In-wall cable question

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
After all my decades long attempts to use power conditioners and a box full of parallel power filters, I actually found none worked best, and the Nordost Qbase power strip in particular sounded better than anything else. Power filtering always takes something away and its never apparent what it is until you remove it.

Of course, further upstream I have 3x iFi X and an iFi Elite powering a plethora of devices. :D They are the price performance champs.
Thanks!
I was thinking, you might want to try the AC iPurifier with your new installation. It's an active filter that doesn't, increase the impedance, great for power amps!

poonbean

Jul 30, 2020
OK - here's what I can now report back.

But first, the short onramp to my recent arrival to this thread starts with me thinking (closer to, actually, believing...) that my integrated was mismatched with my speakers (a fairly recent aquisition). The speakers presenta load of 86db and dippto 1.8 ohms. So, that was enough to search for easier driving speakers because I like the integrated.

Why hear a mismatch? I "knew" my system is better than it sounds (hah!). Tho the tonality was fine up to moderate volume and there was a reasonable stable image, it was presented with feeble bass, limited detail, somewhat thin, lacking gravitas, and weak dynamics. Sounded quite nice, and vieled. Non audiphiles loved it.

After discussions with folks way more experienced than me in these matters, the solution might reside in better power supply - because the solar and powerwall batteries might not be delivering sufficient dynamic current to meet the instantaneous loads demanded by the integrated.

That's how I found Terry at Equi-Tech - super friendly, engaged, interested, articulate, responsive, and, shall I dare say, empathetic, with my goals. Anyhoo - since I have a couple of dedicted lines into the multipurpose room within which my system resides, changing a 14/2 15a 120v line to 10/2 20a 240v to power an Equi-Tech 3RQ might do the trick. Thus my earlier question to the group about in wall wire.

Bingo - the Equi-Tech completely solved this problem. Lots of bass, lots of detail, lots space and depth, rich tonalities, dynamic, quiet. wow. I also sent Terry some of my existing fancy outlets to install, which eliminated that upgrade cost. It's been on for only 4 days, and keeps getting better.

And the in-wall wire, after engaging with Rex offline, and given the several constraints that my house presents, the recommendation was to simply install 10/2 simpull southwire to replace the 14/2 that was there. It's in and it sounds great.

Last edited:

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
OK - here's what I can now report back.

But first, the short onramp to my recent arrival to this thread starts with me thinking (closer to, actually, believing...) that my integrated was mismatched with my speakers (a fairly recent aquisition). The speakers presenta load of 86db and dippto 1.8 ohms. So, that was enough to search for easier driving speakers because I like the integrated.

Why hear a mismatch? I "knew" my system is better than it sounds (hah!). Tho the tonality was fine up to moderate volume and there was a reasonable stable image, it was presented with feeble bass, limited detail, somewhat thin, lacking gravitas, and weak dynamics. Sounded quite nice, and vieled. Non audiphiles loved it.

After discussions with folks way more experienced than me in these matters, the solution might reside in better power supply - because the solar and powerwall batteries might not be delivering sufficient dynamic current to meet the instantaneous loads demanded by the integrated.

That's how I found Terry at Equi-Tech - super friendly, engaged, interested, articulate, responsive, and, shall I dare say, empathetic, with my goals. Anyhoo - since I have a couple of dedicted lines into the multipurpose room within which my system resides, changing a 14/2 15a 120v line to 10/2 20a 240v to power an Equi-Tech 3RQ might do the trick. Thus my earlier question to the group about in wall wire.

Bingo - the Equi-Tech completely solved this problem. Lots of bass, lots of detail, lots space and depth, rich tonalities, dynamic, quiet. wow. I also sent Terry some of my existing fancy outlets to install, which eliminated that upgrade cost. It's been on for only 4 days, and keeps getting better.

And the in-wall wire, after engaging with Rex offline, and given the several constraints that my house presents, the recommendation was to simply install 10/2 simpull southwire to replace the 14/2 that was there. It's in and it sounds great.
Thanks for updating us! If you can share some pictures, it would be much appreciated :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing