Is a S/PDIF coax cable longer than 1m better?

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
See my white-paper:

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue14/spdif.htm

We can argue til the cows come home about the signal risetime and whether this is really necessary, but I have verified it using a 400psec risetime device when doing jitter measurements. (Most S/PDIF outputs are much slower than the gear I design, more like 4nsec) I either have to connect the device directly to the scope or through 1.5m cable in order to avoid adding more jitter. It shows up in the plots and the numbers.

Attached is one independent A/B test, albeit not controlled, that confirms my claims that 1.5m is better than 1m or 0.5m length.

Attachments

• UHF_magazine24-26.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 11

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
I had been happy with 1.5 m Zenwave D4 digital cable which seems to have more detail than 1m digital cable.

But 1.5m one is shielded and 1m cable is unshilded.

I am not sure whether shielding also contribute more details or not.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Unshielded digital cable? How do they get the 75 ohms impedance????

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014

IDK, there's a formula for characteristic impedance somewhere, eh?

All I can say is my S/PDIF cable has been preferred over every single cable it's EVER been compared to, and is a far superior design vs a coax. The proof is in the demo and I'm more than happy to have anyone who doesn't own a cable business (current or previously) to try it out, just let me know via PM here or dave@zenwaveaudio.com.

BTW I do agree with making the S/PDIF cable 1.5m + and I don't offer shorter cables anymore. I'm in the process of building another more up-to-date website...

Reactions: thomask

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
If it's that good, I can do jitter measurements on it here and provide those to you.

I used to make a twinaxial coax cable for S/PDIF myself, but replaced it with an aerospace grade coax.

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015

My spdif is unshielded and non-coaxial, being arranged with what Townshend now market as fractal geometry (basically twisted pair with different size conductors). You need to crunch some maths to arrive at a theoretical 75ohm, using conductor sizes and spacing / dielectric constant and thickness / twist spacing and the calculated outcome was well within the spdif spec’s tolerance parameters. That said, there’s a fair chance that the equipment jacks and internal wiring won’t be 75 ohm compliant.

The sonic outcome was that it beat the $3700 reference cable owned by Terry London and he bought mine instead.

In the context of this review, I would also like to share another amazing find regarding a digital cable. My reference cable for over five years was the amazing Stealth Audio Sextet that retails for $3,700. During the review process for the Zdac, I also auditioned the new Panatela digital cable, which retails for $475, from Sablon Cables. The designer/owner Mark Coles has produced the finest-sounding digital cable that I have ever reviewed for its remarkable price. The Panatela cable replaced the Stealth Sextet to become my new reference and was used to review the Zdac.

Reactions: CKKeung and thomask

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
Every day is a school day they say, and that was certainly the case for me quite recently when a customer pointed out that the Atlas BNC plugs I had been using for several years looked like 50ohm instead of the 75ohm they were marketed as.

So I decided to make lemonade from my remaining stock of these lemons by pressing out the insulation and mechanically modifying it to 75ohm spec. I also took the opportunity to cut out the monkey metal contact pin and drilled out the wire holder so that the wire itself can be pulled out to replace it and penetrate the chassis jack directly without any impedance discontinuities or inferior materials/solder in the signal path. There was a pretty pleasing delta from these changes.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Every day is a school day they say, and that was certainly the case for me quite recently when a customer pointed out that the Atlas BNC plugs I had been using for several years looked like 50ohm instead of the 75ohm they were marketed as.

So I decided to make lemonade from my remaining stock of these lemons by pressing out the insulation and mechanically modifying it to 75ohm spec. I also took the opportunity to cut out the monkey metal contact pin and drilled out the wire holder so that the wire itself can be pulled out to replace it and penetrate the chassis jack directly without any impedance discontinuities or inferior materials/solder in the signal path. There was a pretty pleasing delta from these changes.

Actually, not all 75 ohm BNC's have no insulator in the barrel. Some do and it's usually smaller than the 50 ohm version.

Reactions: Laowei

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
My spdif is unshielded and non-coaxial, being arranged with what Townshend now market as fractal geometry (basically twisted pair with different size conductors). You need to crunch some maths to arrive at a theoretical 75ohm, using conductor sizes and spacing / dielectric constant and thickness / twist spacing and the calculated outcome was well within the spdif spec’s tolerance parameters. That said, there’s a fair chance that the equipment jacks and internal wiring won’t be 75 ohm compliant.

Calculated and actual are sometimes different things. I could evaluate this cable on my jitter measurement system. If It's that good, it should not add any visible jitter. My aerospace quality coax doesn't:

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=154425.0

BTW, all of my products have 75 ohm silver coax inside and 75 ohm BNC on the panel. This is the kind of signal you get with that:
waveform.jpg

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
Thanks Steve but I’m not sure that there is any upside in my sending you a cable to measure. It sounds excellent as things stand and that is all that really matters.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Oh this plug came with a full length insulator Steve so it was pretty clear that it was really 50ohm rather than 75.

Neutrik makes a really good 75 ohm BNC plug.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Thanks Steve but I’m not sure that there is any upside in my sending you a cable to measure. It sounds excellent as things stand and that is all that really matters.

My older twinaxial S/PDIF cable sounded really good too, but not as good as my current coax. The measurements taught me that having silver for both center conductor and shield is important for SQ, but it does not show up in the measurements. Again, the measurements are woefully inadequate to fully characterize what we are hearing.:(

BTW, do you audibly determine the directionality of your cables and then mark them?

Do you have a theory as to what is going on there?

Reactions: thomask

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing