Jay's Audio CDT2-MkII CD Transport listening impressions

toddrhodes

Dec 17, 2018
After a bit of a heart-stopping delivery error on the part of DHL, my new CD Transport arrived today, the Jay's Audio CDT-2 Mk II.

A little background on me - I've been into audio in all forms for 25 years, and I'm 38. Passion for music and sound quality has always been a thing for me. Four years ago I built a dedicated room. Small, but effective. I built my own room treatments and have made due as best I can with what I can afford. When I first built the room I was strictly computer audio. Dedicated audio PC, i2s to an Aqua DAC, and I enjoyed it. A year after that I bought a turntable and some records and I was instantly converted. There was an ease with which the system produced powerful, emotional music that captivated me like my digital rig just never did.

Fast forward three years and recent vinyl pressing problems, cost of new media for mediocre sound, has soured me a little bit on vinyl. I still treasure my analog rig and the 600 LPs I have that absolutely sound fantastic to me. But so much of what I wanted to hear either didn't exist on vinyl at all, or didn't exist in a vinyl pressing that wasn't wrought with issues. So I decided - I really enjoy owning physical media, a library of sound beyond my hard drive. So I took a plunge and ordered the newest Yggdrasil DAC and a TASCAM CD player, used, off eBay, to use as a transport. After breaking in the Yggy, I was convinced that this truly could serve as a balance point to my vinyl passion. Sound was engaging, not fatiguing, it was quieter, dynamics were there if the master allowed for that. So as I normally do, I dipped my toe in and thought, the water is fine! Let's try a better source, so I selected the Jay's Audio CDT-2 Mk II as my transport of choice. Built in China, this player, now that I've held it (er, lifted it) and played with it - it is substantial and the worksmanship is something anyone would be proud of. It is a hefty item. But would it sound as substantial as it felt?

The answer is an emphatic yes. So far this evening I've listened to Jeff Beck - Truth, SRV - The Sky is Crying (Mobile Fidelity using the GAIN system, which has a wonderful synergy with Schiit multibit DACs), Metallica - Ride the Lightning, a frenetic, chaotic, analog-recorded and analog-mastered behemoth that will test any system's capability to keep instruments and tonal textures separate and palpable, and finally Yo-Yo Ma's Goat Rodeo Sessions.

What I can say is that in comparison to my old unit (TASCAM), which by all measures I was content with, the Jay's Audio Transport is far and away better. A few bullets:

• Bass is increased ever so slightly, yet it's more tuneful and focused, over my old player
  • Images on the right recordings seem to hang in space and show actual definition, whereas a direct comparison of the old player to a different (and ostensibly better) input on the Yggdrasil shows it to be more two dimensional. This is interesting because I felt like stage-depth was no issue on the former setup. It's another case of "you'll know it when you hear it"
  • There is a bright-ish section of piano on Jeff Beck - Truth, track #9 Blues De Luxe, that was firighteningly realistic through the Jay's. I had just listened to that same CD two nights ago on the old track and while it was enjoyable and engaging, at no point was I startled by realism like I was tonight
  • I gave serious props to the TASCAM for that "ease" to the sound like I appreciate from vinyl. Lowend digital sounds to me like it's trying too hard to do something. I really don't know a better way to illustrate what I'm thinking via text, so there it is. The Jay's just "sounds" effortless. It puts forth dynamic, engaging music when the mastering is up to the task.
  • For a CD Transport, this thing is built like a tank. Everything is substantial, yet the tolerances for the case work and the CD drawer are absolutely precise. A lot of effort goes into these, and it shows when you lift or interact with it, at all.
That was all written in my notes after the first disc, Jeff Beck. Since listening to the others, I can only say that the realism of this player is absolutely intoxicating. I know Ride the Lightning better than most every recording I own and I was not only discovering new nuances to it, but getting a better sense of immersion because there are many, many riffs and chord changes with subtle, yet emotional pull and each was conveyed in a way that made me feel something. I can't overstate that. I know that album really well and yet I was experiencing a connection to it that I probably haven't had in 20+ years, and I do own the original vinyl as well as a 2xLP version that is rare and sounds incredible, yet this CD absolutely shocked me with its impact and its raw power.

I can't say enough good things about this transport. It is truly special, and i've only owned it for a day. I hesitated in writing this as it could be a case of "new toy syndrome" but I used material I am intimately familiar with or had just listened to on the prior setup, and having spent the last 4 years listening at least 2 hours a night (4 hours on most nights), my muscle memory for this kind of thing is as sharp as it ever has been. I built this room for the expressed purpose of evaluating gear for myself. That I can share those findings with others is just a bonus. Apologies in advance for the length, but I hope this is informative to someone out there.

Last edited:

toddrhodes

Dec 17, 2018
Some follow-up thoughts from tonight. Discs played:

Clapton Unplugged
Jeff Buckley - Grace
Porter Robinson - Self Titled EP
Wolfert Brederode Trio - Black Ice

Even with a "pretty good" vinyl setup ($7k all in?) and excellent vinyl (OneSteps, AP 45 RPM, etc...), I've never heard my system image the way it is doing from this player and this DAC. Space, air, freedom of sound, it's doing things I honestly didn't think I could achieve in my room with my listening arrangement.

Bass is superb. I am a rock concert kind of music lover. I enjoy the physiological aspect of hearing live sound moreso than I get into the purity of live, unamplified music. It just adds to the experience for me. That said, with no changes to anything besides inserting the Jay's transport, bass is not only plentiful (I turned the subwoofers down 2 notches on one, 1 on the other), but it is the most accurate and responsive I've heard in this room. It is quick, easy to discern subtle changes in tone - it's just giving me more of everything I want but without overcooking anything. Added bonus? It's so good at unamplified music, I'm actually digging it more now than before. And since I truly enjoy discovering music, that absolutely warms my heart.

The last album, Black Ice, is especially brilliant. The placement of performers is tangible, the weight of the piano is perfect and haunting, it's dense without sounding bloated.

I can't say enough good things about this and I am frankly surprised how much it has revealed. It has me looking at little ways I can tweak or improve this setup because now, I think it will show those improvements to me. More than anything, I am throwing anything and everything I have at this setup and it's passing with flying colors. And beyond that, I just want to keep listening, sleep be damned.

toddrhodes

Dec 17, 2018
I'm not sure if it's a matter of the unit continuing to break in, or if my ears are just acclimating to the sound - and certainly a couple minor tweaks to my room have helped (more on that in a second), but this transport continues to impress. I'm having one of the few local audio guys I know come over tomorrow to take a listen, so I'm interested to hear what he thinks, but I'm just hearing a very musical, very muscular and natural sounding player. I can hardly find fault with it. The only, single thing I don't love is that if you hit Play after pausing a song, it starts the song over instead of resuming from the paused position. That's it. And I've adapted, so that's that.

More on the room tweak - this player, on full orchestral recordings is giving me a window into the performance that is letting me know a few things:

I have some area for improvement, I think in the area of properly matching cabling to equipment. I'll get to that in 2019, I hope, and it will mostly involve power cabling and stabilizer platforms and such, tweaks if you will.
I should not discount my small room. It does not sound small and the Jay's is helping me make it sound larger
The way this happened is I was listening to a James Horner score last night and a few things stuck out to me. One, is that my image was skewed a little - recessed on the left, a little forward on the right and almost at a downward angle if that sounds descriptive enough. You can imagine my surprise and my happiness at finding this because it's a level of resolution - without sacrificing musicality - that is a little foreign to me.
I worked with the left speaker, literally moving it around in an area not bigger than a small envelope. And once I found the spot the system basically snapped into 3D mode. I was already thrilled, and I need to verify this on more recordings, but while the volume didn't change, the room just burst to life. It was probably the coolest 1.5" move I've ever heard, haha. But it worked, in any case.
The soundstage now feels centered and flat (in both planes).

And the bass. It is absolutely addicting. Not sure if it's the Jays, or the Yggdrasil A2, or the DH Labs cable, or some synergy among all three, but the bass is thick and fast and lifelike and it has undulations in it and it can change depth in the soundstage - it's amazing. And that is where I always focus the most attention since it's the foundation of the music I love, so this is all just a little too cool for me.

So anywho, if you can't tell, I'm really enjoying my time with this deck (and the DAC, for that matter). The DAC is resolving enough to "show" all this stuff yet still keep a frenetic pace and intoxicating energy to the music. I know it's no Aries Cerat or what have you, but for my budget I honestly don't think I could be happier.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: NBPK402 and CKKeung

lordcloud

Jul 5, 2016
Round Rock, Texas
I have also recently purchased that same transport, and am also incredibly happy with how it sounds. I'm actually surprised with the amount of information if presents to my DAC. And yes, the build quality is up the best.

I have no issues with the sound, but I don't like that you can't turn off the display, and I don't love the play, pause, thing. But beyond that, it's basically perfect.

toddrhodes

Dec 17, 2018
It’s good to learn that both your experiences correlate with Srajan’s enthusiastic review.

I only wish I had more experience with higher-end transports because for now, I can only say how the Jay's compares to a good, but utilitarian $500 TASCAM player-as-transport. But I will say emphatically, my next investment once I get done with some tweaks will be to buy at least one NOS CDM4 transport, so I can keep this thing going for as long as the internals hold up :)

lordcloud

Jul 5, 2016
Round Rock, Texas
There are others who have compared it to CEC transports and the PS Audio transport.

It seemed to best the CEC transports, except perhaps the TL0. And seems to be better than the PS Audio. Of course, everyone's mileage may vary.

When I was looking for a transport, it was between the PS Audio and various CEC models. I chose the Jay's based on other's experiences. They TL0 is out of my price range, otherwise I might have gone with it.

Last edited:

afrancois

Aug 27, 2019
Belgium
I've bought a black CDT2-MkII. It's burning in right now. Later on I will install it using a SolidSteel WS-5 shelf and I will replace the feet with IsoAcoustics Orea bronze. Still have to buy a 110Ohm XLR cable to connect the transport to my MC3+ USB.
I'll come back in a few weeks (I hope to) give my listening impressions :)

richard_crl032

Sep 10, 2019
Singapore
Hi CK,

Please try i2S output to your DAC if possible instead of XLR.

Focus and clarity are very much improved with no ill effects and no need for expensive digital xlr cable .. I am using a cheap monoprice 18gbps hdmi.

Cheers.

Richard

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
The Jay's I2S digital output is a surprise.
But you must have a dac with compatible I2S reception with it.
One such choice is the Denafrip Terminator. They are perfect partners.

BTW please upgrade the fuse of the Jay cd transport.
And there is a less well-known but effective tweak of a better CD plug too.
;)

Reactions: NBPK402

richard_crl032

Sep 10, 2019
Singapore
The Jay's I2S digital output is a surprise.
But you must have a dac with compatible I2S reception with it.
One such choice is the Denafrip Terminator. They are perfect partners.

BTW please upgrade the fuse of the Jay cd transport.
And there is a less well-known but effective tweak of a better CD plug too.
;)

Hi CK,

Noted and tks for the recommendation.

I had given up on expensive fuses .. perhaps my system not resolved to hear significant difference but kindly provide link on CD plug for me to read up and perhaps purchase.

Cheers.

Richard

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hi CK,
Noted and tks for the recommendation.
I had given up on expensive fuses .. perhaps my system not resolved to hear significant difference but kindly provide link on CD plug for me to read up and perhaps purchase.
Cheers.
Richard
Hello Richard,

Synergistic Reaearch Black fuse is not very expensive. Worth a try!

Here is the upgrade cd plug for your Jay CD transport.
You may send the photos to your dealer and ask them to prochure for you.
8eed3e63-d8c1-473f-984c-5a72e75070d0.jpg
bf529211-1ce5-41fe-a2ed-072296e30f64.jpg

bebop86

Apr 1, 2013
Guys- thinking about getting this transport- Has anyone heard his new DAC-Hear great things about the MHDT LAB Orchid DAC??- Any thoughts- thks

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Bebop, there's a whole sub culture based on the different flavors of MHDT dacs, and the ability to tube roll. So Orchid, Atlantis, Pagoda etc all have a family sound, but sufficient differences to appeal to different buyers. And at c.€/$/£1-1.5k, unbeatable value. There's a member here whose opinion I really respect, he has a deep analog sensibility, has heard many more expensive and prestigious dacs, and feels the MHDTs are not outclassed significantly, and indeed in some interesting ways beat these other dacs.

I haven't heard any MHDT dacs myself, but it's hard for me to look past this brand, at the performance/price ratio promised.
The buzz about them on other forums is really noteworthy.

lordcloud

Jul 5, 2016
Round Rock, Texas
Guys- thinking about getting this transport- Has anyone heard his new DAC-Hear great things about the MHDT LAB Orchid DAC??- Any thoughts- thks

I can't give any opnions about the Jay's Audio with the Orchid, but I currently pair mine with a Balanced Pagoda.

I love the Pagoda and can see no downside to it. There are obviously more resolving DACS as you go up the ladder, and DACs that do more or less of certain things. But I can find no serious fault with the Pagoda. Especially after using it with a tube converter and using 6922 tubes.

I will be looking for a new DAC at some point so that I can take advantage of the i2s output of the Jay's. But if the Pagoda had the i2s input, I would likely stick with it for much longer.

Hope that helps.

Henri

richard_crl032

Sep 10, 2019
Singapore
Hi,

So
Hi CK,

Very cool and thanks a million

Will try them out.

Cheers.

Richard

Hi,

Sold my Jay cdt2 with spare $ to get the denafrips Avatar which sounds better, with 2 more i2s RJ45 outputs to better matched the previous Terminator as well as my new Terminator plus (TP).

When clocked to TP, the Avator femto clock is no longer used but synced with TP's ocxo clock that further improved sound quality.

There is a separate thread on the TP here and do get the obviously better TP instead of the standard Terminator if additional $2k budget allows .. comparison between the 2 in MY system in this separate thread.

Cheers.

Richard

lordcloud

Jul 5, 2016
Round Rock, Texas
Hi,

So

Hi,

Sold my Jay cdt2 with spare $ to get the denafrips Avatar which sounds better, with 2 more i2s RJ45 outputs to better matched the previous Terminator as well as my new Terminator plus (TP).

When clocked to TP, the Avator femto clock is no longer used but synced with TP's ocxo clock that further improved sound quality.

There is a separate thread on the TP here and do get the obviously better TP instead of the standard Terminator if additional $2k budget allows .. comparison between the 2 in MY system in this separate thread.

Cheers.

Richard

Hi. What was better about the sound? I have the Jay's, which I think is incredibly good. However, if the less expensive Avator is better, I would likely go down the same route you did

Henri

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing