Jumping in?

Macattack

VIP/Donor
Aug 21, 2014
SC Low country
I am running a customized Win 7 PC as a ROON core to an Esoteric K-03x as my all digital front end. The Esoteric is clocked by a Cybershaft OP17 Limited OXCO clock. That train uses Shunyata Alpha cables.

I am an avid reader and watcher of this forum and have taken more interest in the sub-forum of DACs and what it might offer me.

My question is: How far up the chain of new DACS (Lampizator/Aeries Cerat/ etc ) do I need to aim to achieve a step change in sound? I am not above replacing both my preamp and DAC with a one box unit.

I will somehow retain SACD spinning capabilities.

Humbly

Craig

Reactions: jeff1225

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Luxman is coming early next year with a new flagship one-box unit that will do streaming as well as CD/SACD. That one should be quite a piece, considering how great the previous flagship was!

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Luxman is coming early next year with a new flagship one-box unit that will do streaming as well as CD/SACD. That one should be quite a piece, considering how great the previous flagship was!
asiufy, Do you have any links to this new Luxman? We're considering a Luxman SACD Player and Aurender streamer already, but Luxman that does both might be worth waiting for ...

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
It's not officially out yet. As I said, it's expected to be released early next year.
I will post more information once I'm able to do so :)
I just wanted to let people know this one's coming, since it seems to be exactly what the OP was looking for, and it'd be a shame for him to purchase something else right now, only to have Luxman come out with their product right after that...

thanks,
Alex

Last edited:

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
asiufy, I'm not the original poster, but Many Thanks. The info may help them too.

Macattack

VIP/Donor
Aug 21, 2014
SC Low country
Thanks Alex. While I am really only interested in new DACS, a unit that has a good volume control might fit. Not really looking to move away from my current Win7 custom PC for Streaming.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Macattack,

With the Luxman, you can keep your Win7 PC for streaming, and use the built-in drive for SACD.
You can also check out the MSB products. They're pure DACs, and you can get a network renderer card, and use the Win7 PC for network streaming.
If you want a somewhat warmer/richer sound than what you have right now, in a stand-alone DAC, do look into the Aqua products.

cheers,
alex

Macattack

VIP/Donor
Aug 21, 2014
SC Low country
I have an opportunity to home audition the Newest Aqua La Scala MKII. Looking forward to that. Craig

Macattack

VIP/Donor
Aug 21, 2014
SC Low country
Long overdue update. I had the La Scala in my system for almost two weeks. It sounded great but was only slightly smoother than my K-03x. Not enough for me to go ‘spinnerless’. My target budget and keep it simple strategy does not allow me to add a DAC and keep the K-03X.

I will try to compare the new Luxman and continue to research other options.

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
Long overdue update. I had the La Scala in my system for almost two weeks. It sounded great but was only slightly smoother than my K-03x. Not enough for me to go ‘spinnerless’. My target budget and keep it simple strategy does not allow me to add a DAC and keep the K-03X.

I will try to compare the new Luxman and continue to research other options.
Haven't heard any impressions yet of the new Luxman, looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it! TIA for sharing.

Macattack

VIP/Donor
Aug 21, 2014
SC Low country
Currently contemplating a significant move if I am granted a requested in-house demo.

I could reduce cables and boxes by installing the EMM Labs DV-2 into my system. Would eliminate my current PreAmp, Master Clock and the K-03x. Yes, losing the ability to spin discs but that is not a priority for me. I rip everything I purchase anyway.

This would be on the upper end of my budget .

Macattack

VIP/Donor
Aug 21, 2014
SC Low country
Well I have made a move to a Bricasti M3, perhaps as a first step.

After being able to audition my buddy’s M1SE in my room, I decided to buy an M3. Currently running the M3 as my preamp with its LAN connection and loving the sound.

Considering moving to the M21 while I sell off a good deal of other equipment.

Being able to hear their products in my room was THE critical factor combined with their fantastic sound that caused me to make this move.

Reactions: JGlacken

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing