K01 XD

rau

Aug 6, 2015
Wisconsin
Just wondering if anyone added a external clock to the K01 XD and if so what you recommend ?

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
I have a K-01xs with the esoteric g-01x clock. The improvement is not subtle and akin to putting everything in sharper focus. I cannot comment in any other make of external clock, sorry.
hope this helps

Reactions: Stump

rau

Aug 6, 2015
Wisconsin
I have a K-01xs with the esoteric g-01x clock. The improvement is not subtle and akin to putting everything in sharper focus. I cannot comment in any other make of external clock, sorry.
hope this helps
I will look into that , thanks

rau

Aug 6, 2015
Wisconsin
I will look into that , thanks
hope this helps
Was it a big difference ? Worth the investment ?

Last edited:

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
I must admit I was skeptical when I ordered the clock but it really made a significant improvement. As my Earlier post, I can only liken it to focusing the music even more than the already excellent CD player does. It bypasses the clock in the player plus additional power supplies etc.
I have not used with other manufacturers clocks so I cannot comment on that.

Reactions: infinitely baffled

diaZ

Dec 30, 2019
My personal impression resulting from experience with different Esoteric players/DACs as D02X and K01XS and N-01 with many different clocks was always and reproducible so, that the external clock was a huge improvement. And each clock S/N upgrade was easily recognizable.
But with the exchange from my N-01 to the new N-01XD, the former huge benefit with the external clock was now less evident.
So obviously the Esoteric DACs with all the different AK chips bettered a lot with external clocks.
But now, the new generation with the Esoteric discrete DAC, while being much better in comparison to any Esoteric AK-chip based DAC if they both are without the 10 Mhz clock, can not profit in the same huge degree from the additional 10 Mhz clock.
To the question from Rau:
You can easily be happy with your great K-01XD without a clock, and if you want to buy one, be prepared that the improvement will be there, but not so huge.

Last edited:

rau

Aug 6, 2015
Wisconsin
My personal impression resulting from experience with different Esoteric players/DACs as D02X and K01XS and N-01 with many different clocks was always and reproducible so, that the external clock was a huge improvement. And each clock S/N upgrade was easily recognizable.
But with the exchange from my N-01 to the new N-01XD, the former huge benefit with the external clock was now less evident.
So obviously the Esoteric DACs with all the different AK chips bettered a lot with external clocks.
But now, the new generation with the Esoteric discrete DAC, while being much better in comparison to any Esoteric AK-chip based DAC if they both are without the 10 Mhz clock, can not profit in the same huge degree from the additional 10 Mhz clock.
To the question from Rau:
You can easily be happy with your great K-01XD without a clock, and if you want to buy one, be prepared that the improvement will be there, but not so huge.
Thanks , I already bought the clock and it did make a improvement but if I knew the degree of the improvement before hand I would of kept my money the % of the improvement wasn’t worth the cost to me .

diaZ

Dec 30, 2019
Yes, congrats to your K-01XD!
And your 10Mhz clock is not a waste, you can later use it to connect your streaming chain ( Esoteric N-03T, SOtM sNH 10G,
etherregen etc.)
If your clock has only one output, i therefore recommend the cybershaft transformer type CYB-DS01 distributor, it fits perfect to the
Esoteric clock input demands.

RaChiK

Sep 13, 2020
I recently got Esoteric K-01XD: I am also considering a 10mHz clock, but have heard similar opinions that, there might not be a big difference. Have anybody tried USB reclocker like Innuos phoenix or Ideon 3R Mastertime. Currently, I am deciding to see if I need to go with reclocker or 10Mhz clock.

diaZ

Dec 30, 2019
My personal opinion, go for a good ( Cybershaft ) 10Mhz clock with 4 outputs.
And you can connect the clock to your etherregen also.
If you want to exit digital from your K-01XD avoid USB and select AES-EBU via digital XLR to your DAC.
Please compare and share your findings.

Last edited:

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Greetings from down unda,
Better late than never...

Came across this post, regarding clocks and the Esoteric G01x vs Cybershaft. Thought I'd share a recent trial; brought two of these on home trial. One was a slightly outdated Cybershaft that had only one 10MHz output. It added something to my Esoteric player but nothing too exciting. At first I couldn't tell any difference but after a few hours into play, I guess there was better timing or sharper focus, I don't know. I'm wondering whether it was more psychological rather than tangible...

After which, I trialed the G0x series from Esoteric, and that made an apparent difference! I was able to hear it straight away. However, as another member commented, the latest Esoteric players are already built and designed on such high standards, adding these external clocks do make a difference no doubt but the question is, at what percentage of improvement? For me, personally I would say somewhere around the 5 - 10% margin, if at all. Definitely no where near my personal benchmark of 40%.

So with that I decided not to go ahead, rather perhaps wait a bit longer to see what else they come up with. One thing I've learned over the decades is that the latest is not always the greatest. Sometimes it's about system matching and reaching a point of synergy. Once that threshold has been achieved, the upgrades are very marginal.

I would rather just sit back and enjoy those superb Esoteric digital playback systems as they are!
Cheers, RJ

RaChiK

Sep 13, 2020
I ended up with Ideon 3R Mastertime reclocker (using it since 3 months), and it did make big audible difference in my system. This made the sound more focused, rather than dispersed, little more bone on each notes and less grain. The difference was good enough for me to keep it and I will not go back. But again, my digital side has lots of chains (Router > ethernet switch > fiber optic > ethernet switch > etheregen > Server/CX > Streamer/S30 > USBe > Ideon 3R Mastertime > K-01XD). In this chain, everything did contribute to some extent, but the biggest difference (apart from server/streamer) was from fiber optic ethernet and Ideon 3R reclocker.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Rachik,
If that works then it looks like you've found a good solution! Obviously each system will have its own parameters and layout to address, hence not one's ever the same. That's why I don't take those reviewers seriously, plus they're highly paid!

Over the years I've also developed and witnessed in many systems, be it simple or ultra-high-end, the number of connection points deteriorates the signal... therefore I like to keep things simple!

Enjoy those fine tunes!
Cheers, RJ

MyFairLady333

Jun 7, 2021
I have a Cybershaft UPOCXO-20A Master Clock and it made an incredible improvement to the sound compared with much more expensive Esoteric Clock. The fellow in Japan who makes these clocks used to be employed by the same company.

Reactions: Big Dog RJ

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Nice one Myfairlady!
That certainly sounds like a great combination.

Just to add; so far I've tried four different clocks on my digital rig since the beginning of the year. Two from Cybershaft (one fairly outdated 2016 model with one output) and the other a later model with multiple outputs. The other two were Esoteric's own line, the G01 I think it was, and the G01x.

Although, all of them made quite a good improvement, it was only marginal and I just couldn't justify the spend. As I've stated before, my personal benchmark is 40% or close... anything less I'm not inclined, and that goes with any audio gear I may consider as an upgrade.
I'm not one who just upgrades for the sake of "upgrades" or marginal improvements and splurge into excessive expenditure. Not inclined whatsoever.

Although, I must say amongst those four units compared side by side, and all these trials were done at home, the Eso G01x was superb! I guess at the end of the day I'll wait it out, and see what else Cybershaft has to offer in time to come. They do make some fantastic clocks, without a doubt!

As for now, I'm just enjoying the digital front as it is, and its very satisfying in every regard. I'm also interested in a few phono carts just to experience a different flavour. So I'm more focused on that at the moment, looking at Etsuro, Kiseki and Sound Smith. I'll take my time to research these finely crafted instruments and learn more about them.

Cheers to Cybershaft, and enjoy those fine tunes!
RJ

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing