Intriguing inquiry, are floor-stand speakers always better than active speakers?

Preston8452

Jan 5, 2022
Hi guys,

Just a general wondering though, nowadays I've seen a lot of new active speakers, and truth to be told, I find them quite professional indeed, when I go into an audio shop and ask some advice, some might even encourage to purchase the bookshelf speakers, as they're more cost-effective and space-saving hahah.

All that asides, regarding the sound quality matter, it ain't bad at all, but I'm not sure if it's my living room just not that big or some technical matters, the sound experience is actually vivid, but yeah I also think when you put the extra circuit inside the speaker for amplifying use, it'd certainly affect the original performance more or less. Especially under this digital streaming era, every part seems to be specifically separated, so it can perform to its fullest, and lessen the interference between each device.

Anyways, let me know what you think, I'd be grateful, or maybe share you existing setup with us!

Best,

MTB Vince

May 11, 2019
Dundas, ON Canada
Well designed active loudspeakers come in floor standing versions too, they are just a little less common. I'm very much a fan of great active loudspeakers, though not so much the current lot of "everything-but-the-kitchen-sink" consumer actives. After having owned several '90s Meridian actives which used exclusively digital inputs and DSP based electronic crossovers, I've come to the conclusion that I like my active speakers with analog electronic crossovers and class AB amplification. Implemented well, I see no significant downside to having the electronic crossover and amplification onboard the loudspeaker.

IMG_0047.JPG
IMG_0236.JPG
My dual duty music and cinema big rig uses five identical ATC SCM20 ASL Pro active studio monitors underpinned by a quartet of Seaton Submersive HP active subs. This system features completely separate stereo and multi-channel signal chains which share only the front stereo pair of ATCs and the subwoofer array.

Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at 8.57.16 PM.png
IMG_0292.JPG
The living room set-up uses a pair of of Meridian's late '80s flagship 3-way active M100s (which look better with the grills on :p).

Preston8452

Jan 5, 2022
Well designed active loudspeakers come in floor standing versions too, they are just a little less common. I'm very much a fan of great active loudspeakers, though not so much the current lot of "everything-but-the-kitchen-sink" consumer actives. After having owned several '90s Meridian actives which used exclusively digital inputs and DSP based electronic crossovers, I've come to the conclusion that I like my active speakers with analog electronic crossovers and class AB amplification. Implemented well, I see no significant downside to having the electronic crossover and amplification onboard the loudspeaker.

View attachment 90175
View attachment 90176
My dual duty music and cinema big rig uses five identical ATC SCM20 ASL Pro active studio monitors underpinned by a quartet of Seaton Submersive HP active subs. This system features completely separate stereo and multi-channel signal chains which share only the front stereo pair of ATCs and the subwoofer array.

View attachment 90177
View attachment 90178
The living room set-up uses a pair of of Meridian's late '80s flagship 3-way active M100s (which look better with the grills on :p).
Geez, those setups look quite fascinating haha, I currently only have a Silent Angel Rhein Z1 as a Roon Core, and Munich M1T as a Roon Ready streamer, then to PS Audio DAC, then to KEP active speakers, which the sound quality ain't bad at all lol.

MTB Vince

May 11, 2019
Dundas, ON Canada
I'm a physical media guy exclusively when it comes to listening to music for pleasure. Sure I have a big Itunes library of lossless ripped CDs but that is for background music and teaching Spinning classes. You can call me old school, a luddite, or what have you, but I want to own a physical copy of the media I like and I love the ritual of putting on a CD or an LP and just listening.

Despite having subscriptions to Netflix, PrimeTV, Crave, Disney+, Paramount TV, and Apple TV- I also feel much the same way about great TV and movies. So where possible I buy the highest resolution physical media format of my favorite movies and TV shows. Surprise, surprise... They look and sound WAY better on Blu Ray or 4k discs than they ever do streamed.

Reactions: Preston8452

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing