Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Last edited by a moderator:

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Time for all to dump their Wilsons and Magico speakers .

The MBL speakers I heard a few years ago and again last year at the Singapore's distributor showroom was one of the best sounds I ever heard.

Down Under

Jun 26, 2014
They sure are good.
The Extremes need to be set up properly,like anything else of course.
I heard them at the Hong Kong show 18 months ago and was really disappointed.The 101E is a unique speaker and easier to set up obviously.

MasterChief

Jun 26, 2012
Sweden
I have heard them a couple of times at Audio Concept in Sweden, they are truly amazing. If I had the place and the money I would not hesitate one second. I also think you get pretty much for your money, for example they are 100 k cheaper than the WA XLF.

I wonder how 2 pairs of MSB M500 would make them sound...

Last edited:

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
A few years ago I heard an all CAT Audio tube system driving MBL 101E speakers, that system remains in the top 10 of all of the show experiences I've had.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
They are not for me. If you want a holograph of a performer above all else they are for you.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
These need a big ass room..... Several times I've heard them at shows when Greg was running tape, they were stellar!!

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
They are not for me. If you want a holograph of a performer above all else they are for you.

The question is if a holograph of a performer is realistic. Live usually performers are not that "carved out".

Reactions: Zero000

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
It's a neat trick but doesn't remind me of live sound at all.

But Valin describes it as if it were close to the real thing.

I do have to say, a soundstage that is not as dependent on the 'sweet spot' must be nice.

Reactions: infinitely baffled

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Good for him.

If it's easy for you to think it sounds like live music then you're doing better than a lot of people that don't.

I do the majority of my listening not in a sweet spot. The sweet spot only offers a small percentage more of sound... At least when your stereo portrays things very clear and evident.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Mbls are absolutely amazing and would love to own a pair one day.I have only heard the cheaper models and they sounded awesome.there flagstaff would have to be one of the finest speakers in the world If not the finest.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I read JV because he reviews his fair share of audios premier products. I would hold on to my wallet. He can be as fickle as a teenage girl in pursuit of boy bands. Lol.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Mbls are absolutely amazing and would love to own a pair one day.I have only heard the cheaper models and they sounded awesome.there flagstaff would have to be one of the finest speakers in the world If not the finest.

I think the 101E Mk. II and the X-Treme do certain things better than any other speaker I've ever heard. I also think it is fair to say they are unusually polarizing.

If an audiophile does not find them to be relentless or fatiguing, then that audiophile may very well consider them the best speaker he/she has ever heard. For people who find the MBL relentless or fatiguing, it is just not the speaker for them.

Reactions: Addicted to hifi

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I think the 101E Mk. II and the X-Treme do certain things better than any other speaker I've ever heard. I also think it is fair to say they are unusually polarizing.

I have found them to be extremely dependent on listening rooms, as could be expected for an omnidirectional speaker. In such speaker the ratio between reflected and direct sound is very high. IMHO it is one of the reasons why reports are so polarizing - they can disappear and fill the soundstage with electrostatic like delicate sound with great dynamics and imaging, but can easily sound edgy and tiresome, without any meat around the bones!

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I have found them to be extremely dependent on listening rooms, as could be expected for an omnidirectional speaker. In such speaker the ratio between reflected and direct sound is very high. IMHO it is one of the reasons why reports are so polarizing - they can disappear and fill the soundstage with electrostatic like delicate sound with great dynamics and imaging, but can easily sound edgy and tiresome, without any meat around the bones!
You are absolutely right Francisco, 101 E's are very hard to get right, OK is easy, but right is definitely a project. The difference between awful and wonderful can be 5 cm of misplacement, or a weak amp. Berlin is only a 4 hour drive from my house, i have to go hear the Extremes one day ! :)

Reactions: Addicted to hifi

gfroman

Dec 28, 2012
It took me months to get my 101E speakers dialed in to their present position.
But the biggest improvement that really made these gems sing, was adding the REL 212SE subwoofer.
Wow! Completely blew me away with the overall improvement in sound quality and imaging!!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing