In praise of idlers

saberger0311

Jan 15, 2022
Love the Sparta, looks like a Russco CueMaster.
Adnick and I have Russco Studio Pro Model B tables that have been gone through top to bottom and sit in custom plinths made by master woodworker Adnick.
There is a huge post on AudioKarma about our builds in the Turntable subforum. I was looking for a more affordable approach to a high end idler than the Garrards and Thorens route, the massive build quality of the Russco tables really grabbed me and the stick shift sealed the deal. Plus the low cost of entry ensured that others could and have followed our path.
For anyone interested in an affordable DIY idler drive that rocks, check out our builds.

BillWojo
From what I've read, it is a rebranded Cue-Master.

I've seen and read some of those threads on AK and they're great and inspiring.

The Sparta was completely rebuilt/restored by the seller. It's as quiet as the Lenco, which is belt drive quiet. The main difference between the two tables is that the Sparta has the biggest sound I've ever heard from any of the very many tables I've owned and/or listened to. If I ever wanted to turn somebody onto why idlers bring home the music unlike other tables, this is the table I'd have them hear. In comparison, the Lenco has a delicate quality combined with the idler drive that is extremely attractive. The Sparta is a brute, but in the best way possible.

I have a completely rebuilt TD-124 that sounds great, but not any better then these two new one's.

I'm a lucky guy.

(Oh yeah, he's working on a 301 for me...I may burst from excitement...)

Last edited:
Reactions: Solypsa

jespera

Jan 12, 2018
London
From what I've read, it is a rebranded Cue-Master.

I've seen and read some of those threads on AK and they're great and inspiring.

The Sparta was completely rebuilt/restored by the seller. It's as quiet as the Lenco, which is belt drive quiet. The main difference between the two tables is that the Sparta has the biggest sound I've ever heard from any of the very many tables I've owned and/or listened to. If I ever wanted to turn somebody onto why idlers bring home the music unlike other tables, this is the table I'd have them hear. In comparison, the Lenco has a delicate quality combined with the idler drive that is extremely attractive. The Sparta is a brute, but in the best way possible.

I have a completely rebuilt TD-124 that sounds great, but not any better then these two new one's.

I'm a lucky guy.

(Oh yeah, he's working on a 301 for me...I may burst from excitement...)

I mainly have experience with garrards, lencos, and td124.

Of those id say that the garrard is the most powerful _and_ refined, the lenco has the best boogaloo and the td 124 has a nice
flow that particularly suits female voice but it is not as metronomic as the two others. The lenco is the most quiet btw. The td124
not very quiet and most of the noise actually comes from the belt -- for the ones Ive experienced.

In short: the garrard punches like foreman, the lenco boogies like james brown, and the td124 sings like holiday.

They are all great machines but pushed Id say garrard>=lenco>td124.

I imagine the american stick shifts to be even more powerful than the garrards but possibly less refined. Id like one, one day.

Last edited:
Reactions: McDee275

saberger0311

Jan 15, 2022
I mainly have experience with garrards, lencos, and td124.

Of those id say that the garrard is the most powerful _and_ refined, the lenco has the best boogaloo and the td 124 has a nice
flow that particularly suits female voice but it is not as metronomic as the two others. The lenco is the most quiet btw. The td124
not very quiet and most of the noise actually comes from the belt -- for the ones Ive experienced.

In short the garrard puches like foreman, the lenco boogies like james brown, and the td124 sings like holiday.

They are all great machines but pushed Id say garrard>=lenco>td124.

I imagine the american stick shifts to be even more powerful than the garrards but possibly less refined. Id like one, one day.
All of my idlers are basically very quiet. The Sparta's motor can be heard when no music is playing, but it's not a big deal. My Fairchild 412 was louder. The Sparta is the one that punches hardest. Huge sound. I've had Garrard Lab 80's which I loved, and those really slammed. Same with Dual 1009 and 1019's. The Lenco is a marvelous table which does boogie, but has a certain smoothness that I wasn't expecting. The 124 is really nice, and sounds great, but has nowhere near the slam of the pure idlers.

Really looking forward to having a 301.

Reactions: jespera

jespera

Jan 12, 2018
London
All of my idlers are basically very quiet. The Sparta's motor can be heard when no music is playing, but it's not a big deal. My Fairchild 412 was louder. The Sparta is the one that punches hardest. Huge sound. I've had Garrard Lab 80's which I loved, and those really slammed. Same with Dual 1009 and 1019's. The Lenco is a marvelous table which does boogie, but has a certain smoothness that I wasn't expecting. The 124 is really nice, and sounds great, but has nowhere near the slam of the pure idlers.

Really looking forward to having a 301.

I agree with that. You really need all of them and youd instinctly know what record to play on what table ...

saberger0311

Jan 15, 2022
Also depends on the carts you use on them. For the short time I've had it, I started with an AT cart that came with the Lenco, but quickly switched that out for a Shure M3D. Much, much better. Have a Shure M55E on the Sparta, and that's a big reason that it's so powerful. Huge output. Will be trying some others soon. Have a Signet TK9E with a TK10ML stylus on the 124. That's my most fancy cart, and it works really well with the 124, but it's not a slammer like the Shure's. So you can really change the sound of each table depending on taste, records, etc.

jespera

Jan 12, 2018
London
Indeed, but I find its most often a case of synergy. I like spus and a shure m35x/n35/s78 on my 301 and denon 103 (in the great lenco l70 tonearm) and the magical ortofon sl15ell on my big lenco. On the td124 I use a pimped 103.

saberger0311

Jan 15, 2022
Been really enjoying the Sparta, but when this became available locally from the same fellow I obtained the Sparta from, I couldn't resist.

saberger0311

Jan 15, 2022
Congrats!
So, the big question.... how does it compare to the Sparta???

Best wishes,
Don
Thanks.

The Sparta is more of a pounder. It slams the music home. It is not delicate. It's not subtle. The 301 has the classic idler drive and strength, but it is smoother, and more subtle. Also quieter. In fact, it might be the most quiet table I've ever owned, whether idler, direct drive or belt. Completely invisible.

I also have a TD-124 and that definitely falls somewhere between the two.

Reactions: No Regrets

No Regrets

Jan 24, 2012
Midwest USA
Thanks.

The Sparta is more of a pounder. It slams the music home. It is not delicate. It's not subtle. The 301 has the classic idler drive and strength, but it is smoother, and more subtle. Also quieter. In fact, it might be the most quiet table I've ever owned, whether idler, direct drive or belt. Completely invisible.

I also have a TD-124 and that definitely falls somewhere between the two.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us! It's nice to hear from someone who has several different drive types :)
Best wishes,
Don

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing