Internal chassis damping?

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020
I see a lot of folks discussing the use of damping materials on top of the chassis of various components, but, hardly do I see the use of damping material inside the chassis. Especially, where the chassis connects with another section of the chassis. For example, taking the cover off of an audio component and lining the chassis rails inside with damping material, such as 3M damping tape, and then attaching the cover with the damping material serving as a buffer between the two separate chassis covers. The 3M damping material is tested to reduce spurious vibration at certain frequencies.

I am contemplating going off the deep rail and doing this as a tweak to some of my components. Had anyone gone down this path before? What’s your experience?

Thank you.
Audioquest4life

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020
Thank you...I sort of had that thought as well. It’s probably a love hate thing to do anyway.
You may either love or hate the end result. It's very easy to overdamp.

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
You may either love or hate the end result. It's very easy to overdamp.
This is sage advice, whether chassis or internal components like capacitors. A bit like putting salt on your food, try a little first and see if you like the outcome.

Reactions: tima

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well, if this helps. My new SOTA tt motor sits in a cylindrical pod, the bottom half empty. Rings somewhat as it comes, totally undamped.

Apply IsoDamp to 100% of interior pod wall, sound way too dead. Trial and error, ABA trials, led to 25% coverage as ideal.

I'm considering running 0.25" thick IsoDamp with jeweller's steel bench blocks as external top chassis dampers. This experience has taught me to start off conservatively as opposed to going straight to full coverage of tops of components.

Reactions: audioquest4life

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020
Well, if this helps. My new SOTA tt motor sits in a cylindrical pod, the bottom half empty. Rings somewhat as it comes, totally undamped.

Apply IsoDamp to 100% of interior pod wall, sound way too dead. Trial and error, ABA trials, led to 25% coverage as ideal.

I'm considering running 0.25" thick IsoDamp with jeweller's steel bench blocks as external top chassis dampers. This experience has taught me to start off conservatively as opposed to going straight to full coverage of tops of components.
I agree that moderation for tweaks such as this is the key to success. Sometimes, ignorance is bliss. My first all Pioneer system I had when I was a teen sounded awesome to me. I did not care about micro levels of wow and flutter, vibrations, or whatever, just the fact that the Pioneers looked cool and sounded great to me. I think as we mature in this hobby and age, and understand the intricate tuning tricks of audio, we sort of develop OCD complex, similar to our desire to mod a perfectly new sports car or old muscle car to be what we want it to be for our individual satisfaction. I guess thats human nature.

Site7000

Jul 16, 2011
Does anyone have a theory about how overdamping can negatively affect passive components (i.e. those that don't feed vibrations to a cartridge or speaker driver)? I can understand how underdamping might have an effect on passive components, but how could completely eliminating vibrations in passive components be detrimental? BTW, I'm not challenging what people are hearing, just wondering if we have a clue about what's going on.

Testy Troll

Dec 29, 2015
I have never been able to overdamp a chassis.
Also load 25-50 lbs of lead and brass on top.

See this discussion:

Ultrafast69

VIP/Donor
Aug 27, 2018
Seattle, WA
www.audio-ultra.com
I like the spirit of thinking but moderation for sure if you get into this - I would not even attempt this unless you spoke to the manufacturer. As an option, try damping blocks on top of the component (seems to balance better at least in theory) with isolation footers or even better yet platforms under the component if you do not already have similar. HRS makes some nice blocks and of course platforms as do several others.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I'm looking at a Covid Cottage Corporation extreme VFM alternative to HRS Damping Plates.
4" x 4" x 0.25" thick pieces IsoDamp on tops of chassis', these pieces mass loaded w 3lb steel bench blocks.
After my experiments with IsoDamp'ing interior of tt motor pod, I'm gonna go very conservative to start, approx 30% of chassis surface area.
Can always increase coverage from there.

Ultrafast69

VIP/Donor
Aug 27, 2018
Seattle, WA
www.audio-ultra.com
I'm looking at a Covid Cottage Corporation extreme VFM alternative to HRS Damping Plates.
4" x 4" x 0.25" thick pieces IsoDamp on tops of chassis', these pieces mass loaded w 3lb steel bench blocks.
After my experiments with IsoDamp'ing interior of tt motor pod, I'm gonna go very conservative to start, approx 30% of chassis surface area.
Can always increase coverage from there.
>>> Covid???? Cottage Corporation extreme VFM alternative

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well, Covid has forced me to downscale a few more major purchases I would have made next year, incl possible new pricey spkrs and server. If I can find a more manageable priced alternative to HRS Damping Plates with this IsoDamp/steel bench blocks idea, that will be consistent with more sober approach to spending.

DSkip

Industry Expert
Aug 26, 2013
Arlington, TX
www.audiothesis.com
Does anyone have a theory about how overdamping can negatively affect passive components (i.e. those that don't feed vibrations to a cartridge or speaker driver)? I can understand how underdamping might have an effect on passive components, but how could completely eliminating vibrations in passive components be detrimental? BTW, I'm not challenging what people are hearing, just wondering if we have a clue about what's going on.
I have no theory but I do know what it does - it eliminates the atmosphere a system is capable of. Even a small amount of damping will do this but it might be minor enough to not be perceptible in some cases.

I believe in mechanical grounding as the solution but this is a path we have gone down a handful of times already on the forum.

Ultrafast69

VIP/Donor
Aug 27, 2018
Seattle, WA
www.audio-ultra.com
Well, Covid has forced me to downscale a few more major purchases I would have made next year, incl possible new pricey spkrs and server. If I can find a more manageable priced alternative to HRS Damping Plates with this IsoDamp/steel bench blocks idea, that will be consistent with more sober approach to spending.
Got it, thanks for the clarity!

No doubt, Covid really has changed things a lot, I hope the bench blocks work as you intend!

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
I have no theory but I do know what it does - it eliminates the atmosphere a system is capable of. Even a small amount of damping will do this but it might be minor enough to not be perceptible in some cases.

I believe in mechanical grounding as the solution but this is a path we have gone down a handful of times already on the forum.
I don't claim to know but I will speculate that:

1) There is no such thing as overdamping.

2) When an object or sector is thoroughly / sufficiently damped (think "overdamping") resonant energy is no longer able to be released there but instead will travel to other easily excitable objects / sectors not damped / poorly damped and release its energy there.

To the best of my knowledge, mechanical and perhaps all energy share 2 primary behaviors. First and foremost is for energy to travel away from its point source (think component or speaker internals) and secondarily when its ability to travel ceases or is restricted, the energy will release itsself fully at the next most easily excitable objects (less damped) within its trapped confines.

That said, I suspect the concept of "overdamping" rears its ugly head when vibration mgmt remedies / solutions are incomplete which is perhaps in every case. Especially for those consciously and subconciously adhering to the mechanical grounding / resonant energy transfer method. Which IMO essentially includes everybody to one good degree or another whether they realize it or not.

So for those who fall short of implementing a thoroughly sufficient and superior vibration mgmt system beginning to end, then I suppose it seems the concept of overdamping is very real - to those types anyway. But it's not the overdamping that causes the performance degradation. Rather it's the lack of understanding and lack of following or carrying through on a given a strategy to ensure its completeness.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Passive or active if there is material covering a component it can cause thermal issues. Higher temperature leads to things like reduced lifetime, higher leakage, greater drift in component parameters, higher noise, etc. Depending upon the material and connection it may act as a shield or antenna for coupled (radiated) noise.

FWIWFM - Don

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
Passive or active if there is material covering a component it can cause thermal issues. Higher temperature leads to things like reduced lifetime, higher leakage, greater drift in component parameters, higher noise, etc. Depending upon the material and connection it may act as a shield or antenna for coupled (radiated) noise.

FWIWFM - Don
Absolutely, Don. I was speaking of damping in a more generic sense without considering various compounds used for damping that could smother components that require circulation and/or cooling. Actually, I've never used any compounds nor have I ever attempted to damp any internal components.

Besides, damping alone does not bring relief, except for perhaps little bits here or there in either direction. Though I remain deeply committed to the damping process as it has its place and is very much a requirement in the bigger scheme of things. I just don't focus any attention on the internals directly.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Use the fo.Q damping tape on big caps, disc transport mechanism and door, cable connectors, and other places inside amp and player chassis with good results. Prefer it over all other damping sheet type materials. This is a compliment to not a substitute for isolation (Townshend Seismic Sink; Sound Mechanics platform; Marigo Mystery Feet) and tuning (ASI Top Line Feet; Yamamoto ebony cones/cups) devices. All work well together.

Musicman

May 30, 2021
New Mexico
Use the fo.Q damping tape on big caps, disc transport mechanism and door, cable connectors, and other places inside amp and player chassis with good results. Prefer it over all other damping sheet type materials. This is a compliment to not a substitute for isolation (Townshend Seismic Sink; Sound Mechanics platform; Marigo Mystery Feet) and tuning (ASI Top Line Feet; Yamamoto ebony cones/cups) devices. All work well together.
I agree with the fo.Q damping tape especially the TA-102 tape. Use it in steps as it is very powerful and can overdamp a component to the state of lifelessness. I also use the Golden Sound Acoustic Discs for chassis/component vibration control to very good effect.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing