iFi audio ZEN CAN Signature Meze 99 - The Official Thread

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Lifelike volume
One of the more frequent shortcomings of stereo systems is the inability to play at realistic levels. Music reproduction starts at very tiny signals. The more you amplify music the you amplify music the more you amplify noise. Noise can come from the source. or it can sneak in anywhere along the chain. When you eliminate this noise it automatically allows the music to be more dynamic. You get louder music and not louder noise. Relatively speaking.
As a I frequently state the better your tuna net the more dolphins you catch. The question is what is an acceptable number. IOW when you calculate the cost/benefit /analysis of how much music are you are willing to sacrifice if any.
While I can unequivocally say the music is more dynamic and quieter. I cannot yet calculate how much music is loss if any. I expect that I will answer that in a few more weeks when I break in is complete. No doubt if you are streaming across a USB port you will get some benefit. The question at what cost.
At the price coupled with a 30 day return policy you can get your own answer.

Reactions: AMR / iFi audio

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Lifelike volume
One of the more frequent shortcomings of stereo systems is the inability to play at realistic levels. Music reproduction starts at very tiny signals. The more you amplify music the you amplify music the more you amplify noise. Noise can come from the source. or it can sneak in anywhere along the chain. When you eliminate this noise it automatically allows the music to be more dynamic. You get louder music and not louder noise. Relatively speaking.
As a I frequently state the better your tuna net the more dolphins you catch. The question is what is an acceptable number. IOW when you calculate the cost/benefit /analysis of how much music are you are willing to sacrifice if any.
While I can unequivocally say the music is more dynamic and quieter. I cannot yet calculate how much music is loss if any. I expect that I will answer that in a few more weeks when I break in is complete. No doubt if you are streaming across a USB port you will get some benefit. The question at what cost.
At the price coupled with a 30 day return policy you can get your own answer.
Thank you for mentioning noise and gain. It is a long story of minimising noise while maximising gain in electronics. Since our products have low noise by default, we have researched other ways external noise enters the audio chain. The whole series of iPurifiers and iSilencers is created to combat externally induced noise in audio. Please update us on your experience :)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Disclaimer: I own both devices. For technical explanation see iFi Audio.
I used the iFi Silencer with Audioquest Cinnamon USB cable XDuoo TA-30 Dac/Amp and Sennheiser HD800S
I used the iFi Defender with Ifi Audio Mercury 3.0 USB cable, the Meze Classic 99 headphone iFi Signature Dac and Can Signature dedicated to Meze headphone.
Tidal hi-fi plus was the source.
They are connected via premium power cords and an AC filter.
I feel they are both 95% broken in.
My concern that some of the music would lost appear to be unfounded. To put it in the vernacular, there are no dolphins in my tuna net.
To me noise is kind of ill defined. If there is nothing we can readily identif6 as noise like hiss we assume there is nothing present. I was wrong or ill informed. It is amazing not only do these reduce what is easily recognizable, but the eliminate things I can't describe. Maybe someone else can.
Dynamics and dynamic contrast are greatly improved. That gives you a greater sense of "you are there.
"I should point out that The XDuoo has it s own filter that is selectable. It was active during these evaluation. Reports ae that many are tacking USB filters in series. I did not try that. Maybe if I get bored, I will stack these two filters on top of each other. If I do I will report back.
If you have a noise problem that is either identifiable or unidentifiable I recommend you try these. At this point I have no intention of letting mine go.
As always. IMO YMV. Enjoy the music.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
80x80(3).jpg This recording allows you to experience the benefits of these devices. I am having a little trouble with the link but it is available on Tidal. Take' Nake' Asian Roots Wth Neptune.

Last edited:

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Disclaimer: I own both devices. For technical explanation see iFi Audio.
I used the iFi Silencer with Audioquest Cinnamon USB cable XDuoo TA-30 Dac/Amp and Sennheiser HD800S
I used the iFi Defender with Ifi Audio Mercury 3.0 USB cable, the Meze Classic 99 headphone iFi Signature Dac and Can Signature dedicated to Meze headphone.
Tidal hi-fi plus was the source.
They are connected via premium power cords and an AC filter.
I feel they are both 95% broken in.
My concern that some of the music would lost appear to be unfounded. To put it in the vernacular, there are no dolphins in my tuna net.
To me noise is kind of ill defined. If there is nothing we can readily identif6 as noise like hiss we assume there is nothing present. I was wrong or ill informed. It is amazing not only do these reduce what is easily recognizable, but the eliminate things I can't describe. Maybe someone else can.
Dynamics and dynamic contrast are greatly improved. That gives you a greater sense of "you are there.
"I should point out that The XDuoo has it s own filter that is selectable. It was active during these evaluation. Reports ae that many are tacking USB filters in series. I did not try that. Maybe if I get bored, I will stack these two filters on top of each other. If I do I will report back.
If you have a noise problem that is either identifiable or unidentifiable I recommend you try these. At this point I have no intention of letting mine go.
As always. IMO YMV. Enjoy the music.
Thank you for sharing your experience.
Low noise is key for resolution, dynamics, sound staging, and many other things we love in sound.

iDefender is an isolator with an option for injecting external power if needed (eg. by iPower X).
iSilencer is great for devices powered through USB as it is a filter than cleans up the signal and power supply.
That is a short explanation. You can combine them in one system, if your device is USB powered.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing