Initial (and positive) impressions on the Mach2 server

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I had finally installed the Mach2 server in my system, I tried some months back to set-up an iMac based server without success (sonically and ergonomics) - this is complete different experience.

I bought this unit used, and I can tell tell you it does not worth it, since it is not that easy (even for me a tech guy) to set it up with all its features and functions, I am not saying you need a PhD to install it, but a new unit receives a very good support from the manufacturer (who has a fast an clear communication practice).

I still need to fine-tune the installation, things such as getting rid of the monitor and use my iPad to operate it, turn-off all un-neccesary features of the Mac OS and proper naming in the server to get out the best out of it.

What I can share with you now is that the Mach2 server sounds far beyond my expectations, the bar is high with my Accuphase and Havanna modified digital from end, and my initial impression is that I have a good potential to finally settle and build up from here. How is the sound? - I would call it effortless, uncolored and dynamic - no sense of listening fatigue usually attached to digital sources (that is why I use Accuphase right now) or over-pyrothecnic, excellent details rendered and of course, great ergonomics and GUI.

As said, I still need to fine-tune it and play with other USB cables, power cords, better/battery PSU, etc.. but as-it-is, the Mach2 is a very enjoyable/listenable toy.

I forgot mentioning that I am using Puremusic above the iTunes app layer. Amarra is also an option and supposedly, a better one.

More later

Last edited:

a.dent

Nov 11, 2011
Perth, Australia
Have a look at Audirvana Plus as a player as well as Amarra. It's a lot easier to use than PM and sounds similar. I've tried most players and have settled on A+ for the moment

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Have a look at Audirvana Plus as a player as well as Amarra. It's a lot easier to use than PM and sounds similar. I've tried most players and have settled on A+ for the moment

Both players are pre-installed in my Mach2, but I had a pre-purchased Puremusic license and decided to use it for the moment, I know that Amarra is a tad better in terms of sonic performance but nothing on the A+, thanks for the heads-up!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing