Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I have a similar ornamental device in my office, spinning a tiny bottle of scotch; and there are a few high end turntables, from VPI and Clearaudio - the latter is reviewed in the current TAS issue

timztunz

Apr 23, 2018
Texas
Isn’t this company already defunct?

IanG-UK

Apr 11, 2011

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Reactions: MPS

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Reactions: howiebrou

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Any system that suspends/isolates the platter differently from the tone arm is inherently flawed.
Did you open this huge can of worms on purpose?

Do not most turntables except the really low cost ones have multiple points of isolation?

The plinth to feet to surface below is not even a given if tonearm is standing alone on it's own little tower.

Platter has own isolation from tonearm base typically. Is this NOT a good thing?

I do not have time for an argument, just asking for an example of what you meant as an ideal situation.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Did you open this huge can of worms on purpose?
Yes. If the tonearm/base and the platter are not suspended identically, i.e. coupled, there will be independent movement that will compromise the stable positioning and orientation of the stylus in the groove. A simple example of one proper way to assure this is not an issue is the Thorens floating sub-chassis which supports both the platter bearing and the tonearm board.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Yes. If the tonearm/base and the platter are not suspended identically, i.e. coupled, there will be independent movement that will compromise the stable positioning and orientation of the stylus in the groove. A simple example of one proper way to assure this is not an issue is the Thorens floating sub-chassis which supports both the platter bearing and the tonearm board.
Avid Acutus would be another example where the two move in unison...?

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
STST Motus II also uses a suspension-sub chassis for platter and arm, carefully designed to avoid excess movement.
The plinth (in this case) is strictly cosmetic...

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

Typically, the SME 20 and 30 turntables are another example. They suspend the arm and platter together so that their relationship is fixed. However, the motor is on a separate chassis which means the motor and platter could (in theory) move independently. SME must not think that is an issue.

In my case with the SME 30/12 shown below, I have added a separate outboard arm pod to the mix so that I can use an SME 3012R tonearm. In this situation, I realize full well that the platter could (in theory) move independently from the outboard arm and in that sense, it is "flawed". In practice, I have heard no issues with this configuration. The SME suspension is very well damped and not at all springy.

IMG_6344.JPG

Reactions: Barry2013

mulveling

Jul 6, 2017
Most audiophile turntables, even suspended ones, have rigid coupling between the spindle/bearing and armboard. You can see extra effort to make this connection as rigid as possible in Rega's upper tables, the new SOTA Nova VI, etc. An example of where this is NOT the case is the Clearaudio Ovation & Innovation lines, where the platter alone is magnetically suspended with some vertical compliance, though horizontally it's held rigidly in place - unlike the MagLev, which is just a wobble-inducing disaster (and no, the MagLev did not work with MC cartridges).

Actually now that I think of it, SOTA has been boasting of their new magnetic bearing - so maybe that has a similar issue as the Clearaudios now? Or it could be a hybrid where there is still some vertical contact of ball to a thrust plate, but at a highly reduced force.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Interesting discussion, I've looked up the tables mentioned so far - good stuff.

https://theaudiophileman.com/acutus-sp-avid-turntable-review/
Avid.jpg

https://wizard-highend.blogspot.com/2012/11/stst-motus-ii-dq-turntable.html

Reactions: howiebrou

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing