a little foolosh. I. have a cable that will fit my phone. However the opppsite end will not fot the the hip-'dac. It appears both ends will require tje same size. Does that make any sense

OK, so hip-dac has two USB connectors on its rear. The small one - USB type C - is meant to be used only to charge the product's battery. The bigger one - USB type A - is the one you need to send signal to from your smartphone.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
“I’m getting goosebumps just thinking about how well that combination of the hip-dac and the (Audeze) LCD-1 was rocking my world.”

Thank you for this fantastic review Steve Guttenberg!

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
iFi audio hip-dac: Tech Note #4

The S-Balanced Solution
(As found in xCAN, xDSD and nano iDSD BL)

No second amplifier is used, neither are extra signal, noise, nor distortion added - perfect for sensitive IEMs. Further including the iEMatch technology extends compatibility with ultra-sensitive IEMs. A dedicated negative wire per channel all the way to each channel ’s amplifier ’s star-ground makes sure there is no crosstalk between the channels.

Plugging in unbalanced headphones with a TRS connector instead of TRRS will cause zero issues and, in fact, will still cut crosstalk by 50%, compared to using a TRS socket.

S-Balanced output works on TRS & TRRS headphones

It is fully compatible with and supports balanced wired headphones on TRRS 3.5mm and the Chinese 3.5PRO balanced wiring standard maintaining the channel separation. That is, after all, the point of S-Balanced.

It can also use 3.5mm TRS connections without problems.

‘S-Balanced ’ is short for ‘Single-Ended Compatible Balanced’ https://www.head-fi.org/threads/some-common-headphones-plug-wiring-for- balanced-audio.875730/

We are compatible with Hifiman/LHLabs/3.5PRO/OPPO PM3 in the above on 3.5mm S-Balanced.

Balanced wiring delivers the full benefits with lower noise and distortion (and lower output) than other balanced circuitry and is transparently compatible with TRS unbalanced headphones and headphones with microphones making sure neither Amp nor Headphone can be damaged.

Which is why ‘S-Balanced ’ is so awesome and could only be invented by a Nicola Tesla level genius.
  • Compatible with A&K/FiiO on 2.5mm Balanced
  • Compatible with any 2.5mm Balanced equipped product compatible with A&K/FiiO
The key to the S-Balanced advantage is to understand the following:
  • A balanced output includes two separate amplifiers
  • All else being equal, two amplifiers contribute both noise and distortion
  • Due the laws underpinning this, the output noise of the two balanced amplifiers MUST be at least 3dB greater (1.4 times) than that of the single amplifier
  • The odd order (unpleasant or disharmonic) distortion of the two amplifiers for the same level on each amplifier summed will also be at least 3dB greater than the single amplifier.
With S-Balanced and XBass, we have pretty much game-changing tech. All the benefits of balanced, with none of the drawbacks.

XBass

XBass is there for open-back headphones or just those tracks that ‘miss that bit of bass’. By now, customers are familiar with the Analogue Signal Processing circuit that was developed in-house for our own use.

Premium audiophile parts

TDK high stability C0G surface mounted capacitors - C0G dielectric close to Teflon in key areas that affect the smoothest sonics.

As you can see, the hip-dac really is one of those products that looks spectacular on the outside, and sounds absolutely wonderful because of what it is inside.

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
Didn't win the Hip DAC at CanJamNYC (BooHoo!!) so I had to order one. Enjoying it immensely along with my RHA CL2 headphones and the balanced connection. To anyone out there with an iPhone, the Apple camera adapter is the only one I have found that fits. All the off-brand ones are too large to fit into the HipDAC connector.

Reactions: Gregadd

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Shortpocket 20200228_111056.jpg 20200228_111033.jpg

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Didn't win the Hip DAC at CanJamNYC (BooHoo!!) so I had to order one. Enjoying it immensely along with my RHA CL2 headphones and the balanced connection. To anyone out there with an iPhone, the Apple camera adapter is the only one I have found that fits. All the off-brand ones are too large to fit into the HipDAC connector.

True. hip-dac was designed to accommodate Apple's CCK nicely.

Shortpocket

It is, isn't it? ;)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
:)I obviously meant shirtpocket. Although I suspect it would fit in a shortpocket too.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
A nice review on TechHive describes the sound as "sublime."

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Can you send me a pigtail?
I lost mime. Will pay of course.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
It's a hat-trick! We've only gone and got another What Hi-Fi? 5-Star review!

"The hip-dac is a hugely capable performer with the typical easy-going iFi sound. It’s a balanced presentation that’s refined and free of harsh edges. You can listen to the hip-dac for hours and not feel fatigued."

Thanks What Hi-Fi?!

The full review please see HERE!

Sammyez

Nov 12, 2020
UK
It's a hat-trick! We've only gone and got another What Hi-Fi? 5-Star review!

"The hip-dac is a hugely capable performer with the typical easy-going iFi sound. It’s a balanced presentation that’s refined and free of harsh edges. You can listen to the hip-dac for hours and not feel fatigued."

Thanks What Hi-Fi?!

The full review please see HERE!
Having read the great reviews, I decided to get an Hip DAC for travel (and Zen DAC for home use) these sound excellent with my Hifiman Sundara headphones. I’ve also ordered some custom made Balanced cables (from OIDIO) as I understand this will improve the sound further.

The question I have is regarding the firmware upgrades? I listen to a lot of MQA music (via my Windows lap top using Tidal
and Audivana) but I am confused about the XMOS firmware update and 5.3c GTO filter?

I read the details on the ifi website but, not being technically minded, I’m a little lost? Perhaps, someone can explain (in simple terms) what difference this firmware would add and clarify the issue about it potentially becoming bricked and connections via USB?

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
@Sammyez big congrats on your choices. I use both of these products hip-dac and Zen Dac myself and in my opinion it is hard to beat them within their price range.

I must say that personally, I am also a big Hifiman enthusiast. Susvara would definitely be among my favourite pairs of headphones.

When it comes to 5.3c GTO filter. It is a filter that offers both better compatibility and technical performance than non-oversampling, while delivering a transient optimised performance that differs as little from non-oversampling as possible.

Can you expand on the second question? The unit becoming potentially bricked via a USB update should not be an issue.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing