JCAT Signature Gold LAN Cable

Davidz

Dec 12, 2016
I have been listening to JCAT's new Signature LAN Gold Cable for a few weeks and am pleased to report that it is simply fantastic. The music is much more lifelike, dimensional and grain free. It's amazing how much low-level passages are enhanced with more "feeling" or "energy," for want of better descriptors. The whole soundstage seems more organically knit together.

My front end comprises the Antipodes CX server and Antipodes EX renderer -- by design they are connected with a LAN cable. The stock cable, made by Antipodes, is quite good, but the JCAT is much better. At some point, I will do a reality check and put the stock cable back in, but I am enjoying the JCAT too much to be bothered (a luxury of not being a professional reviewer ;<] By the same token, I haven't tried other pricey LAN cables (and the JCAT is in that category), so take my opinion FWIW.

Having said that, the JCAT is well worth an audition in any high-end network-based system, IMHO. -- David

Red4765

Jan 27, 2020
Just want to leave my feedback here on the JCAT Signature Gold Lan cable.
When the cable first arrived, I had on hand these lan cables; Melco, Audioquest Cinnamon, Audioquest Diamond, Synergistic Research Galileo UEF, Synergistic Galileo SX. I also had a Viard Silver HD lan cable a week before as well. I can tell you that I ended up choosing the JCAT for my system.
I only use lan cable to connect my SoTM switch to Aurender N10. Results are from listening to streaming Tidal and Qobuz. Melco switch was also used. But I preferred the full option SoTM switch connected to the router with fiber optic, and 10Mhz Mutec Ref10 clock.

The Melco standard lan cable is the cheapest out of the lot and gave the least pleasing sound quality. It was qrainy, and lacked definition. The AQ Cinnamon was better than Melco. Pretty decent especially for the price, anyone with a good system upgrading from a cheap non audiophile lan cable would enjoy it.

Above the first two cables, I would put the Viard, the AQ Diamond and the SR UEF in the same league in term of their SQ levels. Viard as I remembered, had good tonality and pleasant smooth sound, only lacking slightly some resolution and fine details. SR UEF just gave a different sound. But overall it bettered the Viard, with greater dynamic, bigger soundstage, more detail. Then the AQ Diamond, which I liked more than the Viard and the SR UEF. It was an all rounder cable. Pretty good in most everything, very easy to live with. Good cable for the price.

Then comes the top performers, the SR Galileo SX and the JCAT Signature Gold. To me, they were pretty much on the same level despite slightly different sound signature. The SR SX was excellent in many areas. Highly dynamic, big deep soundstage, lots of micro details, bass, 3D, very lively. It sounded like it was full of everything. It was really an excellent sounding cable, the very best I have ever heard. Then after around 3 weeks with the SR SX, the JCAT came. When switched to the JCAT, I think I liked the vocal a little better after the change. The JCAT just sounded right in my system. It was less dense and not as rich sounding as the SR SX, but it just made me think less about the cable and listened more to the music. It didn’t emphasize anything too much, and didn’t lack anything in particular. However I would not say one cable is better than the other. They are just excellent cables with different qualities. Depending on the system. if your system is very smooth and neutral, adding a little liveliness of the SR SX could be nice. But if your system is already juicy, dense and dynamic, the JCAT may suit you more. These two cable both provide great soundstage, depth, imaging, smoothness, air, resolution, details, and could handle complex music very well, things that lower quality lan cables could not do. The two cables just have different flavours I would say.

I was a bit annoyed by the late delivery of the JCAT. But the SQ of the cable made up for it. Now, I don't think I have to upgrade my lan cable for a few years. I am very happy with it. Streaming music never sounded any better!

Last edited:

JayT

Oct 10, 2017
I have had similar experiences with the JCat Signature Lan Gold.

I have tried a whole variety of cables, including offerings from TotalDac, Viard, Wireworld and Vovox and Sablon. Generally, I would classify them as being on the more musical side of the spectrum.

My current reference for Lan cables are the Telegartner Gold and the Audionet N100 Ethernet cable. Generally I would classify them as being more detailed, yet not to the point of being harsh or sterile.

I was very pleasantly surprised when I put the JCat Signature Lan Gold into my system. The dynamics and detail level went up another notch! Tidal playback was one of the biggest beneficiaries. Decay of instruments seemed to linger longer. In fact by using the jcat net isolater, I found that I was able to combine one of the more "musical" cable with the JCat to create a very satisfying partnership for my system.

I admit that due to the price point I was initially hesitant, but now I can confidently say I have no regrets. Will give a more detailed review once it runs in a little more!

Red4765

Jan 27, 2020
Is the Jcat as smooth as the Sablon. I have Wireworld as well and that cable is not as smooth.

I have never tried Sablon's Lan cable. I have heard great feedbacks on their USB cable, and will probably get one to try soon. But I can tell you that the JCAT Signature Gold is one hell of a Lan cable. I chose it over the $2995 Synergistic Research cable (slightly different sound signature) eventhough I was willing to pay for the best. In addition, I had to move my equipments around a bit to accommodate the 1m. length, which JCAT only offer, it still was worth it. If your system is highly transparent, you would likely enjoy this cable. Usually my favorite brands of cables are just Siltech and Synergistic Research.

Reactions: Marcin_gps

Red4765

Jan 27, 2020
Synergisitic cables are bright to my tastes. I want transparent, but I also want warm and musical.

Have you tried the Galileo SX? It is much better than the Atmosphere X or Galileo UEF. The SX gives an open sound with some enhancement in tonality and dynamic, yet gives lots of detail, depth etc. Any how, the JCAT is not like the SX, I would say less dense and more relaxed. The detail is as good and very neutral in term of tonality. I have a very open transparent system (horn speakers) that is susceptible to bright cables. Still the JCAT and SR SX cables worked well in my system. They both give good tonal balance. As for musicality, I find less jitter from using better clock to give better musicality. Better timing and more resolved sound. Cables can only go so far.
Siltech makes some of the best warm and musical cables. But I have never tried their Lan or USB cables. I’m only using their XLR and power cables.
(BTW, I use media converter and fiber optic cable between my router and switch, and it provides me with cleanest signal. I use Lan cable only for streaming from switch to renderer, not as connection between server and renderer nor as I2S between renderer and dac)

Last edited:

Marcin_gps

VIP Donor/Industry Expert
Jun 24, 2015
jcat.eu
More affordable model is now available:

Reactions: Felipe Rolim

shapo

Jul 5, 2018
What's the difference between the two Gold models?

Marcin_gps

VIP Donor/Industry Expert
Jun 24, 2015
jcat.eu
What's the difference between the two Gold models?

The Signature Gold uses silver/gold wire and Japan Telegaertner Limited MFP8 IE GOLD RJ45 connectors.

The Reference Gold uses copper wire and gold-plated Telegaertner MFP8 RJ45 connectors.

Both cables are cryo treated.

Best Regards,
Marcin

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Yesterday tested this superb cable at a friend system with Dcs Vivaldi , MBL Extreme speakers & all MBL electronics . Thrashed audioquest diamond . So organic sounding , dimensional & super quiet. The bass performance of MBL Extreme is well , extreme. The JCat Gold Signature Lan just elevated it’s performance by another tier . No brainer purchase if your syst is upto it

Last edited:

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
MBL system

Attachments

• C07F4F13-655C-4BBD-A8B7-822F4682E5CD.jpeg
    C07F4F13-655C-4BBD-A8B7-822F4682E5CD.jpeg
    478.3 KB · Views: 91
  • 9F6C6701-8A70-4109-A1E8-30711A497A1E.jpeg
    9F6C6701-8A70-4109-A1E8-30711A497A1E.jpeg
    80.3 KB · Views: 97

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
M12 switch is special to according to my friend who receive it today. It’s equivalent to preamp or dac upgrade , so claimed my friend. Well, will have an opportunity to find out soon

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
We are smitten. Unbelievable

Attachments

• 9F581428-2390-47E4-9E3B-E8BEA97857C5.jpeg
    9F581428-2390-47E4-9E3B-E8BEA97857C5.jpeg
    644.3 KB · Views: 64
  • 1C5A879C-9F4C-4482-AF51-63284BCA5731.jpeg
    1C5A879C-9F4C-4482-AF51-63284BCA5731.jpeg
    630 KB · Views: 66

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
M12 switch is special to according to my friend who receive it today. It’s equivalent to preamp or dac upgrade , so claimed my friend. Well, will have an opportunity to find out soon

And as good as the M12 switch is if you add the Optimo 3 Duo PS in my case I heard ever a bigger difference than when I added the M12 switch, which was NOT subtle. The PS I believe allows the switch to work optimally although every network is different etc.

Last edited:

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
And as good as the M12 switch is if you add the Optimo 3 Duo PS in my case I heard ever a bigger difference than when I added the M12 switch, which was NOT subtle. The PS I believe allows the switch to work optimally although every network is different etc.
Friend waiting for the arrival of Jcat Optimo

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing