Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Reactions: hairyderriere

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Hi IFI Audio, question what do you recommend between supanova and nova as replacement power supply from Elite to power conditioner (Shunyata).
Nova and SupaNova are both a solid choice.

The Nova incorporates five conductors, each made from heavy-gauge, continuous-cast OFHC (Oxygen-Free High Thermal Conductivity) copper, arranged in a geometrically balanced configuration – highly unusual at such a price point.

The cable is finished with a tough yet flexible polymer outer sheath and iFi’s bespoke audiophile-grade connectors, complete with 24ct gold plated oxygen-free copper conductors.

Two pairs of live and neutral conductors are arranged either side of the earth conductor, which is positioned at the centre of the cable. The ground conductor is arranged in a shotgun configuration and not twisted around like other mains cables. The live and neutral conductors are arranged in a truly balanced configuration, hence their magnetic fields cancel each other out perfectly.

As a result, there is no residual magnetic field being applied to the centre ground conductor, and no unwanted induced voltage on the Ground conductor – we call this design Ground Zero.

SupaNova has all that, plus the Active Noise Cancellation II technology.

ANC II actively eliminates far more noise across the frequency range than a passive product, even across the lower frequencies. We use inverse noise current to cancel out the noise in the mains signal. The way this works is comparable to the technology in noise-cancelling headphones.

The SupaNova also includes:

• Our Wireless Purification System to significantly reduce power-line noise without audible or visible side-effects
  • A Ground/Earth connection diagnostic
  • Polarity detection to ensure correct polarity at all times
  • Over-voltage Surge Protection, an auto-detection and cut-off circuit to protect your equipment
Summing up, they are both solid choices. Nova - passive, SupaNova - active. You are definitely going to be satisfied with Nova. It will meet your expectations. If you want to go for more then SupaNova is smiling at you.

dnnaudio

Aug 3, 2021
Nova and SupaNova are both a solid choice.

The Nova incorporates five conductors, each made from heavy-gauge, continuous-cast OFHC (Oxygen-Free High Thermal Conductivity) copper, arranged in a geometrically balanced configuration – highly unusual at such a price point.

The cable is finished with a tough yet flexible polymer outer sheath and iFi’s bespoke audiophile-grade connectors, complete with 24ct gold plated oxygen-free copper conductors.

Two pairs of live and neutral conductors are arranged either side of the earth conductor, which is positioned at the centre of the cable. The ground conductor is arranged in a shotgun configuration and not twisted around like other mains cables. The live and neutral conductors are arranged in a truly balanced configuration, hence their magnetic fields cancel each other out perfectly.

As a result, there is no residual magnetic field being applied to the centre ground conductor, and no unwanted induced voltage on the Ground conductor – we call this design Ground Zero.

SupaNova has all that, plus the Active Noise Cancellation II technology.

ANC II actively eliminates far more noise across the frequency range than a passive product, even across the lower frequencies. We use inverse noise current to cancel out the noise in the mains signal. The way this works is comparable to the technology in noise-cancelling headphones.

The SupaNova also includes:

• Our Wireless Purification System to significantly reduce power-line noise without audible or visible side-effects
  • A Ground/Earth connection diagnostic
  • Polarity detection to ensure correct polarity at all times
  • Over-voltage Surge Protection, an auto-detection and cut-off circuit to protect your equipment
Summing up, they are both solid choices. Nova - passive, SupaNova - active. You are definitely going to be satisfied with Nova. It will meet your expectations. If you want to go for more then SupaNova is smiling at you.
Would’nt the Supanova be a duplication of ANC w/c the Elite also have? Too much filtering might result in lifeless sonics. I cannot audition before purchase so need advise. Has someone at IFI actually tried these power cables w/ the Elitw? Thanks.

Reactions: Calin Alecu

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
@dnnaudio Of course we tried these products together. The iPower Elite has ANC on the output for DC. The SupaNova has ANC for high frequency noise on the mains. The ANCs of both products add up.

balsa05

Aug 19, 2021
Hi AMR !
I am working on HF cancellation in my system .
Do you have detailed info or measurements in which frequency range and dB range the ANC of the Supanova works ?
Here in germanys Open-end-music forum is a thread about HF cancellation . I think it would be very interesting to introduce
the Supanova there with details .
Many thanks !
Dieter

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Hi AMR !
I am working on HF cancellation in my system .
Do you have detailed info or measurements in which frequency range and dB range the ANC of the Supanova works ?
Here in germanys Open-end-music forum is a thread about HF cancellation . I think it would be very interesting to introduce
the Supanova there with details .
Many thanks !
Dieter
Hi @balsa05 ,
My bad. Must have missed your message.
Skype_Picture_2021_11_30T09_52_14_958Z.jpeg Skype_Picture_2021_11_30T09_52_22_403Z.jpeg
Skype_Picture_2021_11_30T09_52_27_070Z.jpeg

Skype_Picture_2021_11_30T09_52_30_371Z.jpeg

Skype_Picture_2021_11_30T09_52_33_819Z.jpeg
Skype_Picture_2021_11_30T09_52_37_003Z.jpeg
Skype_Picture_2021_11_30T09_52_40_421Z.jpeg

The first graphs show the frequency range of 2 kinds of RF noise: typical transmitted RF and power supplies. The second set of graphs show how passive filtering reduces the noise. The third shows how the ANC unit works to reduce noise further than passive filtering only.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Does the ANC on the Supanova constrain the power in any way, especially during demanding passages?
The ANC circuit must be able to react very quickly, or it will lag behind the noise…? Meaning you don’t get true noise cancellation.

Last edited:

ginandbacon

Mar 14, 2022
I have some question regarding the differences on the Nova vs the Supanova. I currently own the iFi PowerStation with an extra AC Purifier. I imagine these products are well tested together but would there really be much of a difference if I already own 2 AC Purifiers between the 2? It sounds like that is the one of the main selling points of the Supanova and may be overkill for my needs.

Also, would I get better results using the Nova/Supanova cable from the wall outlet to the PowerStation or from the PowerStation to the iFi Power Elite, which has not been delivered yet, or would there not be much difference? I am currently using the iFi products below and using power cables (not from the manufacturers, but with with shielding and noise rejection already) to the PowerStation. This just sounds like a bettor solution since everything has been tested and is newer then say, a Pangea or AudioQuest cable from 2012/2015.

I would prefer going with 2 Nova's, one from the wall to the PowerStation then another from the PowerStation to the iFi Power Elite but if I don't gain anything in one, or both of the scnerioes, I oviously don't want to spend the money. I know there are many factors so there isn't a "one soltion" answer and depends on the power feeding the devices and how much noise it has.

iFi PowerStation, iFi AC iPurifier (in addition to the one in the PowerStation), 2 iFi DC iPurifier2's (one for HDFury and one for Dune media player), iFi Power Elite (not yet delivered), will be here tomorrow.

Samsung 55" Neo, Optoma P1 UST PJ, Rotel 500w amp (not in use now, but will be soon), Pioneer receiver, HDFury VRRoom matrix, Sony HT-A7000, Sony wireless sub (higher end model), Dune Pro Vision 4k Solo, Nvidia Shield, Apple TV4K Gen2

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Does the ANC on the Supanova constrain the power in any way, especially during demanding passages?
The ANC circuit must be able to react very quickly, or it will lag behind the noise…? Meaning you don’t get true noise cancellation.
ANC simply eliminates circuit noise and does not constrain power in any way.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I have some question regarding the differences on the Nova vs the Supanova. I currently own the iFi PowerStation with an extra AC Purifier. I imagine these products are well tested together but would there really be much of a difference if I already own 2 AC Purifiers between the 2? It sounds like that is the one of the main selling points of the Supanova and may be overkill for my needs.

Also, would I get better results using the Nova/Supanova cable from the wall outlet to the PowerStation or from the PowerStation to the iFi Power Elite, which has not been delivered yet, or would there not be much difference? I am currently using the iFi products below and using power cables (not from the manufacturers, but with with shielding and noise rejection already) to the PowerStation. This just sounds like a bettor solution since everything has been tested and is newer then say, a Pangea or AudioQuest cable from 2012/2015.

I would prefer going with 2 Nova's, one from the wall to the PowerStation then another from the PowerStation to the iFi Power Elite but if I don't gain anything in one, or both of the scnerioes, I oviously don't want to spend the money. I know there are many factors so there isn't a "one soltion" answer and depends on the power feeding the devices and how much noise it has.

iFi PowerStation, iFi AC iPurifier (in addition to the one in the PowerStation), 2 iFi DC iPurifier2's (one for HDFury and one for Dune media player), iFi Power Elite (not yet delivered), will be here tomorrow.

Samsung 55" Neo, Optoma P1 UST PJ, Rotel 500w amp (not in use now, but will be soon), Pioneer receiver, HDFury VRRoom matrix, Sony HT-A7000, Sony wireless sub (higher end model), Dune Pro Vision 4k Solo, Nvidia Shield, Apple TV4K Gen2
If there are any grounding issues or crosstalk problems, particularly in the amplification section, and you integrate any of the iFi purifiers, you should have a significant improvement. The improvements add up on the way. If you are not certain what is the source of the issue, then, the results of the purification of the signal or the surrounding devices may be less obvious.

When it comes to particular arrangement of Novas and supaNovas in your system it is hard to give you an exact answer, as the SQ is system-dependent.

Reactions: ginandbacon

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
"For its construction and for the technology included, the SupaNova compares favourably to cables at multiple times its price."

Dr. Fernando Meza
Audiophile for 30 years - Professional high-end equipment reviewer.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Last edited:

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
An audiophile cable worth buying!
"This cable is Supa! Finally, a power cable that is active and affordable. I use this on my class A tube amplifiers running in mono and it works perfectly. I've been hoping they would make a cable like this and here it is! The cable has a generous length so plugging it in the mains was of no problem. Also, the cable is very flexible, especially for its thickness. I used other cables out there and they were way too stiff putting pressure on the IEC socket. This cable fit the IEC socket perfect and was not loose with the active part being far away enough (about 2/3rds from centre cable) from the plug socket itself to not interfere. Finally, a power cable I'm happy to spend money on that doesn't cost the bank."

Where do you use yours?

https://www.amazon.com/review/R2NDK9Q28L9I9J

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Feedback from musicians is always welcomed, as they live and breathe music:

"The prices of the Nova and SupaNova cables are affordable!, After my sound tests, I can hear the difference! Cleaner sound and reduced background noise, I like these cables from iFi! I will buy them!"

Mr. Pedro Diaz

Professional musician
Solo English Horn with the Orchestra of the Metropolitan Opera

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
We're always looking forward to your feedback! What was your first impression of Nova and SupaNova cables?

Great power cable for the money
"I bought other power cables in the past at much higher price than this one and this is an excellent cable. Fills solid and it is flexible. Highly recommend over other higher price power cables."

Link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R1Y3EJVNLM7PKV

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
THE CABLE

GROUND ZERO

AMAZON 5 star

GREAT power cable for the money! - https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R38HZZ4GIO2ANJ

"iFi is making a name for themselves with some of their products and this should be one of them. I am using the Nova with a power conditioner and it definitely improved the sound with greater body and resolution, I am even hearing the venue or space of the recording much better. It is wise to use such a cable when you have a decent system to begin with or you may not notice its full potential. Very happy with mine!"

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing