iFi audio hip-dac2: The Official Thread

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Our much loved, original hip-dac has had a makeover! That's how the hip-dac 2 looks like.
The new model’s obvious distinguishing feature is the Sunset Orange anodised finish applied to its aluminium enclosure, replacing the original’s Petrol Blue. Under the hood, a collection of carefully considered and painstakingly implemented circuit changes elevate the the hip-dac 2's performance to an even higher level.

The 8-core XMOS chip, which processes the data received over USB, has been replaced by a new-generation 16-core XMOS processor, delivering double the clock speed and four times the memory. This chip was initially introduced to iFi’s latest DACs at higher price points, such as the NEO and Diablo models, and is now trickling down to iFi’s entry-level devices, including the hip-dac 2.

This new chip’s enhanced processing power improves overall performance, as well enabling the
the hip-dac 2 to deliver full MQA decoding. This means that the complete ‘three unfold’ decoding process is performed internally, as opposed to just the final unfold in the manner of an MQA ‘renderer’ – which accounts for the vast majority of MQA-supporting DAC/headphone amps anywhere near the the hip-dac 2’s price point, including the original hip-dac. This makes the the hip-dac 2 an excellent device for anyone who subscribes to Tidal’s Masters tier, which uses the MQA codec for hi-res streaming.

There are other circuit improvements too, including a new version of iFi’s GMT (Global Master Timing) circuitry, featuring a new crystal clock. This results in even lower jitter performance, contributing to purer, crisper sound.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Our much loved, original hip-dac has had a makeover! That's how the hip-dac 2 looks like.
The new model’s obvious distinguishing feature is the Sunset Orange anodised finish applied to its aluminium enclosure, replacing the original’s Petrol Blue. Under the hood, a collection of carefully considered and painstakingly implemented circuit changes elevate the the hip-dac 2's performance to an even higher level.

The 8-core XMOS chip, which processes the data received over USB, has been replaced by a new-generation 16-core XMOS processor, delivering double the clock speed and four times the memory. This chip was initially introduced to iFi’s latest DACs at higher price points, such as the NEO and Diablo models, and is now trickling down to iFi’s entry-level devices, including the hip-dac 2.

This new chip’s enhanced processing power improves overall performance, as well enabling the
the hip-dac 2 to deliver full MQA decoding. This means that the complete ‘three unfold’ decoding process is performed internally, as opposed to just the final unfold in the manner of an MQA ‘renderer’ – which accounts for the vast majority of MQA-supporting DAC/headphone amps anywhere near the the hip-dac 2’s price point, including the original hip-dac. This makes the the hip-dac 2 an excellent device for anyone who subscribes to Tidal’s Masters tier, which uses the MQA codec for hi-res streaming.

There are other circuit improvements too, including a new version of iFi’s GMT (Global Master Timing) circuitry, featuring a new crystal clock. This results in even lower jitter performance, contributing to purer, crisper sound.
Looks great and I bet it sounds it as well.

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I forgot. Since I don't care for earbuds. This can be quite the minimalist system for runners. The only problem it may distract you from the task at hand.

Last edited:

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
It is pretty convenient for audiophile jogging. It will fit in most of the jogging fanny packs. Since some joggers may prefer a wireless solution, hip-dac 2 as a jogging DAC may not be for everyone, but if the sound quality and at a maximal comfort is what you are after, then the hip-dac2 is your guy.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Fanny packs are for geeks and geezers. Smile. An arm band would be better. Phone pockets are standard in most running apparel.
You can slip the hip-dac in there.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I have seen this listed for $189 m.s.r.p. in US dollars.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
The little jacket is $29.95.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I guess fanny pack is something special. You need to be a fanny pack person to go jogging using one. Phone pockets/arm bands are probably the most convenient way.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Stocking Stuffer
$538 Bundle Headphones.com
Hip dac 2
Hi fi Man Sandara
1 year return.
Ho! Ho! Ho! Merry Christmas!

Reactions: AMR / iFi audio

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Wircutter th9nls the hipdac2orange is the best I'm class.
I have plans to get my hands 9n one. I am busy right now.

Reactions: AMR / iFi audio

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Hio dac is fine.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
That's relative.
I listen to some classical, pop, jazz,rock,r&b and the occasision c&w.
When I really want to boogoe I call on the Diablo.
The bass boost is great for pop. As long as I stay in its range it handles jazz very well. Jazz is my primary genre.
It's a great companion for the SONY WH1000MK4.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Jazz seems to be a genre particularly appreciated in the audiophile community. I can see you've got a very broad spectrum of preferences. Just curious, how do you mean stay in the bass boost range?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Jazz seems to be a genre particularly appreciated in the audiophile community. I can see you've got a very broad spectrum of preferences. Just curious, how do you mean stay in the bass boost range?
It's trying to do a lot. Much pop music has exagerrsted bass. If you push it too hard it can run out of gas.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing