Italian artistry and world class sound...the world of Sonus Faber

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
The only advantage a small speaker has , is , well , it's small and cheaper to build ....:)
Umm actually, no! As an example, my SF GH's utilize solid walnut cabinets....not I think cheaper to build. Many other advantages of smaller speakers, which have been elucidated to here before.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Thanks, flez. Do you have it as well? It really is an amazing amp.

I wish I did thf99, but no. I have had several Gryphon amps in the past and actually considering a Diablo as an option, but not in a hurry. Gryphon is the best SS I have had in my systems so far.

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
May I ask on which experiences you base your judgement?

Well ,

many years of listening to different speaker designs and models , there is no real advantage or put another way , there is no disadvantages to large speakers apart from room displacement and cost .....

Regards,

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
Umm actually, no! As an example, my SF GH's utilize solid walnut cabinets....not I think cheaper to build. Many other advantages of smaller speakers, which have been elucidated to here before.

Not sure what you are referencing ,

A small walnut speaker must be cheaper to build than a large walnut speaker , there is no technical advantage to small speakers , apart from room displacement , if you have a small room big speakers are not going to work , in factuality its driver displacement which places this demand not enclosure volume ...

Regards,

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Not sure what you are referencing ,

A small walnut speaker must be cheaper to build than a large walnut speaker , there is no technical advantage to small speakers , apart from room displacement , if you have a small room big speakers are not going to work , in factuality its driver displacement which places this demand not enclosure volume ...

Regards,

Care to name one large solid walnut speaker? Do agree that you need to fit your speaker to your room size. Small speakers are IME better in small rooms.

Phildrini

Mar 19, 2014
I have Electa Amator Mk 1's which I am prepared to sell. They do sound so good and in my opinion better than some of SF's later more expensive speakers.

miniguy

Dec 18, 2013
San Diego area
Those of you who are small speaker fans owe it to yourselves to hear the Serblin Accordo. Unlike the non-Serblin designed GM and GH, it carries on more successfully from the GH, not the least with respect to its unique and brilliantly designed solid walnut enclosure. Neil Gader's review in a recent TAS is spot on from my perspective as I have auditioned them at length. A true successor to the GH.

David David

Aug 9, 2018
Those of you who are small speaker fans owe it to yourselves to hear the Serblin Accordo. Unlike the non-Serblin designed GM and GH, it carries on more successfully from the GH, not the least with respect to its unique and brilliantly designed solid walnut enclosure. Neil Gader's review in a recent TAS is spot on from my perspective as I have auditioned them at length. A true successor to the GH.

Accordo is successor of Cremona Auditor.
But not Guarneri.
Any Guarneri, this is a speaker of a much higher class than Accordo.

David David

Aug 9, 2018
How wrong you are.

Any arguments?

At a minimum, in favor of my version is the clear positioning of prices.
Accordo much cheapest than Guarneri.
But what do you say? Maybe you just liked the sound of Accordo, and for you personally they were the best of the best? Then there are no questions.
But the fact is that in the real world, things are different, and Guarneri is a speakers of a higher class than Accordo.
Btw, many members of the SF community around the world, hold the same opinion.

And Accordo is successor of Cremona Auditor. Not Guarneri.

Peace.

David David

Aug 9, 2018
Price argument is spurious.

Price argument is spurious ?
Tell this to BMW, with their 3-r and 7-r series. Or tell this to Rolex, with their Oyster and Daytona. Price argument is spurious. Good try, but no.
Accordo is nice speakers, but they will never be compared with Guarneri. It's just different leagues.

Accordo sounds closest to GH

You know, there are different opinions on this. Question of preferences. I did not notice this. GH sounds much better and more interesting than Accordo, IMHO. To my ears, the sound of Accordo is close to the sound of Cremona M. Many others I know of, also did not hear the proximity to the GH. You heard, and I respect your opinion. But I draw your attention that all this is a matter of individual preferences.

following Serblin legacy, not Tezzon.

You know, I think that In every delicate matter there are nuances. Look, I'll tell you something.
I think that 100% of the Tezzon is a Tradition-line. As for Futura and Evo, I think that these products carry the DNA of Franco Serblin, moreover, much more than Accordo. And perhaps, much more than Memento.
See for yourself: they have the same polished covers, the same as those of last Franco work - Ktema, and the same polished details of Accordo.
Futura and Evo use ultra-linear tweeter Ragnar Lian, the same as in the flagship of Ktema from Franco.
Finally, Futura and Evo, use a midrange driver from "crumpled" paper, and I think that this is the legacy of the same drivers that Franco Serblin once installed in Electa Amator.
There is a version that the guys from Sonus have watched the latest works of Franco (Ktema). But I also heard version, that during the creation of Futura and Evo, Franco collaborated with SF and consulting them. Maybe, these were his long-standing sketches, which were put in the back box. And then they was extracted. There is something to think about, is not it? All these details, which I have listed, indicate the correctness of this version. It's definitely vision of Franco, DNA of Franco. This is late style of Franco Serblin which we can see in Ktema, Lignea and Accordo.
Study the products more carefully, and you will see a lot of details and tips.
As for Tezzon, as I said, 100% Tezzon / Cucuzza is the Tradition line. This is a rejection of the classic G-stands in favor of carbon-fiber fashionable legs, these are new drivers and new tweeters, this is a new design of finish. And most importantly - it's a new sound of Tradition.
Listen to Futura or Evo, and your hears a intriguing and intimate sound, and if you understand in SF, then you instantly and unmistakably identify that sound as the classic sound of the top-level Sonus Faber.
Now listen to the Tradition. It's sounding fast, fashionable, and it could be something like Magico or Dynaudio Confidence.

Only my 2 cents.

Last edited:

Chris GH

Feb 26, 2024
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada
5 years and 6 months later...and I am reviving some Sonus Faber GH love!
This is my first post here so please bear with me.

Having been using Cremona M speakers, of which I believed to have some amazing strengths for their size...such as incredible bass and imaging to name a few....I was advised by my dealer(this is an addiction...right:) that if I ever get a chance to get some GH, Strads or Amati Anniverserio...jump on them. Six months ago, some used GH came up, 1st buyer passed, second buyer, me, did not pass...and have discovered these speakers are so much more than the reviews.

Lets talk about what many say are their weak point...bass. Granted, these do not have in your face bass punch like much larger drivers do, and they wont rattle furniture around on hard wood floors. One person in this thread said they do not go below 50 hz. I've read that it is possible after the first couple years of production this was addressed by SF by tweaking the cross overs. My serial no is about mid production...and the bass is much stronger than I expected after having read the reviews. I have stereo Rel subs that I sometimes use with the GH, but I mostly prefer listening to the GH sans subs. Sometimes, I have gone to turn the subs off as the bass was too much, and low and behold they were not turned on to begin with. I have an frequency sampler album that I played through the GH....the 50 hz tone is strong, the spl does seem to not drop when I play 40hz...but at 30 hz I hear nothing.....unfortunately in the lower regions my tone sampler is graduated in the tens...so I am not sure how far below 40hz they play...but the play nice under 40hz a bit....and the bass they do play is tight, punchy and so musical and warm(reminds me of the best hot chocolate on a cold night!)
I do believe the Karan monoblocks bring out the best in the GH...and their best is extremely good.

All other areas as well, I find these little speakers magical.

As we in the hobby do, chase nirvana (to steal words from Andy)
I thought I'd search out something else for speakers(something as good but grander scale). I haven't listened to many new speakers yet, for my smallish room, but in 2024 I have only listened to 1 set of speakers that has impressed me as do my GH...Raidho TD2.2. They had the same clarity and dynamic midrange of the GH, and higher spl when pushed....but at 8-10 times the price of a used pair of GH....I am not making the move.

In summary, I am in awe by how much I enjoy the Guarneri Homage....so beautiful to listen and look at. When I listen to fellow audiophiles systems with megabuck speakers, I enjoy and appreciate them too, but I am hesitant to sell my GH to help fund the next best thing...I just may miss them too much!

Thanks for listening!

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
I presume you mean the Franco era GH's--I agree with your comments and the way in which they convey well above their weight.

Such a revealing speaker and never phases one irrespective of sonics presented .One of the few transducers that were not meant to do everything "right" merely the important and relevant aspects of the musical performance possible from the confines of a stand mount Monitor.

A Classic to be savoured.

BruceD

Chris GH

Feb 26, 2024
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada
I presume you mean the Franco era GH's--I agree with your comments and the way in which they convey well above their weight.

Such a revealing speaker and never phases one irrespective of sonics presented .One of the few transducers that were not meant to do everything "right" merely the important and relevant aspects of the musical performance possible from the confines of a stand mount Monitor.

A Classic to be savoured.

BruceD
Hi Bruce,

Yes...I was referring to the Guarneri Homage, vs Memento, Evolution and Tradition. I haven't been lucky enough to hear the others yet...but yes...very happy with the originals, surprisingly so.

Chris GH

Reactions: BruceD

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
I owned the original GH and wish I had been able to keep it. Still remains one of my all time favs. When Strads came out I thought I it would be an easy "upgrade". However, I actually preferred the GH even with the bass limitations so decided to return the Strads after home demo. In fact I would still prefer the original GH to any current Magico speaker. The late Franco Serblin focussed on soul of the music and GH is still a masterpiece. Enjoy in good health.

Reactions: BruceD and Chris GH

DLS

Jan 12, 2013
New York
Franco Serblin gave up on trying to perfect bass from a speaker. He is reputed to have said, "When you want more bass, you miss it; when you have it, it disturbs you." IMO he was one of the greatest speaker designers ever - I've owned Minimas, Electa Amators, and Extremas (kept for 25 years). His GH design was probably his best work, though the Extremas could do more in right room with right power. You have a work of art and the heart. Enjoy them!

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing