Integrating an old HiFi with a PC, wirelessly

Khorso

Apr 8, 2021
Hello everyone,

I am trying to integrate an 80s Technics SU - Z22 amplifier and a pair of 1977 Bose 301 series I with a PC (Windows 10).
I realize its not the best gear to spend time and money on, but they were my fathers, and its a sentimental thing.

I would like to be able to use them as a general wireless audio out for the PC, for music as well as movies etc.
Ive been looking at what options I have, and everything points to either a Bluetooth or a WiFi DAC.
I am looking to spend up to around 100€, but would go to 200-300€ if it would make sense price/performance wise.
Aaand since I have no idea about this kind of tech, I have some questions :)

1) Would it be better to use WiFi instead of Bluetooth for the higher bandwidth, or would I not be able to notice the difference in sound quality anyway, and is Bluetooth enough? Or is there some other, better option I missed?

2) I understand that I need a DAC on the amp side to receive the Bluetooth/WiFi signal and send it to the amp via an audio cable, but do I also need some sort of specialized USB dongle or something to connect through from my PC to the DAC, and have the PC actually recognise the DAC as an audio out? Or would the signal just be transmitted via a regular WiFi/Bluetooth connection?

3) What gear would you recommend, that would make sense with this setup? I dont want to needlessly buy the best and most expensive stuff, that the speakers & amp wont be able to take advantage of anyway, but I also dont want to loose a noticeable amount of sound quality because of the DAC.

4) The speakers have been serviced 10 years ago - at least the cone and diaphragm replaced I think, if not the whole drivers, and they have hardly been used since then. Im guessing they will hold up for a while longer?

Cheers!

Reactions: Andrew S.

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
There are several options that will do what your looking for but that list shrinks rather quickly when taking the budget you list into consideration.

Most Wireless DAC options on the market appear to use a proprietary point to point Wireless technology that operates in a stand alone fashion without leveraging your own Internal home wireless infrastructure. In theory this sounds great but in practice results can be just OK at best and not very reliable.

The only device that seems to have promise is this unit from Yamaha. It uses your own wireless network unlike most of the others in the same price bracket. I've not used or heard this unit myself but might be worth your consideration.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Hello everyone,

I am trying to integrate an 80s Technics SU - Z22 amplifier and a pair of 1977 Bose 301 series I with a PC (Windows 10).
I realize its not the best gear to spend time and money on, but they were my fathers, and its a sentimental thing.

I would like to be able to use them as a general wireless audio out for the PC, for music as well as movies etc.
Ive been looking at what options I have, and everything points to either a Bluetooth or a WiFi DAC.
I am looking to spend up to around 100€, but would go to 200-300€ if it would make sense price/performance wise.
Aaand since I have no idea about this kind of tech, I have some questions :)

1) Would it be better to use WiFi instead of Bluetooth for the higher bandwidth, or would I not be able to notice the difference in sound quality anyway, and is Bluetooth enough? Or is there some other, better option I missed?

2) I understand that I need a DAC on the amp side to receive the Bluetooth/WiFi signal and send it to the amp via an audio cable, but do I also need some sort of specialized USB dongle or something to connect through from my PC to the DAC, and have the PC actually recognise the DAC as an audio out? Or would the signal just be transmitted via a regular WiFi/Bluetooth connection?

3) What gear would you recommend, that would make sense with this setup? I dont want to needlessly buy the best and most expensive stuff, that the speakers & amp wont be able to take advantage of anyway, but I also dont want to loose a noticeable amount of sound quality because of the DAC.

4) The speakers have been serviced 10 years ago - at least the cone and diaphragm replaced I think, if not the whole drivers, and they have hardly been used since then. Im guessing they will hold up for a while longer?

Cheers!
I to like to hold on to my dads old hifi because it brings memories back when listening to them as a kid.

Reactions: Andrew S.

Andrew S.

Mar 20, 2021
Hobart, Tasmania
For an inexpensive all in one streamer/dac I suggest try to find a secondhand Chromecast Audio.

I have one and use it with an older non bluetooth Denon (DM40 DAB+) mini system I have lying around which does great service as a portable little unit - study - bedroom etc.

Unfortunately, Chromecast Audios are no longer made, but if you can find one secondhand (eg Ebay) that can be great option.

The dac inside it is pretty good for what it is, and the single 3.5mm plug out serves either as an optical out (if you want to use/add an external dac) or as a stereo out. To use the stereo out (ie dac in the chromecast) you need a 3.5mm stereo single plug to 2 x RCA plugs cable - they are inexpensive - a few dollars. The streaming is rock solid from my iPhone, which is what I stream from.

if you do get one you could cast from Chrome/Brave browser inside your PC - not sure how but I am sure their are music players you can load into these browsers - and as I understand it some PC music players (with or without a little work arounds) support chromecast (eg JRiver Media Centre, BubbleUPnP with Foobar, VLC, Plex, Mast Caster) - I'm a Mac user so don't hold me to these solutions.

Certainly some streaming services natively support do eg Spotify. It is also simple via your phone.

A quick google for alternatives came up on this site: https://crazytechtricks.com/best-chromecast-audio-alternatives/

The Audiocast Acemate looks interesting.

I hope this helps. Personally I would start there and see how you go. It's wonderful you are enjoying your Dad's gear.

Last edited:
Reactions: Addicted to hifi

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing