Is this sign of getting old?

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
When I was young in 1970's, I was a fan of Carpenters, Classical music like Mozart's requiem, Dvorak's Cello Concerto and Fritz Wunderlich's singing "Dichiterliebe" by Schumann.

On the other hand, I had no love for Elvis which I found too rugged.

But during last 2 years, I had been fascinated by Elvis voice.

"Are you lonesome tonight" really touch my mind especially since my wife is not at home to take of her 88 years old mom.

I still like Carpenters, Classical music but add Elvis on top of it.

Is this sign of getting old?

Reactions: astrotoy

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Thomas, I'm 3 yrs ahead of you LOL.

When my best mate did the plumbing in the chapel where we lived in 2016, he played Elvis on a loop in the van.

So, I got a deeper understanding. And now I can truly say I love the guy. The live stuff, tight as the proverbial drum, what professionals. And Elvis, the showman's showman.

"Thank you very much" for this thread.

Reactions: thomask

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I remember taking my daughter to Tower Records in the late '80's and we stopped by an end cap. She asked "Who's Elvis?" She turned 40 this year. Of course today people will say - isn't he married to Diana Krall?

Larry

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Thomas, I'm 3 yrs ahead of you LOL.

When my best mate did the plumbing in the chapel where we lived in 2016, he played Elvis on a loop in the van.

So, I got a deeper understanding. And now I can truly say I love the guy. The live stuff, tight as the proverbial drum, what professionals. And Elvis, the showman's showman.

"Thank you very much" for this thread.
I was modest boy looking for pure emotion in 1970's.

But now I can embrace for Elvis who sounds more humane down to earth.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
"Can't Help Falling in Love" was when I knew Elvis had real singing chops.

Larry

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
I remember taking my daughter to Tower Records in the late '80's and we stopped by an end cap. She asked "Who's Elvis?" She turned 40 this year. Of course today people will say - isn't he married to Diana Krall?

Larry
I am playing "The Wall" right now.

My system of Lansche 4.1 , Line Magnetic 508, Chord Dave and Mscaler give clear and 3 D soundstage with explosive dynamics.

Funny thing is that I did not used to play this kind of music when I was young in 1970's

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Thomas, I was at a wedding yesterday. Equal mix of 60s-80s classics, and modern, er, non classics.

No contest. Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson, Earth Wind And Fire, Chaka Khan etc beat the $hit out of Katie Perry, Black Eyed Peas, Justin Bieber.

I needed extra alcohol to even get up for the latter.

No Elvis, however.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Elvis,Frank and Dean pretty much have it covered for me. The man has a beautiful voice. Love his gospel along with the Rock N Roll. He has range. I even enjoy his cheesy movies that he hated making.
There is going to be a big box set later this year of live concerts, the live album on RSD is one of the concerts out of that set.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...e-1969-american-sound-session-box-set-853007/

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I didn't listen to Elvis in 1970. I still don't listen to Elvis 50 years later.
I just don't know why; Elvis is cool.

I didn't listen to Johnny in 1970. Over the years later on I started.
Today I do listen occasionally to Johnny Cash.

In 1970 I listen to the Beatles. I never really stopped listening to them.
The Beatles for me is like Elvis; Elvis is cool.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
I didn't listen to Elvis in 1970. I still don't listen to Elvis 50 years later.
I just don't know why; Elvis is cool.

I didn't listen to Johnny in 1970. Over the years later on I started.
Today I do listen occasionally to Johnny Cash.

In 1970 I listen to the Beatles. I never really stopped listening to them.
The Beatles for me is like Elvis; Elvis is cool.
I used to listen to "Yesterday" by Beatles on 1970's.

That was one of my favorite song

But now I think Elvis has more musicality than Beatles.

No contest.

Beatle's songs sounds childish while Elvis sounds like an adult.

It must be personal taste.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Elvis is cool, Elvis is more Rock&Roll, and Ballads too, and Romance, Elvis is everything.
And he was also a musical actor, appearing in several movies.
He was a women charmer, a star, a king.

I agree that The Beatles music is kid's stuff, I was a kid in 1970, I still am a kid fifty years later.

Hipper

Jun 12, 2011
Hertfordshire, UK
I thought growing old was signalled by liking classical and jazz? I've resisted jazz but like a bit of classical, along with pop.

In the UK the real signs of getting old come first at 50. You get a letter from Saga, a seller of products for the over 50s. Then at 60 you are invited to send our National Health Service some samples of your poo to see if you have bowel cancer. Having survived that at 64 I got a free bus pass, then a year later, an annual heating allowance (£200), state pension and annual bonus (of £10), presumably for staying alive. Perhaps there's a bigger bonus for not staying alive but I hope I'm not in a position to claim it just yet.

I'm not sure what more excitement there can be as I age - I'm only 66.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hey, on the way to work I pass billboards advertising "later life homes for over-55s".

I was born in 1964...

Better late than never.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
I thought growing old was signalled by liking classical and jazz? I've resisted jazz but like a bit of classical, along with pop.

In the UK the real signs of getting old come first at 50. You get a letter from Saga, a seller of products for the over 50s. Then at 60 you are invited to send our National Health Service some samples of your poo to see if you have bowel cancer. Having survived that at 64 I got a free bus pass, then a year later, an annual heating allowance (£200), state pension and annual bonus (of £10), presumably for staying alive. Perhaps there's a bigger bonus for not staying alive but I hope I'm not in a position to claim it just yet.

You still have lot to go.

I also enjoy some world music or even new age.

There are lot of things to go through before we die.

Recordsguy

Sep 6, 2015
There was a time when I didn't like-Bobby Blue Bland,but I love his music today,some music grows on some doesn't.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Beatles vs. Elvis.

The Beatles wrote their own stuff.
Elvis had a better singing voice.
The Beatles were in better movies.
Elvis did more drugs.
The Beatles met the Queen.
Elvis met Nixon.

Larry

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Beatles vs. Elvis.

Elvis did more drugs.
Elvis met Nixon.

Larry
Haha

But I still find Elvis's songs more mature than Beatles.

That does not mean that I do not like Beatles.

"Yesterday" is still one of my favorite song in Karaoke.

Vicov

Apr 25, 2019

I’m in the UK too & you haven’t started living yet.. I’m in my seventh decade & doing fine, enjoying my music more than ever & discovering new music via Qobuz. After I retired at 65 I got bored & got back into the workplace with a charity & started a consultancy business which funds my hobbies.
Stick with it, it gets better.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Beatles vs. Elvis.

Elvis did more drugs.
Elvis met Nixon.

Larry

I like it. :D

The Beatles' vocal harmonies have more "magic", more pleasant sounds for love and soul.
Lennon and McCartney were better writers/music composers.
IMHO

Elvis was the King of Swing Rock&Roll...Java, and later on Drugs.
He was all showman later on in Les Vegas with his suit and buckle.
He invented his famous Rock move, he was extremely good looking.
Girls melted away from his moves and good looks.

With The Beatles, girls went nuts over their lyrics mixed with their music and good British manners, and good looks too. They were more down-to-earth, more well groomed and grounded.

Then we had more rebels than Elvis, with the Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin.

But Elvis will always remain the King of the building.

* This is all Music Romance stuff we're talkin' 'bout here. ...Love & Romance.
The 60s and 70s, after the 50s Jazz years.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing