Integration of a high quality 2 channel listening system into my existing home theatre AVR

Hillbilly HiFi

Feb 20, 2021
I have recently updated my home theatre system. The AVR that I chose is the Yamaha RXA2 Aventage which does boast a lot of the newest technology in terms of 4K and 8K video all of the latest audio and video formats at a modest price of $800 USD. It has Sabre Ess DAC and a built in Phono stage and respectable streaming capability. I use Tidal to stream a lot if my music. All of the conveniences are great however for me I would like to also have a better 2 channel experience. I have considered many options including starting over with a very decent integrated amplifier something along the lines of a Yamaha AS 1200 or 2200, MUSICAL FIDELITY M6SI INTEGRATED AMPLIFIER,DENON PMA-A110 110TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION INTEGRATED AMPLIFIER(this one has a Dac) or even going hyrbrid tube integrated like Prima luna or Rogue, Cambridge etc.

The reason I am curious is I have to share my home theater room and my 2 channel area and I thought that I could concentrate my budget on the best amplification and hopefully Preamplifier with a pair of speakers worthy of the same money spent.
My RXA2 reciever has one preout for the main channel and if connected to a much higher quality integrated and/or component 2 channel system I would have the benefit of the streaming services and even the dac that comes with the Yamaha Without having to find a model that is another all-in-one unit. When using this 2 channel system I plan to mainly use it with my projects essentials 3 turntable with an Ortofon phone 2M blue cartridge. It's not high end but it's mine and it's what I have to work with right now. It's not high end but it's mine and it's what I have to work with right now. I know one benefit would be to have a better high end Photo stage so when choosing the integrated or component route that is going to be of great importance. One last thing that has occurred to me for example the Yamaha AS 1200 has the ability to attach 2 pairs of speakers and that opens up some interesting possibilities. My current home theatre system is very satisfactory it has a pair of paradigm Premier 700 f's for the left and rights and a 500 C centre channel a pair of elec debut 2.0 6.2 's for the surround a pair of old JBL studio monitors for the back channel and a pair of paradigm in ceiling speakers for my atmos channel. I'm very happy with it as it is for what it is. Now the possibility of having a 2 channel system integrated into the same taking advantage of the dac possibly the phono stage and the streaming capabilities of the Yamaha RXA2 I could potentially add 2 different pairs of 2 channel listening speakers to my system hooked up to The a and B outputs of the Yamaha AS 1200. I find this very intriguing. It would be a nice ability to do at AB comparison of different speakers that you rotate into the mix. Or to have a pair of Heresies or Cornwall's On one channel and maybe some tannoy bookshelves on another for a different experience just by turning a switch.

As far as a budget goes I would like to allow up to $4000 for the integrated amplifier or a combination of an amplifier and peeamp and 3 to $4000 for a pair of speakers hopefully with higher sensitivity because I tend to be someone who likes to listen to my music loud. Thoughts comments suggestions clarifications of my ignorance are all welcome and thank you for any input

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
A direct "disconnection" from 2CH to HT would be preferable, regardless of gear, electrical setup or cost......unless you are willing to compromise on the 2CH.

Tom

Reactions: Mikem53

Hillbilly HiFi

Feb 20, 2021
A direct "disconnection" from 2CH to HT would be preferable, regardless of gear, electrical setup or cost......unless you are willing to compromise on the 2CH.

Tom
Thank you Tom, given a 6 to 8k budget how would you cut the umbilical cord and still be able to stream and have a good phono stage?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Hello, sir. You had mentioned, "The reason I am curious is I have to share my home theater room and my 2 channel".

I will be honest with you. I speed read your post and this was my initial response. While my initial response still stands, it seems my comprehension skills are lacking this evening, self admitted. I read the aforementioned statement as if you were curious to share your HT and your 2Ch system. Hence, my answer. IME, it is best not to combine the two within the same system, unless it is a closed circuit (which is very rare these days).

With that said, hello and please allow me to offer you a very warm welcome to the What's Best Forum.

With the choices you laid out? I would tend to go toward or audition the MF pre-amplifier based on my own experience with products within that brand and how they sound (end result).

Can't say I can offer you much more than that because I am a 2CH guy. Gave up on HT decades ago and only have a handful of friends that have changed gear in their HT rig within the past couple of years. In other words? I would be useless in offering advice on something I have no direct experience with.

Again, my apologies for the misinterpretation and welcome to the forum.

Tom

Hillbilly HiFi

Feb 20, 2021
Hello, sir. You had mentioned, "The reason I am curious is I have to share my home theater room and my 2 channel".

I will be honest with you. I speed read your post and this was my initial response. While my initial response still stands, it seems my comprehension skills are lacking this evening, self admitted. I read the aforementioned statement as if you were curious to share your HT and your 2Ch system. Hence, my answer. IME, it is best not to combine the two within the same system, unless it is a closed circuit (which is very rare these days).

With that said, hello and please allow me to offer you a very warm welcome to the What's Best Forum.

With the choices you laid out? I would tend to go toward or audition the MF pre-amplifier based on my own experience with products within that brand and how they sound (end result).

Can't say I can offer you much more than that because I am a 2CH guy. Gave up on HT decades ago and only have a handful of friends that have changed gear in their HT rig within the past couple of years. In other words? I would be useless in offering advice on something I have no direct experience with.

Again, my apologies for the misinterpretation and welcome to the forum.

Tom
Thanks I guess I could have been a lot shorter post I really want to do stay to the point of designing a good two channel System that doesn't require a dac or a photo stage or streaming capabilities that I wanted to take advantage of the dac and streaming capabilities and concentrate on building a 2 channel system that has a much better amplification and preempt amplification side and a better pair of speakers

Reactions: Steve Williams

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020

Tom
I totally agree.. as I too have tried to do both and at best, it was a compromise.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I have recently updated my home theatre system. The AVR that I chose is the Yamaha RXA2 Aventage which does boast a lot of the newest technology in terms of 4K and 8K video all of the latest audio and video formats at a modest price of $800 USD. It has Sabre Ess DAC and a built in Phono stage and respectable streaming capability. I use Tidal to stream a lot if my music. All of the conveniences are great however for me I would like to also have a better 2 channel experience. I have considered many options including starting over with a very decent integrated amplifier something along the lines of a Yamaha AS 1200 or 2200, MUSICAL FIDELITY M6SI INTEGRATED AMPLIFIER,DENON PMA-A110 110TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION INTEGRATED AMPLIFIER(this one has a Dac) or even going hyrbrid tube integrated like Prima luna or Rogue, Cambridge etc.

The reason I am curious is I have to share my home theater room and my 2 channel area and I thought that I could concentrate my budget on the best amplification and hopefully Preamplifier with a pair of speakers worthy of the same money spent.
My RXA2 reciever has one preout for the main channel and if connected to a much higher quality integrated and/or component 2 channel system I would have the benefit of the streaming services and even the dac that comes with the Yamaha Without having to find a model that is another all-in-one unit. When using this 2 channel system I plan to mainly use it with my projects essentials 3 turntable with an Ortofon phone 2M blue cartridge. It's not high end but it's mine and it's what I have to work with right now. It's not high end but it's mine and it's what I have to work with right now. I know one benefit would be to have a better high end Photo stage so when choosing the integrated or component route that is going to be of great importance. One last thing that has occurred to me for example the Yamaha AS 1200 has the ability to attach 2 pairs of speakers and that opens up some interesting possibilities. My current home theatre system is very satisfactory it has a pair of paradigm Premier 700 f's for the left and rights and a 500 C centre channel a pair of elec debut 2.0 6.2 's for the surround a pair of old JBL studio monitors for the back channel and a pair of paradigm in ceiling speakers for my atmos channel. I'm very happy with it as it is for what it is. Now the possibility of having a 2 channel system integrated into the same taking advantage of the dac possibly the phono stage and the streaming capabilities of the Yamaha RXA2 I could potentially add 2 different pairs of 2 channel listening speakers to my system hooked up to The a and B outputs of the Yamaha AS 1200. I find this very intriguing. It would be a nice ability to do at AB comparison of different speakers that you rotate into the mix. Or to have a pair of Heresies or Cornwall's On one channel and maybe some tannoy bookshelves on another for a different experience just by turning a switch.

As far as a budget goes I would like to allow up to $4000 for the integrated amplifier or a combination of an amplifier and peeamp and 3 to $4000 for a pair of speakers hopefully with higher sensitivity because I tend to be someone who likes to listen to my music loud. Thoughts comments suggestions clarifications of my ignorance are all welcome and thank you for any input
Actually what you want to do is very simple and we've done it for a number of clients. You use use your main/better amplifier with your main speakers and connect the center/surround/sub speakers to the Yamaha AVR. Start by setting up your main amp/speakers for best location then setup the surround speaker's levels.

Yamaha or any other AVR have main speaker outputs

Yamaha_RX-A2_rear_2.jpg

to HT/Passthrough/Processor input of your main integrated or preamp, you'll have one those inputs in any of the amplifiers you mention. This way you can use AVR's output volume to watch movies or listen in surround mode without any complication. For example AUX1/HT input in case of the MF integrated.

4_M6si_manual_issue_1-2.jpg

david

Reactions: Hillbilly HiFi

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR

Hey, Hillbilly, the world is filled with compromises, right? But it doesn't have to be. I kinda' like your thought about starting over best and for several reasons. It's usually best to start with a clean slate, espeically if one's strategy has changed.

You'll find that many subscribe to a more is more strategy but I've yet to see that successfully accomplished in perhaps any performance-oriented industry. IOW, you're never gonna' see any Formula 1 cars towing U-Haul trailers around the track. Less truly is more even in this industry. So I'd suggest rather than focusing on scaling upward you give serious consideration first to scaling downward. Your room with thank you, your wallet, your wife, and yes, even your eyes and ears will thank you if/when you're able to pull it off.

I've got a rather simple 2.1-channel 2-component system (no preamp, no pre-pro) where the source and amps retail for a measly $4k. I've also got a pair of full-range speakers, a 15-inch subwoofer, a 120-inch screen, and overhead projector. 99% of my time is spent listening to music but if I wanna watch a concert / movie, I just turn on the projector and I'm good to go. And with very few if any real compromises on either side of the fence.

One thing right you could start doing right now, even as you strategize which way to go, is to start playing with your speaker and subwoofer positioning within the room and subwoofer tuning. If you're not aware, for every room / speaker combination there should exist an optimal as well as THE most optimal speaker placement position for a superior most musical bass with every speaker / room combination. Finding it can be extremely painstakingly slow but if you play around long enough you'll find it. And if you find that, you just might think you're well on your way. But if you try this, set any subwoofers aside and turn them off while first focusing your main speakers best locations. If you just so happen to find THE optimal location, you might even start to question the need for a subwoofer which can be as painstaking as working with your speakers or worse.

Once you're satisfied with the bass with main speakers positioning, you can start playwith with the subwoofer to align / tune it to work best with your main speakers. It's all free and if you succeed with the speakers and subwoofers it will be one of your very best sonic accomplishments and rewards. And as the front half of the room starts to fill with sound, you just might realize you don't need surround sound speakers and all that goes with it (think U-Haul trailer).

Hopefully, this video below will give an indication what can be accomplished with a single simple absolutely minimalist playback system where my focus has been on performance only. I'm not gonna' say it's easy as very few things worth having are. Then again, if it was easy, everybody would be doing it, right?

Still, I would suggest starting from scratch if you intend to scale down. You've got a nice little budget going and you've got items to potentially sell which hopefully would add to your war chest.

The trick, like the really smart fella' says, is to keep it simple as possible but no simpler.

Anyway, hope this helps give you a slightly different perspective,

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Stehno said:
The trick, like the really smart fella' says, is to keep it simple as possible but no simpler.

I like that and I do believe I will borrow that, if you do not mind.

Less is sometimes more.

In more ways than one.

Tom

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
I like that and I do believe I will borrow that, if you do not mind.

Less is sometimes more.

In more ways than one.

Tom
You're welcome to it, Tom. I stole it from that fart smeller errr ummm smart feller Albert Einstein. :)

Just bear in mind that Einstein went on to say making something simple was one of the most difficult things to do. Ain't that the truth?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing