Innuos Phoenix USB

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Well, seems the cat's out of the bag a little earlier :)

https://darko.audio/2019/09/innuos-to-launch-phoenixusb-re-clocker-with-a-b-demos/

Price will be $3149. The unit is primarily designed to fill the gap between the ZENith and Statement (previously occupied by the SE) but can be used with any of our servers (MK II as well) or any source with USB out for that matter.

For those of you without Statements I strongly recommend getting one of these to partner with ZEN/ZENith. We are accepting pre orders…

Innuos will be doing A/B demos of a ZENith + Phoenix USB vs. Statement this weekend at RMAF.
innuos-phoenix-758x426.png

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Alex, have you heard this thing?

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Not yet...

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Keep us posted. With my tonearm upgrade, and a cdp mods package soon to be done, I'm pretty much finished on front end gear purchases, streaming the only thing left to investigate. Innuos remains in some ways the most obvious choice, and I'm curious as to the value of this add-on box, Zenith Mk3 now a known quantity.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Cool, I'll let you all know once I know and hear more.

johndoe21ro

Oct 3, 2012
Europe
Any news?

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
It'll begin shipping first week of December. We have one coming then.

Reactions: CKKeung

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
copy & paste from the "Shakti goes digital" thread:

Today UPS came and presented to me the

Innuos Phoenix USB reclocker

http://www.innuos.com/uploads/cms/docs/Innuos_PhoenixUSB_webFlyer.pdf

It took some weeks after the presentation on the fair, that Innuos was able to run the production, but finally the Phoenix arrived prior Christmas :)

Currently I am using the Innuos Zenith MKIII music server (as Roon Core) and tried the Innuos Statement.
The Statement was clearly better that Zenith, but not equivalent to 10k on cost (with 4TB ssd) .
At least for me and my budget.

During on of the fairs I attended, Innuos presented the Phoenix and explained, that this unit will close the gap between Zenith and Statement, even being more close to the Statement performance.

The fair presentation was promissing, so I ordered.

Innuos is describing the Phoenix in the following way:

• The usB chip regenerating the signal contains no switching regulators. All 3 independent voltages to the chip originate from an independent linear power supply with further regulation provided by 3 sets of LT3045 regulators.
  • · The use of a 3ppb OCXO clock running directly at 24MHz and connected via a board track just a couple of inches away from the usB chip. Therefore, no precision is lost within cables and connectors, as is the case when using an external master 10MHz clock with an additional 24MHz clock generator.
  • · Two independent statement-level linear power supplies, one dedicated to the OCXO clock and the other used for powering the usB chip/5V usB line.

Installing the Phoenix was quickly done, using the Ridge Street Audio USB cable between Zenith and Phoenix and the Kharma USB cable between Phoenix and Nyquist II DAC.

I listened to the following track:

The positive effect of the Phoenix was obvious, the room became deeper, the baseline more natural and better integrated in the room, more air around the instrument.

The main voice and the second voice in the mix were more easy to identify and to follow up.

Tonal balance is now more on the slightly darker side, a little softer, many would say : "more analogue"
Like I know it from missing digital artifacts , everybody with the knowledge of using a "jitter killer" couple of years ago, knows the effect.

As with all gear, the Phoenix reacts on placement. Currently Ceraballs (like little Stillpoints) are used on an Ensemble Honyplate base. To give some weight (and quietness) a little Artesania weight is added to the top plate.

Can't wait, the the Phoenix gets fully burned in.

...and as I know, the question will come.

I cannot compare to the Statement, as this is too long ago and I changed the Preamp in the meantime.

Reactions: fbs and thyname

thyname

Apr 22, 2019
N. Virginia
copy & paste from the "Shakti goes digital" thread:

Today UPS came and presented to me the

Innuos Phoenix USB reclocker

http://www.innuos.com/uploads/cms/docs/Innuos_PhoenixUSB_webFlyer.pdf

It took some weeks after the presentation on the fair, that Innuos was able to run the production, but finally the Phoenix arrived prior Christmas :)

Currently I am using the Innuos Zenith MKIII music server (as Roon Core) and tried the Innuos Statement.
The Statement was clearly better that Zenith, but not equivalent to 10k on cost (with 4TB ssd) .
At least for me and my budget.

During on of the fairs I attended, Innuos presented the Phoenix and explained, that this unit will close the gap between Zenith and Statement, even being more close to the Statement performance.

The fair presentation was promissing, so I ordered.

Innuos is describing the Phoenix in the following way:

• The usB chip regenerating the signal contains no switching regulators. All 3 independent voltages to the chip originate from an independent linear power supply with further regulation provided by 3 sets of LT3045 regulators.
  • · The use of a 3ppb OCXO clock running directly at 24MHz and connected via a board track just a couple of inches away from the usB chip. Therefore, no precision is lost within cables and connectors, as is the case when using an external master 10MHz clock with an additional 24MHz clock generator.
  • · Two independent statement-level linear power supplies, one dedicated to the OCXO clock and the other used for powering the usB chip/5V usB line.

Installing the Phoenix was quickly done, using the Ridge Street Audio USB cable between Zenith and Phoenix and the Kharma USB cable between Phoenix and Nyquist II DAC.

I listened to the following track:

The positive effect of the Phoenix was obvious, the room became deeper, the baseline more natural and better integrated in the room, more air around the instrument.

The main voice and the second voice in the mix were more easy to identify and to follow up.

Tonal balance is now more on the slightly darker side, a little softer, many would say : "more analogue"
Like I know it from missing digital artifacts , everybody with the knowledge of using a "jitter killer" couple of years ago, knows the effect.

As with all gear, the Phoenix reacts on placement. Currently Ceraballs (like little Stillpoints) are used on an Ensemble Honyplate base. To give some weight (and quietness) a little Artesania weight is added to the top plate.

Can't wait, the the Phoenix gets fully burned in.

...and as I know, the question will come.

I cannot compare to the Statement, as this is too long ago and I changed the Preamp in the meantime.

Thanks for the review!

Are you based in US? If so, who is your dealer?

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Thanks for the review!

Are you based in US? If so, who is your dealer?

I am from Cologne, Germany, so just 24h UPS shipping time from the Innuos plant.
Means, most likely I am the first one using and writing about a production run Phoenix clock in a Forum :)

johndoe21ro

Oct 3, 2012
Europe
I am from Cologne, Germany, so just 24h UPS shipping time from the Innuos plant.
Means, most likely I am the first one using and writing about a production run Phoenix clock in a Forum :)
You've got a great system... looking at your signature! May you enjoy it in good health! I was wondering if you have any prior experience with other reclockers and/or USB galvanic isolation devices (UpTone, Intona, SOtM), etc.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
I was wondering if you have any prior experience with other reclockers and/or USB galvanic isolation devices (UpTone, Intona, SOtM), etc.

Yes, I had, so I decided, that I have to improve the USB connection.
As I do not own the mentioned devices, I was happy, that friends provided me with some support.
Unfortunately ( so far) no comparison to the Phoenix USB clock has happened

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Apologies if already covered, but one needs a second USB to connect these two units?

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Apologies if already covered, but one needs a second USB to connect these two units?

Yes, but Innuos Phoenix comes with a fair quality USB cable as standard accessory.
Should be good enough for the start.

shaned

Nov 7, 2019
Just saw the Uk price for the Reclocker and £2249 isn’t a bad price at all and added to the £1900 or whatever for the Mark iii it’s only a couple of hundred pounds dearer than the Mark II SE but with much better sound.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing