Karen Carpenter was a what??

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
No less a drummer than Buddy Rich said Karen Carpenter was one of the best drummer's he's ever heard!!

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Wow, she kicks it out. Never knew.

Fishfood

VIP/Donor
Jul 11, 2020
A very sad person. Voice of an angel. A guilty pleasure.

I think there should be a biopic about her. She had some awful people around her, starting with her mother. Not sure how to do it though because it's such a sad ending.

Reactions: ACHiPo

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Amazing! I remember when they were first becoming recognized, Karen would sing while playing the drums and be at the back of the stage. I understood that she was quite shy and preferred not to be very visible. One of my very long time guilty pleasures. I bought their records as they came out. Crocker Bank (based in California) had a great commercial back around 1970 with the song "We've Only Just Begun" that was covered by the Carpenters. I think that was the first song I heard from them. Lots of people started using the song at weddings. We were married in 1970 (celebrating our 52nd in 3 weeks), but used only classical music at our wedding.

Larry

Reactions: AThrillOfHope

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Do dharma drum frenzies keep you skinny? Word was she died of anorexia, but maybe she just had too many drum transports into the nether realms.

Gjo

Aug 22, 2021
She was a very talented drummer.

I don't think the front-and-center drum solos and features were particularly entertaining though. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Take Steve Gadd for example.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing