Interview with Roger Sanders

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Wow! This will have digital lovers licking their chops.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Wow! This will have digital lovers licking their chops.

Unfortunately he's so obviously opinionated about so many things that it doesn't mean much more to me than anyone else's opinion.

Barry Diament's often stated opinion seems much more persuasive (and much less judgemental)

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
and really: adults can't hear 20 kHz? I could hear 20 kHz (admittedly amplified 20 dB) when I was 45, and I doubt I'm that unusual.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Rogerisms:

"...tube equipment is inferior to solid state equipment and simply does not perform as well. Please read my "Tubes vs. Transistors" white paper for details. I refuse to compromise on performance, so I only manufacture solid state equipment today"

"Vinyl is a very flawed recording medium. I have produced many vinyl LPs for customers back when that was all that was available. I refuse to compromise performance so have no use for vinyl today. All the recordings I make now are stored on digital media because it can produce a perfect copy of my recordings while no analog system can."

"Since digital recordings are perfect, they sound absolutely identical to the LP. Therefore I never actually play my LPs anymore. I listen to the digital copy instead. This also saves my LPs from wear and tear (each time you play an LP, you damage it). I keep my LPs in my museum rather than playing them."

"I have no problem with audiophiles who enjoy old vinyl recordings. That's great. But PLEASE don't try to tell me that vinyl recordings are better than digital ones. That is simply not true."

yeah, ill be buying a set of his speakers real soon:rolleyes:

Actually it doesn't deter me I just think its a mistake for mfr to make unequivocal statements as complete fact when some of your current or future customers might find it off putting and influence their decision to buy someone else's product.

jdandy2

Jun 13, 2012
North Florida
Rob.......After reading the Rogerisms you posted I found this other statement from the interview rather interesting.

"Then there are the audiophiles who are "audiophools." These are the highly opinionated, close-minded audiophiles who view sound more like religion. They take extreme stands on things like tubes or vinyl and will defend their opinion that these devices are the best and everything else is awful. They consider anybody who doesn't see it their way as an idiot."

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
This was more like a Ralph Nader interview. When he wasn't speaking as the self-appointed audiophile Chief of Police, he's right about almost everything. Also, Krell uses regulated PSUs.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
To bad Roger shot himself in the foot. It is not a good idea to offend your potential customer base by calling them audiophools.
That said I still think he makes a great speaker at reasonable price. Especially when paired with tubes and vinyl.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Yeah, wow.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I think hubris is the key word.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
here is a statement form the interview :

49) Any last thoughts for our readers?

Do not believe anything you hear in the audiophile world. It is all false.

Does that include him as well :D

Worldcat

May 30, 2012
I think everyone has made some good points about the article. I like his systems too and think they are reasonably price which i think high-end needs more of. Audio will always be subjective to one's hearing. I don't really care about measurements myself, i go by what i hear, if it sounds like live music or just sounds good; hey i am all for it! That is why i have a system. This is a hobby and if you love your pioneer lr22's hey more power to you, its about enjoyment not right and wrong of how things sound sound.
Is perception reality?:eek:

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
From the interview:

"Room acoustics are critically important. They are the second most important factor in your audio system (the first is your loudspeakers).

This topic urgently needs to be addressed by all audiophiles, because no matter how good your loudspeakers are, they will interact with your room, which will degrade the sound. This topic is so important that I have written a White Paper on it. Please refer to the Technical White Papers page on my website and read the topic called "Acoustics." It will explain room issues and give practical advice on how to deal with them."

This is absolutely correct. I did not realize how essential room treatment was until I heard it in my own listening room. Here is my email to Paul at Goodwin's High End that ASC has put up on their website:

http://www.acousticsciences.com/goodwins-hi-end-customers-review

At the time I had only two tube traps and 11 sound panels, now I have six tube traps (three stacks of two) on the wall behind my speakers, and the effect is even more pronounced. I also exchanged the Wadia 12 DAC for a Berkeley Alpha DAC 2.

I am now of the opinion that any attempts to optimize your system without paying attention to room acoustics is a waste of money and time. And what's the point of hi-rez if your acoustics are sub-optimal?

Complaints about harsh string sound? Instead of hi-rez, try a great DAC (e.g., a Berkeley DAC) on 16/44 digital and room treatment instead. You won't believe the life-like silky inner sheen on great recordings of orchestral strings that is possible under those circumstances.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I beg forgiveness if everyone knew this except me, BUT, the name "Sanders" piqued my interest so I had to look it up.

Roger Sanders is not related to Gayle Martin Sanders who co-founded Martin-Logan, now owned by ShoreView Industries.

Roger Sanders' interview was very interesting to say the least.

Last edited:

mep

Apr 20, 2010
It appears that Roger Sanders has many white papers that will impart wisdom to all that read them.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing