iFi Audio Uno - The Official Thread

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
@AMR / iFi audio

IMO, to go for USB-C is a move into the right direction.
Will iFi audio switch to USB-C for all their new DACs in the future?
Thanks

Matt

Reactions: AMR / iFi audio

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
@AMR / iFi audio

IMO, to go for USB-C is a move into the right direction.
Will iFi audio switch to USB-C for all their new DACs in the future?
Thanks

Matt
Thanks for your kind words. USB-C will be taking over, but I think that in audio, USB type B will stay with us for a long, long time. I mean it as an audio market. In portable, the USB -C is a must now, but in full size...

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
USB-C will be taking over, but I think that in audio, USB type B will stay with us for a long, long time. I mean it as an audio market. In portable, the USB -C is a must now, but in full size...
...as well. :)
I don't see any drawbacks for USB-C in audio quite the contrary, so I would prefer if manufacturers go for this connector for all DACs.
A good example is Schiit Audio, they will replace all remaining USB-B with USB-C in the future.
It is unconvenient if customers must buy for new DACs and accessories new USB cables too and all new laptops have USB-C outputs anyway.

Matt

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
...as well. :)
I don't see any drawbacks for USB-C in audio quite the contrary, so I would prefer if manufacturers go for this connector for all DACs.
A good example is Schiit Audio, they will replace all remaining USB-B with USB-C in the future.
It is unconvenient if customers must buy for new DACs and accessories new USB cables too and all new laptops have USB-C outputs anyway.

Matt
It might be in time, but as you have mentioned, people have tons of accessories, and we can't skip the fact that it became a standard in audio. We will see.

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
It might be in time, but as you have mentioned, people have tons of accessories, and we can't skip the fact that it became a standard in audio. We will see.
Maybe a solution would be to offer for the higher priced DACs and accessories both USB-C and USB-B inputs.

Matt

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Maybe a solution would be to offer for the higher priced DACs and accessories both USB-C and USB-B inputs.

Matt
That won't happen. Our goal is to provide the lowest possible price for the best quality. You have to optimise your production strongly to achieve that. Having one products in two versions would cause the price for end user to go up. Which we don't want to do.

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
Sorry for misunderstanding, not two versions.
The suggestion was to offer in all DACs two USB inputs without switching (only one can be used at a time), price increase would be negligible.

Matt

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Sorry for misunderstanding, not two versions.
The suggestion was to offer in all DACs two USB inputs without switching (only one can be used at a time), price increase would be negligible.

Matt
Sorry if I'm sounding negative, but I really want to explain the potential issues, instead of saying: no. Well, two issues with that:
1. An extra connector takes a lot of space, which can be a problem with our smaller devices. But, it's not as bad as:
2. Signal integrity. You can't split the USB into two connectors. USB is a high-speed signal and requires controlled impedance throughout the length of the traces. If one would add a second socket and split the traces, the signal that would arrive at the XMOS controller would look nothing like USB signal.

Reactions: matthias

rando

Sep 22, 2019

Some years ago I asked a DAC manufacturer if there was a substantial reason for designing around USB 2.0 printer cables as their preferred output. I will not answer over the top of our friend from iFi, but instead state USB 2.0 isn't going away in consumer electronics anytime soon. Certainly not about to be outright replaced by USB-C.

Laptop manufacturers specifically manufacture one port designs requiring a large dongle to add desired ports. How does a device that includes the correct cable further inconvenience you?

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Some years ago I asked a DAC manufacturer if there was a substantial reason for designing around USB 2.0 printer cables as their preferred output. I will not answer over the top of our friend from iFi, but instead state USB 2.0 isn't going away in consumer electronics anytime soon. Certainly not about to be outright replaced by USB-C.

Laptop manufacturers specifically manufacture one port designs requiring a large dongle to add desired ports. How does a device that includes the correct cable further inconvenience you?

This is a great point. With a product this affordable we couldn't provide two different USB cables. We have included the USB type A cable as it still is very popular both among desktops and laptops.

Reactions: rando

LuckyLuke

Apr 17, 2022
Belgium
This looks like a solution to a problem I have but I am not sure if it will do what I want.
I want my tablet (ipad) to connect with the UNO via bluetooth (to stream music ) and then connect my wireless headphones to the UNO so I can listen to the music.
I am aware that I can connect my headphones to the ipad but I am hoping that going through the UNO that I have better quality.
Am I correct in assuming this and will the connection work like this?

Luke

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
This looks like a solution to a problem I have but I am not sure if it will do what I want.
I want my tablet (iPad) to connect with the UNO via Bluetooth (to stream music) and then connect my wireless headphones to the UNO so I can listen to the music.
I am aware that I can connect my headphones to the iPad but I am hoping that going through the UNO that I have better quality.
Am I correct in assuming this and will the connection work like this?

Luke
Try this insteadiFi audio Go Blue - The Official Thread | What's Best Audio and Video Forum. The Best High End Audio Forum on the planet! (whatsbestforum.com)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Last edited:
Reactions: LuckyLuke

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
@LuckyLuke To have a better sound with BT headphones, you should connect them via a cable to an iFi Audio GO Blu (for example). But that kind of defeats the purpose of BT headphones, doesn't it?
It's not as easy to upgrade the sound of the BT headphones, as they are a whole package, including a DAC and AMP tuned specifically for it.

LuckyLuke

Apr 17, 2022
Belgium
@LuckyLuke To have a better sound with BT headphones, you should connect them via a cable to an iFi Audio GO Blu (for example). But that kind of defeats the purpose of BT headphones, doesn't it?
It's not as easy to upgrade the sound of the BT headphones, as they are a whole package, including a DAC and AMP tuned specifically for it.
It is indeed not easy. Maybe I didnt explain myself that good in the previous post.
The reason for my search is that I practice/play the drums and I do this by playing along with music via Tidal/Roon.
So the best way would be via wireless headphones, since that gives me the most maneuverability and with the best possible quality of music in my ears and on top of that with a reasonable budget ( I know, a huge mountain to climb ;)).
But indeed, maybe via a cable is still the best way to channel music to a source, for now.
Anyway, I thank both you and Gregadd for your help and suggestions.
Both of you have shed a lot of light in the darkness :)
Thanks!
Luke

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
You are welcome.
i think the solution to your problem was sitting on my desk all the time. SONY WH 1000XM4 with LDAC.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
It is indeed not easy. Maybe I didnt explain myself that good in the previous post.
The reason for my search is that I practice/play the drums and I do this by playing along with music via Tidal/Roon.
So the best way would be via wireless headphones, since that gives me the most maneuverability and with the best possible quality of music in my ears and on top of that with a reasonable budget ( I know, a huge mountain to climb ;)).
But indeed, maybe via a cable is still the best way to channel music to a source, for now.
Anyway, I thank both you and Gregadd for your help and suggestions.
Both of you have shed a lot of light in the darkness :)
Thanks!
Luke
You are welcome! I agree with @Gregadd that those Sony headphones are great.
If you have any other questions let me know :)

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Check out this amazing in-depth review of the Uno by The Boomer Consumer. In the review, he mentions the Uno's extensive functionality and appreciates its small footprint. Check it out, that's an amazing watch!

Link to The Boomer Consumer's review:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing