iOS 13

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I upgraded yesterday and I must say that it the most robust version I have seen to date

Email has really changed and will take a little getting used to.
The new way of typing is slick
All of the little tutorials are worth watching.
Dark mode is worth using
Photo management is a big upgrade
Definitely worth doing the upgrade IMO

Reactions: Bodhi

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I thought it was a little buggy, specially the email. 13.1 should be coming soon, on the 24th.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Speaking of Dark Mode ... It's the best feature since they invented volume remote control.
...And voice activation function/operation and search.

It should be everywhere; mail, wide web world, ...all that jazz.

Reactions: Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I’m waiting for an OS that lets me play YouTube in the background, even of other programs. I find it absolutely teeth grinding infuriating that I can’t. I pay for Youtube premium so it’s not like I miss ads. It makes me feel like my phone is just garbage because the most simple task of leaving audio laying doesn’t work.

You also can’t silence apps independently of the phone... equally as freaking stupid not to have the option in the app menus. There should be much more clear and evident switches for each permission.

I’m interested in 13.1 because there are a few good updates, but it’s not perfect. I wish I could tell them what to do...

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I got my 11 Pro Max last Friday and I'm not impressed. First surprise I couldn't activate it with High Sierra has to be Mojave which for me is still buggy and none of my important business software work with it, no do our scanners or printers at this point, so Apple left their business users out in the cold, again! I don't get all the fuss they made about the camera either, it's gimmicky and boring, fine if you don't your way around the camera but nothing new there. The only thing I like about it is the battery life which for the first time it's adequate enough but the price is a heavier phone.

david

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Why are you activating your iPhone with your Mac? It hasn't been necessary for at least 5 or 6 generations... I know because I truly hated being forced to use a computer to activate a phone, and I honestly don't remember the last time I had to do that...
I have all my stuff on iCloud. Prior to moving to the new phone, I made sure I had everything backed up, fired up the new phone, inserted the chip, and in 15 minutes flat I was using my new phone, with all my contacts, messages, emails, etc. Larger files like photos and apps were (slowly) being downloaded in the background, but I could use the phone just fine, no need to get anywhere near a computer, Mac or otherwise.

Edit: I know there are "trust" issues in using cloud services, but I'd much rather trust my data to Apple than Google. Though I do use Gmail, so I have zero privacy on that front anyway...

Reactions: ddk

Steve Williams

I got my 11 Pro Max last Friday and I'm not impressed. First surprise I couldn't activate it with High Sierra has to be Mojave which for me is still buggy and none of my important business software work with it, no do our scanners or printers at this point, so Apple left their business users out in the cold, again! I don't get all the fuss they made about the camera either, it's gimmicky and boring, fine if you don't your way around the camera but nothing new there. The only thing I like about it is the battery life which for the first time it's adequate enough but the price is a heavier phone.

david
I'm waiting until next year to buy.

A totally different camera style that is 5G compatible

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
The best part of IOS 13 is that they added swipe to the keyboard. I used to have that with an alternative keyboard app. Now it is built into the base keyboard.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Why are you activating your iPhone with your Mac? It hasn't been necessary for at least 5 or 6 generations... I know because I truly hated being forced to use a computer to activate a phone, and I honestly don't remember the last time I had to do that...
I have all my stuff on iCloud. Prior to moving to the new phone, I made sure I had everything backed up, fired up the new phone, inserted the chip, and in 15 minutes flat I was using my new phone, with all my contacts, messages, emails, etc. Larger files like photos and apps were (slowly) being downloaded in the background, but I could use the phone just fine, no need to get anywhere near a computer, Mac or otherwise.

Edit: I know there are "trust" issues in using cloud services, but I'd much rather trust my data to Apple than Google. Though I do use Gmail, so I have zero privacy on that front anyway...
I just have an aversion to cloud anything Alex, it's just me. I like my information, photos, etc., in my own hands. Still, no justification for Apple to take that option away when you can use a Windows iTune without updates.

david

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I'm waiting until next year to buy.

A totally different camera style that is 5G compatible

I am waiting, too. But Tinka got the new 11 Pro phone the day it came out, and she likes the new camera arrangement.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I just have an aversion to cloud anything Alex, it's just me. I like my information, photos, etc., in my own hands. Still, no justification for Apple to take that option away when you can use a Windows iTune without updates.

david

Agree there, there was no need to limit the unlock to the new MacOS.
You're not alone being "cloud averse", and I don't blame you, but again, I use it, and it is very handy for home and work stuff as well.

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Thanks for the feedback Steve. IOS13 hasn't been rolled out yet Down Under...apparently the messenger pigeon took a wrong turn around the Horn of Africa, and is currently somewhere off Argentina!

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
What is "Swipe to the Keyboard"?

When you are typing something you don't have to lift your finger off the keyboard. You can just swipe from letter to letter. It does a really good job figuring out the word.

Reactions: NorthStar

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing