iFi audio ZEN Stream - The Official Thread

jandidden

Oct 14, 2021
Guys, new member here. I have an issue. Initial installation of the streamer went well, very good sound. Then switched it off to redo the wiring, and now the Android iFi app doesn't see the streamer. Funny thing is, on the PC it is present and can be used to play as before. It's only on the Android phone that is isn't, and the app wants me to 'add a new device'. What should I do?

Jan Didden

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Hi @jandidden , is it connected wirelessly with your computer or are you using Ethernet?

try to reconnect it using the pairing button (hot-spot switch). If that does not help, start from the scratch following the instructions in the manual or in the instructional YT videos.
. See if it works. Which firmware are you on? It would not hurt to update it? You should not have to do it, but you can always reinstall the app. The app was updated a few times, but if your updates are not automated on your phone, then maybe you could do it manually.

jandidden

Oct 14, 2021
Hi @jandidden , is it connected wirelessly with your computer or are you using Ethernet?

try to reconnect it using the pairing button (hot-spot switch). If that does not help, start from the scratch following the instructions in the manual or in the instructional YT videos.
. See if it works. Which firmware are you on? It would not hurt to update it? You should not have to do it, but you can always reinstall the app. The app was updated a few times, but if your updates are not automated on your phone, then maybe you could do it manually.
Hi, it is connected wirelessly. I will try to set up from scratch. I was hoping to avoid it as it did 't go easy, needed several tries.
The device updated the firmware OTA after the first install so that should be good. IIRC it is on 2.28, does that make sense?

jandidden

Oct 14, 2021
Hi, it is connected wirelessly. I will try to set up from scratch. I was hoping to avoid it as it did 't go easy, needed several tries.
The device updated the firmware OTA after the first install so that should be good. IIRC it is on 2.28, does that make sense?
I did the setup from scratch, several times did not complete. At one point I saw an orange progress bar with caption 'connecting > streamer'. But it didn't complete and hung. The 4th time I was halfway through and connecting the phone to the streamer hot spot and all of a sudden the screen switched to the play screen and music started to flow when I clicked play. Call me flabbergasted.
Also noted that while playing the left light, next to the power button, remained red; I thought it should be white when connected?
Edit: it was playing from a locally connected SSD, but control was from the Android phone.

Last edited:

jandidden

Oct 14, 2021
I did the setup from scratch, several times did not complete. At one point I saw an orange progress bar with caption 'connecting > streamer'. But it didn't complete and hung. The 4th time I was halfway through and connecting the phone to the streamer hot spot and all of a sudden the screen switched to the play screen and music started to flow when I clicked play. Call me flabbergasted.
Also noted that while playing the left light, next to the power button, remained red; I thought it should be white when connected?
Edit: it was playing from a locally connected SSD, but control was from the Android phone.
That was short lived. Can't get it to come up correctly, not on the Android, not on the PC. It never gets through the process. Another evening wasted.
This is the 2nd unit I received. I'll just return it for a refund. Sorry.

Jag1

Oct 17, 2021
i was on my second unit after struggling with it for 2 months trying to get the connection to stabilize. it would not consistently stream Tidal or Spotify without dropping out. i sent my second unit back to TREO in Singapore and they are charging me a 50% restocking fee on a defective unit!! insult to injury. i have asked IFI to help in getting my money back from these guys. but so far no success, now out $600 and no Zen Stream. this product was brought to the market way to early, but it does sound good.

Northgraves

Oct 21, 2021
A bug to report:
After playing a few tracks on Tidal, using Tidal Connect, I stop Tidal, click Home icon, and try to start a web radio.
Often, start getting this:

photo_2021-10-24_10-08-10.jpg

Doesn't matter which station, it will keep giving this message.

Fix? Shutdown menu, Restart.

Then it plays fine.

Firmware 2.29.8:
2.jpg

Last edited:

Jag1

Oct 17, 2021
yes i would get the message just, re-boot, re-boot, re-boot. still annoying.

Jag1

Oct 17, 2021
still a work in progress, they Ifi should just give these to people free of charge to test until they are hassle free. i sent mine back to TREO in Singapore for replacement. they wanted to charge me a 50% open box fee on a defective unit. can you imagine? hey but it's Asia. i will a replacement grudgingly.

Reactions: Rischa

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
A bug to report:
After playing a few tracks on Tidal, using Tidal Connect, I stop Tidal, click Home icon, and try to start a web radio.
Often, start getting this:

View attachment 83075

Doesn't matter which station, it will keep giving this message.

Fix? Shutdown menu, Restart.

Then it plays fine.

Firmware 2.29.8:
View attachment 83076
Hi @Northgraves , Please check and change your Audio Mixer on the GUI /settings/general playback options /volume options. That should do the job if not then it's Tidal.

Last edited:

Northgraves

Oct 21, 2021
Hi @Northgraves , Please check and change your Audio Mixer on the GUI /settings/general playback options /volume options. That should do the job.
Hi, the mixer was changed from Day 1 to "None":
2021-10-26_110945.png

I don't think I want "Software" chosen, for sound quality reason.

Porteri

Oct 29, 2021
Hello! Another newbie here :) Just unboxed and set up my Zen stream - which I intend to plus directly into my Marantz amp once I get going.

but I cannot get a decent wifi connection. The green led simply will not stay on - it has maybe gone on a couple of times then stays off.

message when I use the iOS app for setup is that my wifi is unstable.

I know this isn’t the case though - as I can run anything from a TV to an iPhone off it.

and the Zen is barely five meters away from the broadband modem.

Any thoughts?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
:(:(
Use the ethernet connection.

Reactions: AMR / iFi audio

Porteri

Oct 29, 2021
:(:(
Use the ethernet connection.
I gave that a quick try last night (not successfully in terms of getting the unit working but more experimentation might do it); however given the location of my modem and the stereo I’m going to need some new cabling … this is what I hoped to avoid going wireless

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I gave that a quick try last night (not successfully in terms of getting the unit working but more experimentation might do it); however given the location of my modem and the stereo I’m going to need some new cabling … this is what I hoped to avoid going wireless
Is the supplied cable to short?
Did you use the default setting? You can switch to Tidal, etc. after setup.

Reactions: AMR / iFi audio

Porteri

Oct 29, 2021
Is the supplied cable to short?
Did you use the default setting? You can switch to Tidal, etc. after setup.
I did use the default setting. The unit came with a short Ethernet cable. I bought a 1m coax to attach to my amp; if it DOES work via Ethernet I’ll need another 4m of one of either coax or Ethernet

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I must confess I was unable to get it to work in wireless mpde.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing