I'm confused...what is the better way to go?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
So I'm close to switching over my gear from one room to another (will happen when I'm on vacation in 2 weeks), and I was advised to keep my gear away from in between my speakers. I can do that, but here is where the confusion comes in.

I can keep my gear away from in between my speakers by using longer speaker cables to the rack, or I can place the Power amp on the floor in between the speakers and use longer IC's to the main rack. Based on some advise I was told it's better to have longer IC's (from Power to Pre) than having longer speaker cables. Now I'm being told the opposite from a friend who asked his dealer.

This is what my friend's dealer said:
Hey John , i was telling my stereo guy about you moving your stuff into the living room and placement on electronics and where the amp is going to go and he does not think it will work using such long patch cords and he stated with that length there will not be much signal coming out at the ends where the amp is and it would probably sound worse .

If you are going with those lengths you would need xlr cables .

First, I don't have the XLR connectivity available to me and second, I'm concerned about him saying it may sound worse. One way or the other I'm going to need some cables....which type is the question. Can someone please shed some light on this!

Thanks!

vinylsound

Feb 21, 2013
Virginia
Everyone struggles here. My two cents worth: Get 100 feet of lamp cord, the really cheap stuff , cut it to appropriate lengths and just listen. Once you have decided which component should be on the long end, then decide about cost, brand, etc. In any case, you will get improvements just by getting the rack out from between the speakers......even with lamp cord. Others may and probably will disagree, but that's my 2c.

Last edited:

mep

Apr 20, 2010
John-How long of ICs are we talking here? I think your friend's stereo dealer didn't graduate at the top of his class.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
We're not talking anything excessive.....12ft at most!

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Then I was right. Your friend's stereo dealer was about 10 IQ points away from riding the little yellow bus to school every day. Go with 12' ICs and short speaker cables.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Then I was right. Your friend's stereo dealer was about 10 IQ points away from riding the little yellow bus to school every day. Go with 12' ICs and short speaker cables.

LOL! You crack me up! :D

I think that's what I'll do since I don't want to really change my speaker cable anyway...I like them just fine. So my McIntosh MC122 will go in between my speakers on the floor (on a temporary base) and then I will run the longer IC's to the preamp on my rack.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan

+1 I agree.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
+1 I agree.

Thank you Sir for the double confirmation. Where did this guys logic come from? He sells some pretty high-end stuff....so i don't get it.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I've been using single ended runsinexcess of 30 ft for years and years. Your dealer friend must have spoken the keep ICS short mantra a few too many times. :)

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I've been using single ended runsinexcess of 30 ft for years and years. Your dealer friend must have spoken the keep ICS short mantra a few too many times. :)

I guess. He floored me when I received his email and told me this. I had to ask you guys for confirmation as I'd never before heard of this.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I agree with both Mark and Jack. At 12', even single-ended IC's will be no problem in your set-up.

Thanks Gary! The whole thing just kinda threw me for a loop. BTW...I've got those PC's in my cart at TakeFiveAudio and will now add an IC.

Another BTW.....The 7.1f's are amazing! Can't wait to hear them sound even better after the room change!:D

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
...He can even put his gear between his speakers; just like many many audiophiles do.
...Behind their front face of course.

That's basically how I have it set up now. To add however, I will be connecting my PC to the system as well, so having the main rack closeby makes it more fluid and really easy to operate when I'm burning discs and wanting to hear the playback on my system. (I make a lot of compilations on disc for friends).

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Of course the dealer will tell you to buy longer speaker cables. More money in his pocket!

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
I'll add my voice to the "long IC, shorter speaker cable" group. I'm using single-ended cables here, and the 6 M run between preamp and power amps works just fine.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
John, I'm guessing but was that a Nordost dealer?:rolleyes:

Haha. I don't really know to be honest as I've never been there.

Longer IC's it is for sure....and they won't by Nordost. ;)

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'll add my voice to the "long IC, shorter speaker cable" group. I'm using single-ended cables here, and the 6 M run between preamp and power amps works just fine.

Another confirmation...thanks Rich!

The max for me will be a 4M run

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing