Ikeda Cartridges esp 9Gss

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I saw a nice Ikeda 9Gss today which seems to be their top of line cartridge.

Can anyone shed some light on their cartridges and what sort of tone arm would be suitable (apart from their own of course).

Cheers

Howie 115F7CF1-5E31-4D1E-8758-A6194FB4B8A0.jpeg 1CA82409-D773-485D-8859-81A778C3D72B.jpeg

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
I tried my Cantileverless Rowland Complement(IKEDA) in The Groovemaster Titanium which should work fine
this arm also handles Lumiere perfectly

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
of course , but don´t underestimate The Groovemaster, it´s extremely well made, at half the cost...
even the finish and you don´t need RayBans just to look at it :oops:

Reactions: howiebrou

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thank you. I'm thinking an Ikeda 407 would go nicely with it?

There is a nice Ikeda 407 for sale in the UK if you are interested?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Reactions: 108CY and howiebrou

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
He is now planning to get the Glanz. He hasn't heard it yet, just itchy

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
listening differences between Ikeda and Groovemaster
I know some of theese older arms like 407 and 64 ans 66S are considered more dynamic, but at the cost of refinement...
matches well my previous impressions as owner of both 64 and 66S, but it was along time ago

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
listening differences between Ikeda and Groovemaster
I know some of theese older arms like 407 and 64 ans 66S are considered more dynamic, but at the cost of refinement...
matches well my previous impressions as owner of both 64 and 66S, but it was along time ago

66s on a brinkmann balance is one of the top analog set ups i have heard. I like the fr64s very much though that can be improved upon. I prefer Ikeda 407 to the Thales simplicity with zyx universe on a feickert firebird once, and this was my other experience. The one shortcoming might be on inner grooves on orchestral for the Ikeda.

Yes the arm does have a nice midrange and a smoothness, weight, and authority some might consider a color. I am ok with it though

I wouldn't say dynamic, I would day the fr64 has a high energy. It doesn't just slam. The FR 66s seems calmer and more majestic.

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
thxs for sharing
I´ll see where I finally end up on my shot at the Garrardzilla...waiting for custom Peak slate plinth, Hanze psu and motor check on my CTC301...bronze platter and bearing from Italy are home wating...

montesquieu

Jan 27, 2019
Howie, I'm the chap Kedar referred to, I just sent you a long rambling email on all things Ikeda and Groovemaster.

Short version the Ikedas are great cartridges, I've owned several both the old cantileverless ones and the current (9TT which is mid-range), very modern sounding, detailed, holographic,, and pretty musical. Kedar loves my 9TT but I tend to listen instead to my Myajima Madake which has fewer fireworks but suits my temperament rather better.

The Groovemaster is a great sounding arm, actually up with the best I think, but falls short of the best removable headshell arms like the Ikeda or M2-12R in fit and finish, and in niceness of handling. Totally personal how much that matters to people. Its also VERY heavy and I would say restricts cartridge choice firmly to low compliance cartridges a bit more than an early Ikeda IT407 like mine. Again depends on your cartridge preferences whether that's significant, no issues with SPUs and the like of course.

I'm switching to the Glanz purely out of curiosity. Been lusting after one since I saw it at at a show a couple of years back. You know how it is.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Howie, I'm the chap Kedar referred to, I just sent you a long rambling email on all things Ikeda and Groovemaster.

Short version the Ikedas are great cartridges, I've owned several both the old cantileverless ones and the current (9TT which is mid-range), very modern sounding, detailed, holographic,, and pretty musical. Kedar loves my 9TT but I tend to listen instead to my Myajima Madake which has fewer fireworks but suits my temperament rather better.

The Groovemaster is a great sounding arm, actually up with the best I think, but falls short of the best removable headshell arms like the Ikeda or M2-12R in fit and finish, and in niceness of handling. Totally personal how much that matters to people. Its also VERY heavy and I would say restricts cartridge choice firmly to low compliance cartridges a bit more than an early Ikeda IT407 like mine. Again depends on your cartridge preferences whether that's significant, no issues with SPUs and the like of course.

I'm switching to the Glanz purely out of curiosity. Been lusting after one since I saw it at at a show a couple of years back. You know how it is.

Thank you for the message and congrats on the Glanz. That was another one i was looking at. May be some day...

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
hi thxs for very informative contribution
can see from your gear where your preferences are...harmonics......or King Tone like the late Harvey Gizmo Rosenberg always referred to from Singleendedville
reg the Groovemaster: I chose it specifically to match the Lumiere and also the Rowland Complement, and possibly other very low c cartridges
the other arm on my Garardzilla will (as a starter) be the Alfred Bokrand Ortofon based 309 banana with EMT diamond mount for my EMT TSD 15 and TMD 25.
My main tt from 91 is still Basis Ovation (upgraded just before AJ Conti left us) with Airtangent Reference
Until recently I had a Lyra Titan i in it, but the left channel gave up and I´m waiting to see what shows up from Lyra, whenever they´re ready
best
Leif

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
...The Groovemaster is a great sounding arm, actually up with the best I think, but falls short of the best removable headshell arms like the Ikeda or M2-12R in fit and finish, and in niceness of handling. Totally personal how much that matters to people. Its also VERY heavy...
Were you using the titanium arm wand (now the only one they offer) or the aluminum arm wand version? Just curious...

montesquieu

Jan 27, 2019

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing