Jeff Rowland 625 S2 compared to 725 S2

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
Has anyone compared the JR 625 S2 amplifier to the 725 S2 mono-amplifiers? If so, what were the differences?

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
I decided to purchase JR M735 mono-amps and couldn't be happier.

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
Reactions: Addicted to hifi

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yes, congrats! Some very serious amplification there!

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
Yes, congrats! Some very serious amplification there!
Thanks. For a year or so a dealer kept telling me that I should change my amplifier. He thought the 625 S2 was a very good amplifier, but I wasn't getting 100% out of my speakers. Needless to say, he was correct!

Rocoa

Oct 17, 2018
Spain
I have the 625 S2 and Corus preamp+PSU it sounds fantastic with my Avalon and ATC speakers. I encourage you to try the Corus PSU. The sound improvement is not subtle.

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
Rocoa,
I sent you a PM.

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
As the M735s continue to break-in, I've reached the point that I no longer think about the break-in process. Everything sounds so good to my ears, I just enjoy the music without a thought of analysis. I never thought I would prefer the sound of the M735s without subwoofers to the sound of the 625 S2 with dual REL G1 mkIIs.

Last edited:
Reactions: KeithR

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
As the M735s continue to break-in, I've reached the point that I no longer think about the break-in process. Everything sounds so good to my ears, I just enjoy the music without a thought of analysis. I never thought I would prefer the sound on the M735s without subwoofers to the sound of the 625 S2 with REL G1 mkII subwoofers.
Glad you are loving the M735. Loving them compared to 625S2 with Rel G1 is something. Congrats

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
My intent was to sell my G1s and get dual REL No. 25s. In my experience REL subwoofers are more than bass, but improves spatial cues and the overall listening experience. Now, I just don't know what I'm going to do. I don't want to spend money for the sake of spending it.

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
My intent was to sell my G1s and get dual REL No. 25s. In my experience REL subwoofers are more than bass, but improves spatial cues and the overall listening experience. Now, I just don't know what I'm going to do. I don't want to spend money for the sake of spending it.
I agree 100% on the Rel subs and I understand the dilemma of keeping the G1s or going No. 25s. Maybe someone on here can comment on G1s vs. No. 25s.

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
The G1s are gone now! My dilemma now is change my DAC, music server, add No. 25s, or do absolutely nothing. The cruelty of this hobby is sometimes, not always, when we have a great outcome after changing a component we immediately start thinking what next. I simply don't know, what I don't know. E.g. will changing from my Chord Dave DAC to another DAC bring similar results as going from the 625 S2 to M735 mono-amplifiers? If so, at what cost?

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
Given you are not sure which direction you want to go, I would stay put. Just enjoy the great setup you have. Now I know that is easier said than done. Well for me it is.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
Yes, easier said than done! This one change has me reevaluating everything in my system, except my speakers. It took me awhile to change amplifiers, so I'm not in a hurry to change everything. I will try to hear a couple of things in my system, including comparing XLRs to my WireWorld Platinum series 8. It comes down to where is the best place to allocate money to improve what I already have within my budget.

Birdwatcher

May 29, 2018
EU
@ricjor1, any news in the system?

I am a great fan of JRDG products, had nearly all classic preamps, stopped on the level of Coherence II series II with Cadence, but now I use the phantastic Daemon with outstanding inbuilt DAC and really good phono stage. After all those years with several JR preamps (Consonance, Consummate, Synergy II, IIi, Coherence II) I was everytime satisfied with the results, as well es with the service, even here in Europe, so I made the step to the integrated. Curious, this is my very first integrated amp in all those many years of high fidelity.
Unfortunatelly I had never heard the Criterion, Corus and Corus/PSU, surely the pinnacle in JRDG preamp hierarchy.

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
Birdwatcher,

"@ricjor1, any news in the system?" Going from the 625 S2 to 735s has taken my system several notches up. I'm really thrilled with the change.

Reactions: KeithR

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing