Just purchased CTH-8550

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
1st have to say this to me is up there with the best integrated amps where it just comes down to preferences rather than actual sound quality as it is superb.

Plenty of presence and weight and surprising dynamics, both much more than one would expect from a solid state integrated.
The sound is smooth, and importantly for me has finesse in that it conveys aspects of an instruments delicate sound including subtle low level detail.

The challenge in describing the sound is that for me it seems there is a subtle difference between RCA and XLR while using the Audio Research CD8; tone and dynamic were identical but I felt the XLR seemed more incisive and forward while the RCA in comparison very subtly more relaxed and similarly very subtle change in the mid-range timbre (hard to explain).
In all other respects they sounded identical IMO; such as for the smoothness, not lean and not cold in terms of sound presentation, along with same level of high detail and speed but without being analytical or feeling swamped with sound, and closer to analogue than most solid state manage.

I feel this is important as there are many similarities (most would expect them to be identical) but the few the differences were enough for me to have a preference and I feel this will probably be the case for others; some will like the RCA while others the XLR.
So it makes sense to audition listening to both.

If I think of close challengers to the Dartzeel, it would be the Devialet.
However for the Devialet to get close it requires the mono setup and even then it cannot match the Dartzeel for its presence-weight and subtle richness-warmth, however the Dartzeel combined with a high quality DAC (or integrated into a high quality CD player) would still come out more expensive than a dual Devialet setup as it can rely on a cheaper transport or straight to laptop with a USB-SPDIF bridge converveter.

One area for consideration though is the bass and it seems to me the Dartzeel will rely upon a speaker with reasonable (at least not poor anyway)mechanical damping compared to the Devialet that can be used with any speaker.
Using the Dartzeel with a speaker that has less mechanical damping suggests to me that the bass could be more loose/booming.
For me this is not a problem as it is not excessive anyway but a few speakers may highlight this; to me this is the engineering tradeoff for achieving the great sound it produces so is not an issue.
Others may perceive it as if the Dartzeel is having problems driving challenging low impedance speakers, but I feel it is not this but that some speakers have less mechanical damping relating to the bass speaker driver.
I am no speaker designer so take my rationalising with a pinch of salt :)

Strongly recommend everyone in the lookout for a true high end amp to go out and listen to the Dartzeel CTH-8550 even if they were considering seperates as it sets the bar for integrateds that most may not appreciate can be achieved.
Just make sure to listen to both XLR and RCA.

Next step for me is to decide whether to purchase Audio Research CD8, as a comparison will hopefully be listening to Metronome lastest CD player (CD8) in the near future.
This is a bit frustrating as I have a very nice Metronome transport but I really cannot justify buying the C2A DAC at its price.

As a background, my most recent audio gear has been Devialet (loaned a 2nd Devialet for a little while for dual mono setup), Audio Research Re5 used with DS450 and then DS450monos.
Just mentioning these as they are still recent enough to provide a useful memory-preference comparison to the Dartzeel CTH-8550.
Ok time to get back to listening :)

Cheers
Orb

Last edited:

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Excellent stuff congrats.it

A friend of mine has one driving his yg speakers and he loves it. Even if he does prefer his cj tube geat ultimately.

I am sure it will provide many years of musical enjoyment

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Thanks turntable.
And I can understand your friends enjoyment of the CJ as well :)
The 8550 to me is sort of in between solid state expectation and tubes.

And this brings me to one aspect I forgot to mention; I tend to just leave the CHT-8550 to warm up for 30-45mins before listening as the sound quality improvement is noticable compared to cold.
Ideally I would say over an hour to benefit from the blend of solid state-tube characteristic sound.

Hope others are enjoying their weekend listening to music as well :)

Cheers
Orb

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Orb,

Did you buy new? Allow at least 200 hours for a proper burn-in. I remember I almost returned mine, since its performance out of the box was very dry, with not much in the way of bass...

A local friend did the same thing you did, moved from AR separates (Ref 5 + 210 monos) to the CTH, and prefers the darTZeel by a large margin!

Now, regarding a digital source, my experience has been great with dCS gear. I've started with the Puccini, now moved to the Paganini system, and the results are simply unbelievable.

Anyway, congrats on the amp, as it's been said, it'll provide many, many years of great music!

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Congratulations Orb!

Great review, Thanks for sharing. My NHB-108 amp seems to sound better after about 30-45 minutes of warm up. Enjoy!

Joe

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Orb,

Did you buy new? Allow at least 200 hours for a proper burn-in. I remember I almost returned mine, since its performance out of the box was very dry, with not much in the way of bass...

A local friend did the same thing you did, moved from AR separates (Ref 5 + 210 monos) to the CTH, and prefers the darTZeel by a large margin!

Now, regarding a digital source, my experience has been great with dCS gear. I've started with the Puccini, now moved to the Paganini system, and the results are simply unbelievable.

Anyway, congrats on the amp, as it's been said, it'll provide many, many years of great music!

It is an ex-demo so thankfully no running in, phew :)
I can relate to what your friend enjoys with the DZeel, any idea what digital source they use?
Hah I was wondering about dCS myself and their very latest models, I must say I do like the Audio Research CD8 but want to listen to the Metronome as this is also a manufacturer I enjoy.
But I will not forget about dCS.

Thanks
Orb

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Congratulations Orb!

Great review, Thanks for sharing. My NHB-108 amp seems to sound better after about 30-45 minutes of warm up. Enjoy!

Joe
Thanks Joe and glad it is not just me regarding the warm up.
Hope others contribute their experiences with Dartzeel as it deserves the notice :)

Orb

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Orb,

He uses Esoteric, the latest model, I think K01. Haven't heard it, but I used to have Esoteric, and it's quite solid too.

alexandre

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
It is an ex-demo so thankfully no running in, phew :)
I can relate to what your friend enjoys with the DZeel, any idea what digital source they use?
Hah I was wondering about dCS myself and their very latest models, I must say I do like the Audio Research CD8 but want to listen to the Metronome as this is also a manufacturer I enjoy.
But I will not forget about dCS.

Thanks
Orb

Now that you are firmly embedded in the DTZL camp, you may wish to try the Playback Designs...i believe many people who own Dartz have found success in the Evolution Audio speakers and the PD MPS5. And it plays pretty every format, one-box and lots of digital inputs.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Now that you are firmly embedded in the DTZL camp, you may wish to try the Playback Designs...i believe many people who own Dartz have found success in the Evolution Audio speakers and the PD MPS5. And it plays pretty every format, one-box and lots of digital inputs.

I think one more benefit of the Playback Designs is the 50 ohm zeel output to the 8550 making a better connection.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I think one more benefit of the Playback Designs is the 50 ohm zeel output to the 8550 making a better connection.

good to know.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
good to know.

According to the PB Designs website of the PB-5

Analog outputs:

XLR: balanced, 4Vrms @ 1kHz full level, pin 2 Hot
RCA: unbalanced, 2Vrms @ 1kHz full level
BNC: unbalanced, 50 Ohms, 2Vrms @ 1kHz full level

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Yeah the Playback would be great I agree,
problem is that being in the UK I would need (my requirement that others over here may not feel is needed) a reputable dealer-distribution-support infrastructure and this is not in place I think yet over here.

But I still feel the reference Simaudio, dCS, Metronome, etc are equal in sound quality with subtle differences (some close to the Playback) to fit in with preferences.
Still, shame not to be able to check out the Playback.
Thanks
Orb

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yeah the Playback would be great I agree,
problem is that being in the UK I would need (my requirement that others over here may not feel is needed) a reputable dealer-distribution-support infrastructure and this is not in place I think yet over here.

But I still feel the reference Simaudio, dCS, Metronome, etc are equal in sound quality with subtle differences (some close to the Playback) to fit in with preferences.
Still, shame not to be able to check out the Playback.
Thanks
Orb

Jonathan is pretty responsive...we can both talk to him if you think that's a good idea. Open minded. I know Steve is a big proponent and has suggested seeing if Jonathan can help me out to audition one.

rnsa2000

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2012
Dear sirs,

I found this forum by chance, very interesting. I'm a future owner of a CTH-8550, hope to share information and experiences with you.

Best regards,
Ricardo Nonato.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Welcome and hope the info was useful.
Look forward to your experience and your thoughts on the Dartzeel.
Cheers
Orb

rnsa2000

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2012
Hi Orb,

here in Brazil I could hear the entire line darTZeel. I was very pleased with everything I heard. I have some friends here in Brazil that have darTZeel, including a friend I met here by chance, the Asiufy.

Rgds,
Ricardo Nonato.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Ricardo,

Congratulations! Dartzeel is amazing and I have to say my NHB-108 is a very special amp. Welcome to the forum.

Joe

rnsa2000

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2012
Hi Joe,

thanks for the reception. I've heard this amp, and it is really excellent. Have you heard any darTZeel Playback with MPS-5?

Best regards,
Ricardo Nonato.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing