Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
So today the diablo arrived. Given that there is such a complete description above and on you tube I can focus primarily on sound quality.
When ordering over the internet the product is not the quality the pictures suggest. That is not the case here. I can imagine someone trying to get $899 for axle cables alone.
Errata- most products are not the quality...

aux cable

Reactions: AMR / iFi audio

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Just a preview. The diablo makes the Senheiser HD 800S a portable headphome. Now if I could only get a 1 meter cable.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
20210614_132312.jpg hip dac v diablo

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
If you are not willing to get a cable for HD 800S directly from Senheiser, you can get a replacement or even make it yourself.

Look at this guy.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Senheiser provided two cords. I could shorten one to a meter.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
20210616_081331.jpg It fits in your pants pocket. It is about the same size as my Samsung Galaxy 9 plus

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
My Senheiser HD800S 20210616_130714.jpg

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Eight the plan is to stuff the excess cable in the pocket of my pants. I have modified cables before. That is not a pretty sight.

Last edited:

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
It seems like a solution, but aren't you afraid about safety then? F.e, what if you suddenly need to start running? Are the pockets solid enough to prevent cable from falling out?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Fight or flight? Me running? Lol.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
20210617_130130.jpg
This cable is included at no extra cost.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
For excersine use the virtually weightless hip dac Sony wh 1000 mk4 combo.. The ambient mode allows you to hear traffic.

Reactions: Andrew S.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Yes. I am getting close to writing the actual review.
This mini backpack will hold all you need. Smartphone, battery back, Diablo,headphones,etc. 20210620_115758.jpg

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Review of the Diablo dac/amp
By gregadd
Given the opportunity audition the Doiblo I kept at the chance. I was in pursuit of an amp powerful enough to drive my Senheiser HD 800s. I did not think the Diablo would be an option. That is to say I thought it would lack both the power and quality to drive the HD800S.
I am happy to report the HD800S is supplied with cords with a 4.4mm and a quarter inch jack. The quarter inch jack works and sounds better. The 4.4 requires some jiggling.( There must be some problems with stadardization.)
The unit has a switch for level and was factory set at eco(nomy). Max setting is turbo.
I used the Samsung Galaxy S9+. The sound was good with adequate power. It turns out I was in eco mode. Headphones have different sensitivity levels. I was not prepared for the dramatic increase in quality when I switched to turbo.
It eventually dawned on me that the Diablo had converted the HD800S to a mobile device. Even though the headphones(herein after hp) are open back they allow ambience with minimal noise. When I had the opportunity I headed for park. I thought it sounded better than at home.
I thoroughly enjoyed my favorite recordings and was tapping my foot along with the music. I stayed for about two hours.
Switching from eco to turbo mode is revelation.
NOISE
When no signal is applied noise is virtually non- existent. That is quite an accomplshment with hp's.
POWER
I can not imagine any hp that requires more than the Diablo is able to deliver. Even though electrostats remain stationary there should be sufficient power.
Battery life is excellent and the unit did allow play while charging. If you need extended use just carry a battery pack. The unit sounds best @26-100% charged

IMAGING
This is always an issue with hp's. I began with the video VIRTUAL BARBER SHOP. This is a binaural demo. Imaging was exactly as described..
In actuality more realistic. Voices and instruments were diffuse but easily located. If need be the perception of distance was available. Binaural recordings were eerie. I sometimes yanked my head around to see if something was present.
PRAT
Given it's powered the Diablo had no trouble keeping up with the music. If the pace picked up theDiablo had no problem.
DYNAMICS
On classical and rock thereplaying loud. Dynamic contrasts were excellent. Low level were handled with ease.
That concludes Part I. Part II will address specific recordings.

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Part II Review of Diablo dac/amp

Virtual Barbar Shop
This is a binaural recording designed to demonstrate the imaging of such recordings. Essentially a guy enters a barber shop and calls his friend to perform a haircut. I think the most dramatic element is when he whispers in your ear. You can literally feel a puff of air heing blown in your ear.
It still puzzles me that binaural recording has not taken over.
BASS
HP's struggle most with bass. There is no problem here. The Diablo has big bold sound. It does not scream bass. An organ sounds like an organ. The same is true of a cello, a double bass, and drums. Transients are excellent with no boom.
Phill Collins
Yo Yo MA
Chico Freeman Autum in New York
Quincy Jones walking in Space
Bass has a crisp attack and decay.
Vocals
Cassandra Wilson Wtchita Lineman
Combined with her guitar her voice has a rich sultry tone.
Autumn leaves performed by Eva Cassidy at Blues Alley is a.amazng.
John Legends voice has a.naturall tone when he sings at npr tiny desk.
My biggest surprise is Queens' rendition of Bohemian Rhapsidy. I previously thought it was just a top forty hit.
By far Stan Getz recording of The Girl From Ipanema will tell you you need to need to know about the Diablo..
Finally I could wax on. I have learned more about digital than I cared to know. 96khz-24bit is fine for me.
IMO the Diablo is to die for. Get yours today.

Andrew S.

Mar 20, 2021
Hobart, Tasmania
@Gregadd

Thank you for that review.

The Diablo sounds exactly what I have a use for.

I haven't heard HD800s. I know the 600/650 well. I imagine it would work wonderfully with each.

Do you find the 800s markedly better to the 6xx wrt bass extension, clarity, sound stage, imaging and air? There is of course a substantial difference in cost.

Many thanks for any assistance you may be able to provide me with.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing