Improving top tier DACS

ANDRESZ

Oct 14, 2018
The thought crossed my mind on whether I can get close to a high end source by putting in a dedicated clock in front of a high end dac. Enter the Empirical Audio Synchromesh.

Just had my Empirical Audio Syncromesh modded by Steve Nugent to his new 7 psec configuration and the result is nothing short of stunning. I had his previous upgrade done a while ago and that was a step up from an already seriously high level of performance.

The lift in cohesion in resolution combined with organic 3D is outstanding as are decay trails and harmonics. No edge but an increase in detail - which is very hard to get. Best described as a high quality turntable.

In my rig, the Syncromesh is fed by Argento reference digital cabling and the output is a Shunyata SIGMA BNC. The cost of the cables are multiples of the Synchromesh price. The DAC is a Metrum Adagio NOS which is very detailed especially when run direct to power amps. So it is a real test for the quality of ancillaries.

The Syncromesh makes my system shine and I recommend very highly. Never underestimate the power of the clock in a system. At 7 psec - that’s extraordinary.

Also recommend a high quality linear power supply. I use an Sbooster with Shunyata Alpha PC but I suspect the Paul Hynes LPS Empirical Audio is a killer combination.

Moral of the story is that despite a very high end dac, an excellent clock interfacing with it makes a serious difference.

Reactions: dbeau

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
I also own the Metrum Adagio so find your post of great interest. If you'd be so kind to share, what is your digital source/server feeding the Syncromesh? TIA

ANDRESZ

Oct 14, 2018
I sometimes use a NAGRA CDP and also a Nvidia Shield TV (don't laugh! he he). The Shield is grounded and has an audiophile SPDIF interface to the Syncromesh. I have also used (In Australia) an AV streamer based on ROKU that I route through an AV processor and use SPDIF output for audio and HDMI for video. This set up is for HT watching of HD concerts/music - so getting an audiophile SQ along with a large screen is awesome.

Re the Adagio, I usually use it in the -10 db setting for a deeper and more immersive soundstage but this is power amp dependent. I use valve monos.

I prefer to the NAGRA source and that is a very capable transport. The NAGRA gains from the Syncromesh. I have found all my sources do. I always use the SM just before the Adagio.

BobbinHobbin

Jul 15, 2016
Wait, is the Empirical Audio Syncromesh an external master clock like the Mutec REF10 & the SOtM sCLK-OCX10?

The wording on their website is a little vague.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing