Input humbly requested

Thuan

Apr 20, 2020
There's nothing wrong with Sonore fiber cables. They're multi mode fiber which inherently has higher attenuation and limited bandwidth. I'd enjoy using it for a while until I'd be ready to "upgrade" to single mode transceivers and fiber cables whose attenuation is minimum and virtually unlimited bandwidth.

When that time comes, I'd go to Planet USA (planetechusa.com) and grab a pair of MGB-TLX single mode transceivers. Compatible single mode fiber cable can be found at Amazon.com.

Macattack

VIP/Donor
Aug 21, 2014
SC Low country
Update : I am now running a Bricasti M21 and have made some changes to my network to isolate my Audio side from WiFi network. Installed Ubiquiti Edge Router x-SFP.

ISP Modem to Edge Router X-SFP with NAS, Bricasti, Win 7 PC and ASUS RC-AT68U router connected. The ASUS has DHCP disabled and is set as 192.168.1.2.

The connections are:

1) Win 7 PC - Ethernet - Sonore Optical Module- fiber - Edge Router - Ethernet - Modem.
2) Bricasti - ethernet - GIligafoil V4 - ethernet - Edge router
3) NAS - ethernet - Edge router
4) ASUS - ethernet to Edge router

Everything is working eg is connected and sounds great!

Upgrades anticipated are:

- Improved LPSs
- Improved Ethernet cables all around

Last edited:

Thuan

Apr 20, 2020
Updates: Finisar optical transceivers and Corning fiber cables are sounding even better, reportedly.

JGlacken

Mar 4, 2011
I was invited to listen to Craig’s system. We spent two hours yesterday listening to all genre and all kinds of formats and filters. I can tell you that his new M21 is without a doubt fabulous in his system. We compared my M1se with MDx board with an M3 first, but the jump to the M21 is many steps better in his system.
A great time with a superb system!

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
Does anyone have a source for Finisar transceiver that is all the rage on the Extreme thread? The Finisar FTLF1324P2BTL-MC LW.

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
Thank you. I've just ordered those you linked to. Unfortunately, they won't ship to the US, so it'll go to a friend who will forward it onward. I currently have the Planet Techs, and it'll be fun to compare against.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing