Is Low Power FM a Rebirth of FM Radio,New DaySequerra

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Here in Northern Nevada there is now a Low Power FM Community backed FM station that is teamed up with UNR which also operates 2 very good FM stations.
Now with these quality FM stations that play classical,jazz, and everything else I decided to up my FM tuner collection.
A long with my McIntosh MR78 I have added a DaySequerra FM Reference.
The DaySequerra is amazingly neutral and the clarity, Power and SQ is better than the warmer MR78 which I like both.
I need to send the FM Reference back to the factory at some point to get the tube replaced.
Update
I can’t tell you how beautiful this tuner sounds...FM is now magical in my house....Wow.
I hope Low Power FM expands and is here to stay. I can’t believe how good a 100 watts of power can sound.
Look at your local FM stations and I’d be interested if any members have FM-LP stations near them and how they sound.

But right now i’m enjoying my new tuner.KWNK-FM-LP Reno, Nevada
https://kwnkradio.org/home/ 120E2DE3-3354-4CC6-BF9C-1245D043612C.jpeg C8603249-3766-41C3-AECB-A00BB6795EA8.jpeg B57AB0FA-983C-49E2-BDD6-8C33ADC3F9B3.png

Last edited:

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
That is good news.
Here in the UK we still have very good FM radio services from the BBC and a commercial station Classic FM which both have very good programming and knowledgeable presenters.
I have a Magnum Dynalab 109 allied with a good outdoor aerial on the roof which has been a great buy. Obviously FM depends a lot on where you live but seems to be something of an underrated gem with a good tuner.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Last edited:
Reactions: NorthStar

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Congratulations Roger! Certainly a reputable tuner and would love to hear one some day

Reactions: RogerD

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
My Accuphase has one more set of inputs for the Marantz 10B when my friend is ready to part with it.
I’m on the fence now about purchasing a nuvistor front end tuner. A Scott,Fisher and HK all made them. I can add a switch and run 5 tuners and more than 4 RTR’s with my C200.

Information on the David Day Sequerra Tuners complied by Mike Burney.

https://sites.google.com/site/mpbarneytuners/day-sequerratuners

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Out of curiosity I just checked HifiShark Day Sequerra and there is a 110 volt 25th Anniversary model for sale on Ebay USA in seemingly very good condition with a current bid of $699.
Although I have not had the pleasure of hearing a Day I am happy to stay with my Magnum Dynalab 109, but the one referred to above looks interesting for those in the USA

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Out of curiosity I just checked HifiShark Day Sequerra and there is a 110 volt 25th Anniversary model for sale on Ebay USA in seemingly very good condition with a current bid of $699.
Although I have not had the pleasure of hearing a Day I am happy to stay with my Magnum Dynalab 109, but the one referred to above looks interesting for those in the USA

I too purchased mine on eBay for 1200 and a tube for 250.
David Day comes in on Saturdays and personally performs the upgrade...I will get it done and the sooner the better...these giants of audio are all getting older and once gone...never to be repeated again.

Last edited:

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Thanks Roger.
Very interesting. Am I right in understanding from your post that David Day is still active and able to service his tuners?
My curiosity contnued and I see that there is a fifty year old restored Marantz 10B in very good condition for sale on Audiomarkt at 2100 euros

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Hi Barry,
Yes David is still active. I am waiting to hear from him on the history of my unit. I believe the unit was upgraded at some point,maybe the signature upgrade. I think i’ll Probably go for the mod that replaces the CRT as they are like unobtainium. I’ll check to see what opamps are used. This unit sounds exceptionally good. So maybe the delete tube upgrade is all I need.

The 10B price sounds fair...depending who did the restoration and how complete it was. The CRT,Transformer, and optocouplers are the most important as far as my research goes.
It seems prices have come down a bit. As HD FM gathers steam. I now look for the best designed tuners...the Daysequerra is the best I have heard. I had two friends that had Marantz systems. I couldn’t obtain the first set. I hope to purchase this other set soon. I have always wanted a 10B since high school....good luck and do your research.

I love the sound of FM. Multi dimensional soundstage that my brother perceives in the cheap seats...30 ft back....I’ll take it.

Btw i’m Using a spare NBS Signature PC and Gotham Quad IC cables. Sounds better than it should.
48342C00-2A08-4643-9788-EB469658358D.jpeg 57D094CB-7D5C-4966-91D9-46C02936F862.jpeg

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Fascinating, I love FM stereo radio...Classical (live sometimes, concerts) and Jazz/Blues.
And French stations...World and Avant-garde/New Age music.

I don't mind occasionally the best French songwriters and singers.
There's something special about radio perception ... diffusion (French) ... transmission ... reception.
It's like being @ the right place @ the right time in the right space, right on Q, tuning in.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Here in Northern Nevada there is now a Low Power FM Community backed FM station that is teamed up with UNR which also operates 2 very good FM stations.
Now with these quality FM stations that play classical,jazz, and everything else I decided to up my FM tuner collection.
A long with my McIntosh MR78 I have added a DaySequerra FM Reference.
The DaySequerra is amazingly neutral and the clarity, Power and SQ is better than the warmer MR78 which I like both.
I need to send the FM Reference back to the factory at some point to get the tube replaced.
Update
I can’t tell you how beautiful this tuner sounds...FM is now magical in my house....Wow.
I hope Low Power FM expands and is here to stay. I can’t believe how good a 100 watts of power can sound.
Look at your local FM stations and I’d be interested if any members have FM-LP stations near them and how they sound.

But right now i’m enjoying my new tuner.KWNK-FM-LP Reno, Nevada
https://kwnkradio.org/home/ View attachment 56979 View attachment 56989 View attachment 56990
What are you doing for an antenna?
I had a large long range channel master and rotor and unfortunately in a moments poor decision got rid of it.
I love FM and will set up another antenna system in the near future.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
What are you doing for an antenna?
I had a large long range channel master and rotor and unfortunately in a moments poor decision got rid of it.
I love FM and will set up another antenna system in the near future.

I’m using a Terk tower and edge indoor antennas right now and surprisingly they do well. Probably my location just works out well.
I do want to try this soon.
Stellar Labs 30-2435 Outdoor Omnidirectional FM Antenna

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Fascinating, I love FM stereo radio...Classical (live sometimes, concerts) and Jazz/Blues.
And French stations...World and Avant-garde/New Age music.

I don't mind occasionally the best French songwriters and singers.
There's something special about radio perception ... diffusion (French) ... transmission ... reception.
It's like being @ the right place @ the right time in the right space, right on Q, tuning in.
We like the same imagine that...Bob

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Any WBF members own a Day Sequerra tuner? The multi dimensional soundstage that this tuner can produce in stereo pilot blows my mind...just wondering.

cuntigh

Dec 20, 2014
FRANCE
I had a Day Sequerra Ref a few years ago. It is a great tuner indeed. The build quality is from another world. It sounds fantastic.
I also had a Naim Nat01 in the same time.
Sold the Sequerra for another project and kept the Naim. If you have a very good antenna and good signal the Naim is different but very close. You can prefer one or another.
The Sequerra makes everything a bit better but the Naim is a bit more « human ». It speaks to your heart. Voices are so natural ! Less bass but o so beautiful. Medium is to die for.
The Sequerra had been revised 2 or 3 years before I bought it. Probably the Naim would have benefited a little travel to Naim’s factory also. I sold it also (bad mistake), and had some good tuners for a few years, but came back to another Nat01. Won’t sell it again.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Well I received information from David Day himself and he set me straight about everything. Here is a copy of his message delivered to me just now. Given what this tuner can do bone stock. I have to do the upgrade....like audio money in the bank as far as I'm concerned and this is WBF after all.

Hello Roger,

This unit is and FM Reference that was manufactured in Schaumburg, IL. It is as shipped in maybe 1989 and is unmodified.

My wife does the physical work on these units and we charge $75/hour for her labor. She estimates that if nothing else is wrong with the unit, removing the front panel, replacing the CRT and re-installing the front panel is a 5.5 hour job.

My alignment costs $475.

I’m not sure what LM301 devices you are looking to upgrade; there are no such devices in the audio path.

If you listen to any FM station that transmits HD Radio, you are not getting anywhere near the RF or audio performance possible with all the HD Radio self noise that effects analog performance of your tuner with even 1 or 2 HD Radio stations on the air in your market. You can read more about that here http://daysequerra.com/ViewProduct.aspx?CurPage=FM%20Reference&sName=FM+Analog+Radio.

Sandy can quote you our FMR 25 upgrade that was just awarded Stereophile 2019 Class A Recommended Components. Along with the upgrade that solves the HD Radio noise problem, you also get a complete alignment and an LCD display so you’ll never need another CRT. So the display will virtually last forever and you’ll have better than new performance even on HD Radio stations.

Thanks.

David V. Day | President

Last edited:

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Hi Barry,
Yes David is still active. I am waiting to hear from him on the history of my unit. I believe the unit was upgraded at some point,maybe the signature upgrade. I think i’ll Probably go for the mod that replaces the CRT as they are like unobtainium. I’ll check to see what opamps are used. This unit sounds exceptionally good. So maybe the delete tube upgrade is all I need.

The 10B price sounds fair...depending who did the restoration and how complete it was. The CRT,Transformer, and optocouplers are the most important as far as my research goes.
It seems prices have come down a bit. As HD FM gathers steam. I now look for the best designed tuners...the Daysequerra is the best I have heard. I had two friends that had Marantz systems. I couldn’t obtain the first set. I hope to purchase this other set soon. I have always wanted a 10B since high school....good luck and do your research.

I love the sound of FM. Multi dimensional soundstage that my brother perceives in the cheap seats...30 ft back....I’ll take it.

Btw i’m Using a spare NBS Signature PC and Gotham Quad IC cables. Sounds better than it should.
View attachment 56996 View attachment 57001

Hi Roger
Thanks for the info.
The Marantz 10B for sale on Audiomarkrt has been restored by the seller and a Giacomo Pruzzo which is not a name I know but presumably has a good reputation for him to be cited in the ad.
Attached are photos of my Magnum Dynalab 109 and my external aerial. I am very happy with their performance. A really good sound quality. I use an Entreq Apollo Infinity balanced i/c to the Vitus 025 SIA amp and the tuner is usually on for most of the day. I really don't know whether a 10B or a Day Sequerra would sound better notwithstanding being a bit intrigued by them.
The fact that David Day is still around would incline me to a Day Sequerra if I were to change. Service availability is reassuring.
All very intriguing and thank you also for posting the DS link which I found very helpful.
Hi Barry,

Hi Barry,

Hi Barry,

Thanks Roger.
The Marantz 10B for sale on Audiomarkt has been restored by the seller and a Giacomo Pruzzo which is not a name I know but presumably has a good reputation for him to be cited in the advert.
As I mentioned earlier I have a Magnum Dynalab 109 tuner and a Ron Smith Galaxie 17 aerial, photos of which are attached. The signal strength I get is pretty well the maximum available from BBC Radio 3 and Classic FM which are the two stations I listen to most. I use an Entreq Apollo Infinity balanced i/c to the Vitus 025 SIA . Really top class sound quality.
I am not sure how a 10B or DS would sound in comparison but both are quite intriguing and I am grateful for the link you posted earlier which was very interesting. If I were to change I think I would incline to the DS given the servicing availability.
Thanks again for all your helpful and informative posts. Do let us know what you decide to do.
Best
Barry

Attachments

• IMG_0451.JPG
    IMG_0451.JPG
    635.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0446.JPG
    IMG_0446.JPG
    278.4 KB · Views: 13

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
I had a Day Sequerra Ref a few years ago. It is a great tuner indeed. The build quality is from another world. It sounds fantastic.
I also had a Naim Nat01 in the same time.
Sold the Sequerra for another project and kept the Naim. If you have a very good antenna and good signal the Naim is different but very close. You can prefer one or another.
The Sequerra makes everything a bit better but the Naim is a bit more « human ». It speaks to your heart. Voices are so natural ! Less bass but o so beautiful. Medium is to die for.
The Sequerra had been revised 2 or 3 years before I bought it. Probably the Naim would have benefited a little travel to Naim’s factory also. I sold it also (bad mistake), and had some good tuners for a few years, but came back to another Nat01. Won’t sell it again.

Good to hear from you.
I have had a FM tuner in my systems for at least 20 years and went all the way through the Naims up to the 01 before swapping to Magnum Dynalab, Had a lovely 108 before the current 109 both of which I prefer to the 101. It is of course a newer model and a hybrid design but I find it has a more musical sound.
As indicated in my last post the Day Sequerra is intriguing but whether it is better than the 109 is the $64k question!

Reactions: Marcus and RogerD

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing