Japanese Audio: How do the best compare?

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca
Kondo, Zanden, Accuphase, Esoteric are all big names and boutique brands are highly regarded.

What are your favorite brands and or pieces? Shindo.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Big fan of Zanden digital which I have owned (2 generations) for 12 years. I have heard the Zanden 9600 monos as well.

I have heard one of Audiocrack's earlier sensational systems with Kondo reference equipment.

I have auditioned Shindo preamps in the system...quite mesmerizing when playing Clapton Unplugged. Agree on its midrange.

For what it is worth, when i compared side by side with CJ, I found that on Clapton, that Shindo midrange was pure magic. He was right there in the room...alive. I practically bought it on the spot as I was deciding at that time. A few test tracks later, on certain orchestral, I 'thought' I detected that with the Shindo the violin lower strings came forward more (ever so slightly) than they might normally do in my 'guestimate' of what I felt the orchestra and piece 'should' sound like. By contrast, this seemed to me more evenly 'in balance' with the CJ. I came away thinking that Shindo had beautifully edged the mids forward just a gentle touch...and that was why Clapton seemed so 'present' but also why the orchestral strings seemed more forward and 'on display' in the orchestral ensemble than I felt they should have been.

It was purely a personal postulation...I went with CJ...but boy I still remember Clapton Unplugged. And the Shindo preamp remains one of the more memorable auditions in 20 years.

I would respectfully suggest Robert Koda could be added to this list of exotic Japanese legends. I will hopefully have more to say on this next month...

Last edited:
Reactions: paolo and amadeus

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Robert Koda - Excellent
Kondo - lovely
Luxman - superb value with some really good stuff
Air Tight - love the sound signature. I want to try the 3211 monoblocks.
Accuphase - not bad but would not rate it as high as the ones above although i haven't heard it in a while
Esoteric - used to hate it. Apparently the latest chips are a bit more palatable.
Shindo - Liquid
Zanden - Up there with the best
Soul Note - ?
Don't forget Techdas...or all the magnificent cartridges

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca
I do like the Koda Stuff, and I think there are some equipment, perhaps some of the best, that never see these shores. For example has anyone heard Technical Brain gear?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
BaLABO :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Like an R34 GTR :D

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I always loved Japanise tube amp,for their sound,quality of component and constructio.

In 1980/81 i had a fantastic pre HAL AMP,much better than ARC,CJ and Counterpoint of that era,and from 1989 until 2015 i listen always with Japan tube amp.
In 1989 i bought a top system from Yamamura and then Audiotekne,Audio Note,and had many products,Shindo Petrus,mono pre,with 300B Limited and Shinonia,Mactone otl M8V,Uesugi pre and phono for second system,Kondo.

Then i bought CH Precision and i am very happy.
Today if i had not CH i would like to buy Balabo or Technical Brain

Reactions: Cantus

moby2004

Jan 21, 2018
Another brand from Japan but not very famous : Spec Audio . Is anyone familiar with their amps ?
Class D made in Japan sounding like tube amps according to my reading but never listened to them ...

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
One friend of my friend live on Germany has Kaiser Kawero with Kondo M7 and Gakuon and bought also an integrated Spec and he prefers to Kondo
My friend on Italy tried
But told me good but nothing special

Reactions: moby2004

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
i'm loving my CS Port LFT1 tt and Phono pre. i hear that CS Port has been very impressive in Japan and has a strong following. just now emerging in the rest of the world.

obviously i think highly of my Etsuro Gold cartridges (bought three of them), which are made by Excel Sound Corporation (also Hana cartridges---a value leader).

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
Let’s not forget Technics, Pioneer/TAD, Denon... big companies but they make some really good (and some maybe not so good) gear. I love my SP10 Mk.3 turntable and my Denon 103r is pretty cool for the $ too.

I have never heard them, but am very interested in ALE and GOTOH drivers. I’d love to be able to build a pair of horn speakers someday and these are companies I’d be interested in checking out.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
WAVAC

One of the most beautiful sounding amps I ever heard was the WAVAC HE805... unbelievably present and alive. Saturated (but oh so seductive) tone. One of the few sounds I will never forget.

Reactions: bmarq

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I have one friend with goto 4 way system,one with Ale 6 way ,DEP Super,100 kg heavy also the tweeter,I had also a 3 way horn speaker with ale dE serie and 1750 DEP on one one way speaker
Awesome

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Robert Koda - Excellent
Kondo - lovely
Luxman - superb value with some really good stuff
Air Tight - love the sound signature. I want to try the 3211 monoblocks.
Accuphase - not bad but would not rate it as high as the ones above although i haven't heard it in a while
Esoteric - used to hate it. Apparently the latest chips are a bit more palatable.
Shindo - Liquid
Zanden - Up there with the best
Soul Note - ?
Don't forget Techdas...or all the magnificent cartridges

Hail Howie ...!

Good list , only addressing accuphase vs luxman do prefer the Accuphase stuff to Luxman ...

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Hail Howie ...!

Good list , only addressing accuphase vs luxman do prefer the Accuphase stuff to Luxman ...
I have never actually owned Luxman but have owned an Accuphase SACD player which was excellent but the recent Luxman products seem to have taken a major step forward whereas Accuphase seems to be stuck in a rut somewhat....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing